GDT: Exhibition • Canada vs. Sweden • Dec. 20 • 8 PM ET • 2 AM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
I think that this game has lower my expectations on this Swedish team. Yes it's just a pre-tournament game but doesn't feel good.
Once agian Sweden forgot to play hockey and started to concentrate on thoose mean canadians instead.
I think that Sweden will play agianst Canada in the finals, and loose.

LostMyGlasses*

People who think that Canadians are the only tough people in the world or feel more macho coming on here and talking about 'tough Canadian hockey' are idiots. Probably suffer from some sort of inferiority complex, or some big hole in their lives, and need to compensate.

I only saw one team out there trying to act "tough", and that was Sweden.

Canada played their game and one player crossed a line. Its hockey and it happens often, especially after a game gets chippy. The chippynes was irrefutably started by the Swedes.

TorFC-TML*

Oh, c'mon. :laugh:

Patrice Cormier is a heart-and-soul guy that does everything for a team to have success. Yes, that was a dirty play, but every NHL player has done that in their career at some point. He probably wishes that he hadn't done this, and I bet he's the one feeling most shame right now for that incident.

Ya thats a big of a ****ing stretch.

Cormier is a ****head and he is leading a team of over privileged ****heads.

I hope Canada gets embarrassed this year.

I have had enough of Canadian junior teams playing this scum bag hockey.

Its embarrassing to root for players with such a pathetic sense of ethics and fair play and I wont do it anymore.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
While I agree 100% that the Cormier elbow was dirty, it did have it's intended effect. Sweden got very chippy to start the 2nd after the score was 3 and 4-0(running Allen, rabbit punches, etc.). The elbow seemed to slow that down a bit. I'm not defending it, as it was absolutely excessive, but as the saying goes, live by the sword, die by the sword. Still, Cormier should get a game or two.

Kadri had some nice plays but he was again guilty of trying to deke 2-3 guys at a time an awful lot, and losing the puck every time. I hope he smartens up a bit and chooses his spots to try those moves better. Right now, he's 1 or 2 turnovers that end up in the back of our net away from 13th forward + PP duty, imho.

Eberle seemed to be everywhere the puck was when on the ice. A PP of him along with Hall and Kadri could be dynamite for us.

Hall is just incredible. I sure hope his knee is ok, I want to see more of him on this huge stage.

I don't understand why Sweden doesn't adopt a more NA style of game, at least when they are playing us. They have big, strong, tough guys that will hit and block shots. Russia adopted this idea a couple of years back and has been a nightmare to play against at the WJC since then. Sweden should do the same. They have the skill and size to do it. Oh and that Larsson kid is crazy good. He's rapidly approaching "step over my dying grandmother to get that draft pick" status. I also thought MPS and Tedenby looked quite good last night.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Lmao, canadians kept saying Markström dived last year.. Look at Allen in the first period :lol:

You mean the time where he got elbowed in the head and the Swede took the penalty? There was a great camera view of that penalty when you can see the Swede skate right though the crease and stick his elbow out right at Allen's head. That was no dive. 33:11 min into the 1st on tsn replay is where it starts

Markstrom's from last year was a dive.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
can somebody get me the schedule for all the prelim games, not just canada.

I can't seem to find it.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
While I agree 100% that the Cormier elbow was dirty, it did have it's intended effect. Sweden got very chippy to start the 2nd after the score was 3 and 4-0(running Allen, rabbit punches, etc.). The elbow seemed to slow that down a bit. I'm not defending it, as it was absolutely excessive, but as the saying goes, live by the sword, die by the sword. Still, Cormier should get a game or two.

Kadri had some nice plays but he was again guilty of trying to deke 2-3 guys at a time an awful lot, and losing the puck every time. I hope he smartens up a bit and chooses his spots to try those moves better. Right now, he's 1 or 2 turnovers that end up in the back of our net away from 13th forward + PP duty, imho.

Eberle seemed to be everywhere the puck was when on the ice. A PP of him along with Hall and Kadri could be dynamite for us.

Hall is just incredible. I sure hope his knee is ok, I want to see more of him on this huge stage.

I don't understand why Sweden doesn't adopt a more NA style of game, at least when they are playing us. They have big, strong, tough guys that will hit and block shots. Russia adopted this idea a couple of years back and has been a nightmare to play against at the WJC since then. Sweden should do the same. They have the skill and size to do it. Oh and that Larsson kid is crazy good. He's rapidly approaching "step over my dying grandmother to get that draft pick" status. I also thought MPS and Tedenby looked quite good last night.

You don't just decide one game your going to change your style after you have been playing it your entire life. Sweden's best thing they could have and should do in the future is to play there game. They are a good enough team to do just that.

Why do you think kids come over to the CHL? It takes awhile to get used to that high intensity style

Hermit Wizard Eater

Nov 29, 2009
Canada get favours no one else gets, that's the way it's always been.

Why is anyone surprised?

For ex., can you imagine playing a exhibition game against Canada in soccer, floorball, basket, handball or what ever... and you get Canadian refs?

Doesn't happen anywhere else than in hockey.
It could work the other way around as well. Canadian refs might be more likely to call stuff against Canadian players because they want to avoid any suspicions of bias.

Anyway, you only have to watch the games (not just 1 or two, but many, on a larger scale) to know that there is little chance of the refs actually favoring any team when it comes to calling penalties.

ONE FREAKING NON CALLED HIT is not evidence of any bias. If this is a recurrent thing (both in not being called against Canada, and calling it against other teams) then you might have something.

I thought Sweden was known for a pretty good public education system?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Canada get favours no one else gets, that's the way it's always been.
Why is anyone surprised?

For ex., can you imagine playing a exhibition game against Canada in soccer, floorball, basket, handball or what ever... and you get Canadian refs?

Doesn't happen anywhere else than in hockey.

If he doesn't get a long suspension, why shouldn't like 4-5 players hit an opponent with an elbow to the face once in the exhibition game next year - I mean, if you can potentially injure an opposing player and get away with it, why shouldn't you?:sarcasm: Even if you get suspended one game, the team can cope without these players when facing friggin Poland.

First of all, this isn't the NHL. Second...this is international play with juniors.

Just like last year in the Gold Medal game where Sweden got 9 powerplays?

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
O man,this is only the start

The Cormier hit,whats next?

Any predictions?

I'm pretty sure that something will happend if we meets in the finale.
And just as usual it will catch the players focus, making them play bad and loose.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
It could work the other way around as well. Canadian refs might be more likely to call stuff against Canadian players because they want to avoid any suspicions of bias.

Anyway, you only have to watch the games (not just 1 or two, but many, on a larger scale) to know that there is little chance of the refs actually favoring any team when it comes to calling penalties.

ONE FREAKING NON CALLED HIT is not evidence of any bias. If this is a recurrent thing (both in not being called against Canada, and calling it against other teams) then you might have something.

I thought Sweden was known for a pretty good public education system?

Acctually Finland is known for good education system not the Swedes.

But anyway is saw the match and the refs were clearly on Canada's side again. You cant deny it even you got those red/white glasses on. And it looks like nothing has changed ******* IIHF WAKE UP!!!

Last year refs didnt call the attacks on markström. But in this game the refs called every time Allen was toched but Cormier didnt get anything... I mean you Canadiens should just stay quiet and shouldnt wine a thing and just stay happy........

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
Like someone said, unless you can systematically demonstrate the refs are ignoring calls on Sweden and are favoring Canadians in penalty minutes consistently you don't have much of a case for intrusive ref bias.

Undoubtedly refs have biases but part of how you get to be a professional ref (generally) is that you demonstrate you can mitigate these biases and call a game effectively. There are a few situations where you can blame a loss on the ref: namely when he takes a goal away from you where it should've been a goal, like here:

Or when a ref calls a ridiculously long penalty (4 minutes+) on a play that doesn't merit it, or tosses out your team's captain or something for sub-standard reasoning. And probably lastly, when some player is getting hacked and bloodied (or even worse, injured) and the ref turns a blind eye to it (Näslund getting knee-to-knee'd by Steve Moore comes to mind for me as a Canucks fan).

If I understand it, none of that stuff happened in this game. The only player injured was Canada's top player atm, Taylor Hall. Bad calls happen every game and generally happen to both sides: what decides it is who can play a good PK and who can't.

If you let in a goal on the PK, I'm sorry but that's just hockey.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

But anyway is saw the match and the refs were clearly on Canada's side again. You cant deny it even you got those red/white glasses on. And it looks like nothing has changed ******* IIHF WAKE UP!!!

Last year refs didnt call the attacks on markström. But in this game the refs called every time Allen was toched but Cormier didnt get anything... I mean you Canadiens should just stay quiet and shouldnt wine a thing and just stay happy........

Maybe just maybe it was because he dove every single time

ILuvLucic*

This tourny is going to be one to remember. Book it.

Hey! O-Canada Go!

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Actually Canada did get a goalie interference last night.

And I'm pretty sure Swedens first goal didn't go it, but who cares, it was an exhibition game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Like someone said, unless you can systematically demonstrate the refs are ignoring calls on Sweden and are favoring Canadians in penalty minutes consistently you don't have much of a case for intrusive ref bias.

Seriously, would you agree to a lie-detector test on the subject? ;)

I mean, sure put us in front of a judge and we wouldn't have much even if we had OJ's lawyers, is that your point?

We all know whats going on.

Another thing, don't you think its funny that no of the play by play guys commented on the fact that the linesmen didn't tell the reff about the elbow? That is not even remotely "conspiratory", the first thing anyone who knows the game ask them selfs when they see that vid and knows that a penalty isn't called is -- "the linesmen saw it, why on earth wasn't it called?"

Like say the same thing happened in the NHL. One player injures the other with a blindside elbow two zones behind the play. The linesmen is without any single doubt seeing the incident, and it clearly shows on the replays, don't you think even the most homer play by play person would ask "why wasn't that called"?

Seriously, you don't think that question would be asked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad