Post-Game Talk: [EX5] Canucks lose to Kraken | Oct. 4th 7pm | 1-2 (Soucy)

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Almost like Tocchet is just another coach and all of this "the process will be infinitely better stuff" was maybe a bit wishful?

That, or this is a clear message to management that there is a giant, gaping hole on the top pair and it needs to be sorted out, and until it is, the 5-game rookie is the best option available.

A 60 year old coach with a bad record proving to be a mediocre coach would not surprise me. Really hoping for a surprise this year and not the sort of games where they start off poorly, and seemingly go through extended periods of the game without any shots/offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I just don't get it.

The mantra after last season was we needed a better partner for Hughes than Schenn.

Was it? My recollection is the mantra was "we need to not get kicked in the teeth when Hughes is off the ice".

A 60 year old coach with a bad record proving to be a mediocre coach would not surprise me. Really hoping for a surprise this year and not the sort of games where they start off poorly, and seemingly go through extended periods of the game without any shots/offense.

Mediocre coaching would be a huge upgrade on anyone else they've had post-Vigneault.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Mediocre coaching would be a huge upgrade on anyone else they've had post-Vigneault.

Yup, 10 years and counting....
bc-canucks-zussman-18-140120.jpg

willie-desjardins.jpg

142a86f0-9cd2-11ed-b9bd-4af688e48d4e

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I thought Abbotsford was a major city ?

Just searched it up on google, seems like a small town with some nice land

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Oh, I don't mean that, as that one there's at least an explanation for the slowdown. I mean the totally nondescript mostly straight stretch through the Sumas where it always just slows way the f*** down and everyone starts surging and weaving and tailgating and doing weird stuff to make it worse and then it always opens back up for no reason at all as soon as you pass the overhead electronic sign east of Whatcom only to become a mess again where you're talking about west of HWY 11 or whatever number that is when everyone manages to forget that the far right lane is going to disappear and thinks that they've found the loophole in the matrix and tries to pass everyone over there and then have to cram themselves back over when it turns out that, yep, the lane still ends eventually.

Somehow one of the only handful of times for me that traffic has kept moving at normal pace through that Sumas stretch it was an absolutely wild storm, at night, where it was blowing a billion miles an hour and the rain was coming in sheets, and somehow that was the time where everyone just decided not to slow down at all and keep driving like 160 in their 70' tall Ram 3500s with wheels spaced out to render their mudflaps useless and misaligned f***ing neutron stars jury-rigged into the space their headlights used to inhabit.

I genuinely consider moving to Abbotsford just so I don't have to drive through Abbotsford anymore.

You mean...you don't have to slow down every time to decide if you want to go to Castle Fun Land or not?

I feel like that whole area from Delta, Langley, Abbotsford...is really just a giant display of how the lower mainlander brain cannot comprehend "The Zipper Merge". Idk how people make that commute. I'd go ballistic after like a week, max.

It's such a weird sprawled city. Real pretty area in a very pastoral sort of way. But it always comes across like about a hundred agglomerated separate small towns of about 1500 people each, with maybe a 15,000 person town in Clearbrook mixed in somewhere.

A lot of people seem to like that for some reason though. :dunno: Seems weird to me to want to live in a "small town" but with the cost of living dragged way up like crazy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Anyway...funny to see Studnicka as an obvious placeholder for Pettersson. Curious choice. But nobody is going to see it anyway, so i guess it doesn't count?

The McWard thing is kind of annoying. I presume they just want to see how he bounces back after a rough last game. But at some point they need to stop screwing around and figure out who is actually going to play with Hughes.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I just don't get it.

The mantra after last season was we needed a better partner for Hughes than Schenn. We picked up two guys who are LHD but have a history of playing on the right side, who seemed like reasonable Hughes options.

Instead, we've ignored that completely and just nonsensically spent the entire preseason playing an unready prospect with 5 career pro games in that spot. And they haven't even played well together. And there is no way that McWard should be on a high-leverage pairing or that Hughes should be wasted as a soft-minute babysitter.

The way they've built this season around setting up Cole McWard to succeed isn't really any different than Travis Green's 2021 Nic Petan mission. It's just dumb, and it's forcing something that isn't working and makes no sense.
Maybe we are just hiding Hughes' true partner so people can't gameplan for us in the playoffs. Man is playing 4D chess.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Studnicka and McWard are clearly the two surprises of training camp.....I didn't see either guy having a ghost of a chance of sticking with the big club before the start of camp--but here they are.

McWard is being given a lengthy audition as a partner for Hughes; and Studnicka looks to be the prototypical fourth line winger; whose excellent skating skills get him in on a hard forecheck. And he has the added bonus of being able to play center.

I guess there's still a chance both guys end up back in Abbotsford--but it's good that at least a couple of guys have seized the initiative and are making it a tough decision for the coaches.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I just don't get it.

The mantra after last season was we needed a better partner for Hughes than Schenn. We picked up two guys who are LHD but have a history of playing on the right side, who seemed like reasonable Hughes options.

Instead, we've ignored that completely and just nonsensically spent the entire preseason playing an unready prospect with 5 career pro games in that spot. And they haven't even played well together. And there is no way that McWard should be on a high-leverage pairing or that Hughes should be wasted as a soft-minute babysitter.

The way they've built this season around setting up Cole McWard to succeed isn't really any different than Travis Green's 2021 Nic Petan mission. It's just dumb, and it's forcing something that isn't working and makes no sense.

Maybe Tocchet has had a convo with Allvin and basically gotten a “I’ll have another RHS D” guarantee.

So McWard is a placeholder. Or it’s his way of saying it to management.

Either way, there’s a few guys around the league that we’ve thrown around as cheaper options like Peeke, Coghlan, etc who they can likely facilitate a deal for.

And I keep thinking of Hoglander in virtually all these scenarios. Especially with his waiver eligibility and Mikheyev not seeming to be that far away. If they want to go with 8d, one of studnicka, aman, joshua, hoglander are going to be in trouble.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Maybe Tocchet has had a convo with Allvin and basically gotten a “I’ll have another RHS D” guarantee.

Either way, there’s a few guys around the league that we’ve thrown around as cheaper options like Peeke, Coghlan, etc who they can likely facilitate a deal for.

And I keep thinking of Hoglander in virtually all these scenarios. Especially with his waiver eligibility and Mikheyev not seeming to be that far away. If they want to go with 8d, one of studnicka, aman, joshua, hoglander are going to be in trouble.
I wonder if they have talked to Hughes about it. Maybe he enjoys playing with Mcward?

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

There’s have to be more to a trade other than a straight one for one because with Mikheyev on the roster, and not LTIR, they’d be around 1.2m over the cap.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Aww hell. I thought this game was on tonight and thought I got lucky with both kids falling asleep early....

What should I do now?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Just some notes on Abbotsford and Chilliwack.

They are not part of the GVRD, neither is Mission, but most consider Abby and Mission to be in Metro VCR. But not Chilliwack.

Population -

Abbotsford - about 150K, but metro Abby (whatever that may be) at 195K

Chilliwack - 101 K

Area

Abby - 375 sq km - and the largest area in the lower mainland.

Chilliwack - 261 sq km. Ranks 5 behind Langley TWNS and Surrey (tied in area at 316) and Maple Ridge at 267.

I am quite surprised, I thought when Abbotsford and Matsqui amalgamated in the 80's that they were 250 -300 K. Wonder where I heard that wrong.

But in reality we are all pretty much part of Metro Vancouver. When travelling I tell people I am from Chilliwack, and if they don't know what it means, I say its part of Vancouver, on the outskirts.

edit - The data for Delta says its got an area of 179 sq km of land, but a total area of 364. Is the difference something to do with Burns bog, or a lot of the port area including water? Doesn't make sense because the bog is only 50 sq km from what I see.

Re-edit I had Langley instead of Delta above ...

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Do people really think playing Soucy or Cole a game in the preseason with Hughes would make a big difference? Soucy and Cole are vets that have played with all sorts of players. Hughes is all-world and just plays his game.

If the regular season starts and one of them gets the majority of time with Hughes, they're not going to crumble. They'll figure it out pretty quickly.

On the other hand, if McWard works (and he hasn't been as bad a fit as some are saying, even with the penalties) then it's a big boost for our defensive depth.

I don't expect it will happen, and McWard will be back in Abby pretty early in the season, if not before it starts. But some of you are galaxy braining this a bit. Cole or Soucy will be able to get up to speed with Hughes well before the season is lost.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Just some notes on Abbotsford and Chilliwack.

They are not part of the GVRD, neither is Mission, but most consider Abby and Mission to be in Metro VCR. But not Chilliwack.

Population -

Abbotsford - about 150K, but metro Abby (whatever that may be) at 195K

Chilliwack - 101 K

Area

Abby - 375 sq km - and the largest area in the lower mainland.

Chilliwack - 261 sq km. Ranks 5 behind Langley TWNS and Surrey (tied in area at 316) and Maple Ridge at 267.

I am quite surprised, I thought when Abbotsford and Matsqui amalgamated in the 80's that they were 250 -300 K. Wonder where I heard that wrong.

But in reality we are all pretty much part of Metro Vancouver. When travelling I tell people I am from Chilliwack, and if they don't know what it means, I say its part of Vancouver, on the outskirts.

edit - The data for Langley says its got an area of 179 sq km of land, but a total area of 364. Is the difference something to do with Burns bog, or a lot of the port area including water? Doesn't make sense because the bog is only 50 sq km from what I see.

From what i understand, Langley is wonky because Langley itself isn't really part of "Langley Township". Also neither really includes like Clovedale and all that, which is effectively all part of the same amalgam. Fraser Valley gets weird with the way boundaries are drawn and things are tallied.

I think the measure that is missing from these statistics is "PPPM". Or "Poo parts per million" in the air. As a result of manure. Certain areas have distinctly higher quantities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad