Post-Game Talk: [EX5] Canucks lose to Kraken | Oct. 4th 7pm | 1-2 (Soucy)

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
well watched most of the 1st and 3rd. 3rd was at least entertaining. Nothing stood out in all of that for me. didnt see anyone was either good or bad.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Pretty rough game to watch. Not much surprising so far about this preseason except that they are keeping a lot of AHL guys around.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
These losses are coming with a Canucks team missing some of their big guns, so I shouldn't be too worried? Then again these lacklustre efforts by our bottom 6 (and a few top 6 tonight) could mean we haven't improved the supporting cast all that much. just a reshuffling of the deck chairs, as we have seen in the past with Benning.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
How did McWard look ? I decided to watch the Ahsoka season finale instead as the stream didn’t work on my computer

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pretty rough game to watch. Not much surprising so far about this preseason except that they are keeping a lot of AHL guys around.
They called these guys up because a bunch of the team's stars got sick. This wasn't the plan.

How did McWard look ? I decided to watch the Ahsoka season finale instead as the stream didn’t work on my computer
Mostly good but he had 3 or 4 notable errors.

Reactions: racerjoe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just goes to show how little credence there is to the play of AHL call-ups during garbage time of an NHL schedule.

Sorry folks, but Wolanin and Brisebois are AHL d-men. Very good ones, but AHL'ers nevertheless. The 'inconvenient truth' is that McWard and Hronek were the best d-men on the ice tonight.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Great GM’s puck up guys like Tolvanen for free

Ehhh...the Tolvanen thing was pretty lucky. Plenty of other GMs didn't think he was worth the investment either. He's had such a wildly up and down trajectory as a prospect/young player. Hard to get a read on. Still don't even know if this is actually going to be sustainable, or if he's going to continue to yo-yo between good and bad play.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mercifully the game has finally ended. Awful hockey game. We picked it up a bit in the 2nd but then the 3rd was again like the first. No Hughes and none of the team’s top 3 Cs is a team with no spine.

- best player on the ice was Hronek. Poor play on the 1-0 goal but otherwise was crisp and active in everything he did. Soucy also had one poor turnover in an otherwise solid game.

- I don’t get the hype on McWard. Easily the worst Canuck D tonight, multiple turnovers, the game is just too fast for him right now and that was not a fast game. Can execute a nice breakout with time and space but under pressure in his zone everything gets frantic.

- Wolanin was really solid. That should lock up a roster spot for him, you’d think.

- I’m pretty much done with Hoglander. Dumb as rocks, just doesn’t process anything quickly enough.

- Studnicka had probably his weakest game. Suter had probably his strongest game. Beauvillier somehow looks way smaller than last year.

- Raty is such an odd mix of mature, fundamentally sound NHL looking plays and looking totally slow and lost. Sometimes on the same shift.

- Sasson got better and better through the preseason and outplayed Bains tonight which surprised me. Linus Karlsson just sucks, no idea why they wasted 3 games on him.

- DeSmith looks like the best backup since Demko was the backup.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
That was hard to watch. Given the team's tendency to start poorly, management/coaching is going to be under a bit of fire for how they handled this preseason if it happens again.

There's been one game where the main squad has played together at this point, and we still have no clue how Hughes pairs with guys like Soucy or Cole. There's no way he's spending more than 12 minutes a game with McWard, otherwise we're in huge trouble, either because Hughes is playing too soft minutes (which this blueline cannot afford) or McWard is going to get murdered in any sort of high leverage situation.

Reactions: Lindgren and MS

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Glad to hear that Hronek was good ( he was also good against the Oil as well).

Obviously doesn’t seem to be having shoulder issues.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Just goes to show how little credence there is to the play of AHL call-ups during garbage time of an NHL schedule.

Sorry folks, but Wolanin and Brisebois are AHL d-men. Very good ones, but AHL'ers nevertheless. The 'inconvenient truth' is that McWard and Hronek were the best d-men on the ice tonight.

That’s totally fine by me , I never wanted Wolanin on this team as I have never been confident he could be productive on the 3rd pair .

I’m fine if he is the 7th defenseman but that’s about it

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Pretty casual game from both teams. Besides the building it definitely didn't have an NHL atmosphere and refs didn't bring it either.

Thought this game was a final audition for depth at F and D. Came away with not that much to be honest.

Not an impactful game from most of the vets at F. Some rushes from Brock and Kuzmenko (who was more engaged and physical) but didn't see much. Suter popped at more than a few moments.

Hoglander was much of the same. Can see great skating, effort, and puck skills but poor execution. Either skating into traffic, bad reads, fanning on the puck, or killing plays - just frustrating to watch.

I thought this game was a chance for Studnicka to stand out at C but didn't happen - might be a scratch C/W like Dries was for the reg. season. AHL guys were okay (Raty had some flashes, Sasson pretty steady) but nothing to change your mind.

Hronek and Soucy were all over the game, kinda just happens in preseason when you're the best D by far (like Hughes against EDM last game). I think all the D had a bit of an equal stumble. Myers was off getting into a meaningless fight and getting run by a guy a foot shorter but was otherwise pacing himself. McWard looked more unready and defenseless without the Hughes buffer - might just stay in Abby after the game. Wolanin looked like the most confident of the bunch. Didn't see Brisebois separate from the pack and was called on a softie penalty or two.

No complaints on DeSmith. Might have looked bad on the Tolvanen goal if the coverage wasn't horrendous. Had a miraculous save before that too I believe.

Not a great lineup but shockingly lacked bite. To see guys like Tanev and Yamamoto flying on the other side makes you wonder who's gonna push the pace for our team on opening night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad