Post-Game Talk: [EX4] Canucks defeat Oilers | 5-2 (Hughes(2), Kuzmenko, Pettersson, & Di Giuseppe)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Missed a good chunk of the game after Hughes second goal. Was very happy to see, hear, and read about PDG having another good game. He's had three good training camps in a row but has never been able to crack the line-up.

The big question mark for the last several seasons was who's going to play with Hughes. We still don't have any sort of answer.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I have to agree, at this rate we will get Hughes-Myers by default. Hughes-Soucy and Hughes-Cole are the only other options. Hughes-Hronek would make the other pairings a mess

At this point...it's either one of those options...or they find a way to go out and make a trade. I wouldn't count on that. So they need to get their shit together and see if either of Soucy or Cole can work. Or if it's time to panic.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Missed a good chunk of the game after Hughes second goal. Was very happy to see, hear, and read about PDG having another good game. He's had three good training camps in a row but has never been able to crack the line-up.

The big question mark for the last several seasons was who's going to play with Hughes. We still don't have any sort of answer.

Yeah. The PDG story is definitely a feel good thing. Somewhat unfortunate that it's facilitated by a messy roster...but he's clearly put in all the work and genuinely makes that line better. Helps that Ricky seems to like him, but it's one of those "coach crushes" that actually makes perfect sense.

The main takeaway that's harshing on me from the second half scoring flurry...is that yeah, we're still asking the same nagging question. Who plays with Hughes? We still go into and come out of every training camp asking the same stupid question. :laugh:

Reactions: Indiana and Vector

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Biggest difference I see with this roster is Hronek. Having him run that 2nd pair completely changes the dynamic of the team.
Hard agree. Having Hughes dance around on a shift and zip passes around then having Hronek follow that up with decisive passing and offensive zone pressure changes the way we apply pressure. It’s very noticeable when Hronek hops on.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
That was my issue (plus all my other issues as to why I sucked). ;)
As a boring nonstory: ...
I know with Luongo and Schneider, they specifically talked about the fact that they're naturally RH shooters. Which obviously doesn't work great with a left handed goal-stick. :laugh:

A sort of fundamentally limiting element. But it does seem to go a lot further beyond that as well.

But whatever. Playing the puck is like the least important part of goaltending. I'll take a strong goaltending development pipeline even if they all come out hilariously dicey handling the puck.
This is a kind of a big deal we should explain more.

I played right wing from the age of 6 to 12. Crappy goalie, I went to goalie camp thinking I would be better. I was. Until I had to handle the puck..

For those unfamiliar, the stick is left curving (for the obvious reasons of moving the puck away), but for a right shot.... shhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeet.
I used to start by wasting time switching hands, but the shitty left curve...

I could never truly get turning 'lefty', after 'righty'.

You do the rest...

For silly context:
Try goalie skates, instead of forward skates, and let me know how you do? lol

edit: thank you and great job Biturbo bringing this to light.

Last edited:

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I wonder if someone like Nick Ritchie on the 4th line on a two way league min could be a viable option as our face puncher to deter guys like Desharnais from doing those types of bullshit cheap shots.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As a boring nonstory: I played right wing from age 6 -12. Our goalie was ...

This is a kind of a big deal we should explain more.
I played right wing from the age of 6 to 12. Crappy goalie, I went to goalie camp thinking I would be better. I was. Until I had to handle the puck..

For those unfamiliar, the stick is left curving (for the obvious reasons of moving the puck away), but for a right shot.... shhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeet.
I used to start by wasting time switching hands, but the shitty left curve...

I could never truly get turning 'lefty', after 'righty'.

You do the rest...

I had the same problem as a goalie, but it never really bothered me much. There were other things that were far bigger impediments to me going anywhere super serious as a goaltender. Like my lack of obsessive drive and competitiveness to care a lot about being a poor puckhandling goalie. :laugh: The struggle is real though. So awkward. I remember at some point trying, or being coached to try some weird stuff with just flipping my bottom (left) glove hand the other way around and making it more of a weird press/sweep sort of idk motion. lol. Don't think that was the answer either.

It's actually kind of strange how prevalent it seems to be. How many people who end up being goaltenders, also happen to be the weird "right handed - right shot" skaters.

Reactions: Indiana and Ozone

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I had the same problem as a goalie, but it never really bothered me much. There were other things that were far bigger impediments to me going anywhere super serious as a goaltender. Like my lack of obsessive drive and competitiveness to care a lot about being a poor puckhandling goalie. :laugh: The struggle is real though. So awkward. I remember at some point trying, or being coached to try some weird stuff with just flipping my bottom (left) glove hand the other way around and making it more of a weird press/sweep sort of idk motion. lol. Don't think that was the answer either.

It's actually kind of strange how prevalent it seems to be. How many people who end up being goaltenders, also happen to be the weird "right handed - right shot" skaters.
I hear ya. I could never figure out why a guy that played baseball with a glove in his left hand, then shot left in hockey. lol Funny.
Yet, once the brain latches on, well, it's hard to change.
Hey, I had struggles too! My girlfriend and friends wanted to leave the arena with my stinky gear in the car.
You know the 'depths' of stink that goalie equip gets...

25 below, and 3 hot girls are dry heaving out the fully open window... lol

Surprised I wasn't single...
My GF begged me to call a cab; for my gear and me. I told them drinks were on me, after, and enjoy the sports' smell. lol
I stopped at home, dropped off the gear in the garage, showered, 3 times... all good.

Ahhh, the life of a right handed Goalie...

Last edited:
Reactions: DFAC and Indiana

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For silly context:
Try goalie skates, instead of forward skates, and let me know how you do? lol

edit: thank you and great job Biturbo bringing this to light.

I actually never really had any problem switching back and forth between goalie skates and regular hockey skates. But i did it fairly often...for a lot of years. Guess i just sorta wired my brain to separate the two, or operate different depending. They feel so completely different on your feet and operate so differently, it's pretty impossible to mindlessly forget. :laugh:

Ultimately glad that i spent all those years going back and forth though. Left me with a fallback to keep playing when i got back into playing after i burnt out. Goaltending isn't really something you can kinda dabble your way back into. Because it's hard. But also, because it's extremely expensive. lol.

All's well that ends well though i guess.

I hear ya. I could never figure out why a guy that played baseball with a glove in his hand, then shot left in hockey. lol Funny.
Yet, once the brain latches on, well, it's hard to change.
Hey, I had struggles too! My girlfriend and friends wanted to leave the arena with my stinky gear in the car.
You know the 'depths' of stink that goalie equip gets...

25 below, and 3 hot girls are dry heaving out the fully open window... lol

Surprised I wasn't single... haha dumpworthy

It's a fascinating thing. Even just trying to figure out why certain people end up shooting Right vs Left. The way there tend to be sort of national splits in the ratio. The whole baseball aspect. Even the way it ends up relating to something silly like golf. Lots of weird brain patterns in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozone

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I've been telling everyone here, not only was PDG always a lock to make the team, he's not going to be playing a bit role either.

On Hughes, I kind of think the Hughes "partner" question is one that doesn't really need to be solved. He's going to play by far the most minutes on the team and rotate across partners depending on the situation, special teams, etc. If he had a set pairing partner, that player would play substantially less TOI overall anyway.

At this point...it's either one of those options...or they find a way to go out and make a trade. I wouldn't count on that. So they need to get their shit together and see if either of Soucy or Cole can work. Or if it's time to panic.
Not really. I don't think it's much of an issue. Hughes is going to play so much TOI, it doesn't really matter who his "partner" is. His partner would not nearly play as much TOI or the same types of shifts as him anyway.

Reactions: Indiana

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've been telling everyone here, not only was PDG always a lock to make the team, he's not going to be playing a bit role either.

On Hughes, I kind of think the Hughes "partner" question is one that doesn't really need to be solved. He's going to play by far the most minutes on the team and rotate across partners depending on the situation, special teams, etc. If he had a set pairing partner, that player would play substantially less TOI overall anyway.

Not really. I don't think it's much of an issue. Hughes is going to play so much TOI, it doesn't really matter who his "partner" is. His partner would not nearly play as much TOI or the same types of shifts as him anyway.

I mean...it doesn't need to be a steady singular partner. Could always do what Tampa did with Hedman. Just play him with like three different revolving door partners shift to shift and depending on situation.

But there still have to be guys on the roster to...form that committee. Which...who exactly is that right now? lol.

Like actually though...?

Soucy - they don't like with Hughes.

Cole - they refuse to try with Hughes.

Hronek - still need him anchoring the opposite counterpunch pairing to Hughes so it's hard to play them together if you still need them running back-to-back shifts to keep pressure up.

Myers - no thank you, sir.

That leaves...Wolanin/Brisebois playing their off side basically? Or you just keep throwing McWard or Juulsen out there after looking clearly overmatched even in preseason minutes.

Hughes is great...but he's not a 1-man defence pairing. Still needs a partner. Or partners.

Reactions: ChilliBilly and me2

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I mean...it doesn't need to be a steady singular partner. Could always do what Tampa did with Hedman. Just play him with like three different revolving door partners shift to shift and depending on situation.

But there still have to be guys on the roster to...form that committee. Which...who exactly is that right now? lol.

Like actually though...?

Hronek - still need him anchoring the opposite counterpunch pairing to Hughes so it's hard to play them together if you still need them running back-to-back shifts to keep pressure up.

That leaves...Wolanin/Brisebois playing their off side basically? Or you just keep throwing McWard or Juulsen out there after looking clearly overmatched even in preseason minutes.

Hughes is great...but he's not a 1-man defence pairing. Still needs a partner. Or partners.
Yes. Bolded is literally exactly what I said.

I don't think it's a huge issue. Cole-Hronek can be a legitimate all-around pairing. For Hughes' even-strength minutes, you can play him with literally anyone for an OZ start. They've ran Hughes with Soucy for some trial runs in camp, and you can go with him for DZ shifts. I know everyone hates Myers, but historically Hughes/Myers minutes are pretty decent.

On the PP, Hughes will soak up the ice-time himself. If they're trailing, they can go Hughes with Hronek or Myers every other shift.

Their depth-level guys (McWard, Juulsen, whoever) are just not going to play much anyway. Maybe 12 minutes max, even if they are listed as Hughes' "partner" on paper.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yes. Bolded is literally exactly what I said.

I don't think it's a huge issue. Cole-Hronek can be a legitimate all-around pairing. For Hughes' even-strength minutes, you can play him with literally anyone for an OZ start. They've ran Hughes with Soucy for some trial runs in camp, and you can go with him for DZ shifts. I know everyone hates Myers, but historically Hughes/Myers minutes are pretty decent.

On the PP, Hughes will soak up the ice-time himself. If they're trailing, they can go Hughes with Hronek or Myers every other shift.

Their depth-level guys (McWard, Juulsen, whoever) are just not going to play much anyway. Maybe 12 minutes max, even if they are listed as Hughes' "partner" on paper.

Again, who are these 3 revolving door partners though?

If Cole-Hronek is a thing, that takes Cole out of any additional minutes with Hughes. Especially piling on the PK minutes as well. That's all he can handle. Hronek will only have a handful of overflow minutes he can really handle.

Where's the rest of that icetime coming from? Keep in mind, you've potentially gotta cobble together 20 even strength minutes. Which is more than anyone else plays...total.

It's all well and good to rotate partners...but you still have to have the guys to do that. We don't seem to. At least, not that they're really interested in exploring or building any chemistry with.

Reactions: Vector

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Like actually though...?

Its not complicated. Just call up Willander and let him work his way into being Hughes partner for the next 10 years. And please don't anyone respond like this is a serious comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad