Blue Jays Discussion: Everything sucks except the all-star: Justin Smoak

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
What an odd order to out those names in.

You were one of those "Stroman should be in the bullpen for the playoffs '15" and "Lirano over Stroman Wild card game '16" truthers, weren't you? :laugh:

They are in no specific order. No I love Stroman and always believe he is a front end starter.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the washington nationals will, as everyone knows, seek a big-time closer, with ex-nat mark melancon, tony watson, kelvin herrera and of course david robertson among those on their list, according to sources.
the nats don’t see the toronto blue jays as likely to trade closer roberto osuna, and the same is probably true for the tampa bay rays and alex colome, but those are two more closers who would interest them. Osuna has 19 saves in 22 chances. Colome has 20 saves in 23 opportunities with a 2.43 era.
detroit tigers reliever justin wilson is another closer who interests the nats, according to ken rosenthal of fox sports and mlb network.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Why did the A's DFA Vogt, and can anyone think of a reason for us not to pick him up to replace Maille?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Who are you talking about? I'm talking about the whole team

I was talking about Stroman, I thought that's who you are talking about. He's over-rated. He's not a top of the rotation starter. I would peg him as a really good #3.

As for Vogt, the A's are finally letting the young guys play. He's expandable. Hasn't had a great start to the year, but I think he can still play. Not the greatest defensively but can still hit. Maybe.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Its too bad the numbers and the eye test support he is more than a #3. He is underrated

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I was talking about Stroman, I thought that's who you are talking about. He's over-rated. He's not a top of the rotation starter. I would peg him as a really good #3.

As for Vogt, the A's are finally letting the young guys play. He's expandable. Hasn't had a great start to the year, but I think he can still play. Not the greatest defensively but can still hit. Maybe.

:biglaugh: Dear lord. A number 3? He's already proven you wrong. 1 bad game doesn't change that

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
is there any update on our top3 picks signing? do we know if they are likely or unlikely to sign?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Agreed. He should definitely pitch out of the bullpen in the playoffs when he comes back from the injured knee (if he even comes back this year). Honestly, should probably stay there permanently going forward on account of his height. #zaunbienation

For all the sober people in the thread, the only place Vogt should be considered an acceptable catcher is fantasy baseball (because that eligibility is how you win chips). Couple that with his 85 wRC+ over the last two calendar years, and you have your answer as to why he was DFA'd.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
85wrc+ is better than most of our bench guys. As a pinch-hitting vRHP utility guy/3rd catcher I'd take a flyer on him.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
85wrc+ is better than most of our bench guys. As a pinch-hitting vRHP utility guy/3rd catcher I'd take a flyer on him.

He is not a utility guy, as you have to actually be able to competently play more than one position to be considered a utility guy. He would simply be taking up a spot on the 40-man and the bench that could be filled by a Leblebijian.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
eh, main job would be as a pinch hitter. he can fill in LF/1B. and especially to pinch hit for Maile. He would replace Coghlan.

UT Vogt 97wrc+ (projected)
OF Carrera 86 / Smith 83
IF Barney 67
C Maile 54

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
eh, main job would be as a pinch hitter. he can fill in LF/1B. and especially to pinch hit for Maile. He would replace Coghlan.

UT Vogt 97wrc+ (projected)
OF Carrera 86 / Smith 83
IF Barney 67
C Maile 54

I think it would come down to if there's another team who would let him catch.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Its too bad the numbers and the eye test support he is more than a #3. He is underrated

That's why I'm not surprised why Blue Jays fans are always surprised why the team is not doing as well as expected. Because you overvalue your players.

What's that Tulo is not hitting that well? Maybe his numbers were inflated in COL and he was never that good of a hitter. What's that? Bautista is hitting 220 again? Maybe he's not the hitter he once was. What's that? Martin is barely hitting over 200, maybe he was never that good of a contact hitter. What's that Estrada is getting blown up? Maybe his stuff is not good enough to sustain his play over the past year. What's that? Liriano is wildly inconsistent? Maybe because his control is wildly inconsistent.

This team is a .500 team, whether you expected it or not.

:biglaugh: Dear lord. A number 3? He's already proven you wrong. 1 bad game doesn't change that

Uh, he's had more than one bad game. He's had more good games than bad games, I'll give you that. But I think you forget how mediocre he was last year. He's not a top of the rotation starter. I'll maintain that. Sanchez on the other hand is a bonafide ace.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Uh, he's had more than one bad game. He's had more good games than bad games, I'll give you that. But I think you forget how mediocre he was last year. He's not a top of the rotation starter. I'll maintain that. Sanchez on the other hand is a bonafide ace.

Please list, oh whimsical stranger, the starting pitchers who are top of the rotation starters in baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad