OT: Everything COVID19 - PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Every single one of my friends is now at least booked for a vaccine (all to be recieved within 2 weeks)! Including their husbands! We are all in our 30s (some got it earlier due to being pregnant or health care professionals), but in our region anyone over 12 can register! And I should be able to finally get my 2nd dose sooner too.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The unabomber was also incredibly smart. I don't know what anything you wrote has to do with a writer repeatedly called out by published scientists for misinterpreting their works but I'm not surprised you dodged once again.

So let me repeat it again: The article you are citing is by a guy who has been repeatedly called out by published scientists for misinterpreting their work.

Now I guess 14 Nobel Laureates are fine with donating to an organization that produces shoddy work but being a Nobel Laureate doesn't make you infallible.
How many times was he called out in 30 years? Seeing as he worked for a reputable publisher has he been sued for his shoddy work? I'm curious because that would help me understand why he is not a valid source.

Thanks.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Like I said, I don't know if what was said in the video is accurate so I actually read the article. It's interesting. You didn't read it but know how to form an opinion on it. There is nothing else to see here. Trying to establish links to conspiracies has to do with your own biases not mine.

I agree that was an interesting article. Seems like some good detective work. I have no way of knowing if he has been discredited by 14 Nobel Laureates or if what he wrote is true. But it sure made me wonder. I'd definitely want to follow up on it.

The author wasnt the only one making those claims. There are others including the former head of the CDC who said similar things. Many respected scientists have posited this idea. They just admit we cant know yet.

Of course the conclusion of the article is we cant know either way whether it came from a lab or naturally. Hopefully one day we will.

But the video was suggesting that the research to make the virus more dangerous to study it was the issue and should be stopped as it was the cause. The video is trash. But the article was intriguing and nuanced. Hopefully i didnt just fall for some well done propaganda after reading it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I agree that was an interesting article. Seems like some good detective work. I have no way of knowing if he has been discredited by 14 Nobel Laureates or if what he wrote is true. But it sure made me wonder. I'd definitely want to follow up on it.

The author wasnt the only one making those claims. There are others including the former head of the CDC who said similar things. Many respected scientists have posited this idea. They just admit we cant know yet.

Of course the conclusion of the article is we cant know either way whether it came from a lab or naturally. Hopefully one day we will.

But the video was suggesting that the research to make the virus more dangerous to study it was the issue and should be stopped as it was the cause. The video is trash. But the article was intriguing and nuanced. Hopefully i didnt just fall for some well done propaganda after reading it.
He wasn't discredited by 14 Nobel Laureates, 14 Laureates make up the Board of Sponsors who support the organization.

The idea of finding viruses and making them stronger just to study them is one of the chilling things i never knew about. Just think of all of the things happening in private labs around the world.

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Have you looked at what is being discussed in the clip. To verify if what is being said is accurate? The way I look at it is an opinion on a newsworthy story. On the surface I have no idea if what is being said is true so the onus is on me to look into it. Its no different if CNN or CBC do the same. Important facts could be left out that help explain the situation. I would like to think there are some independent people who are passionate about gaining a better understanding.

In this clip they are speaking about Nicholas Wade, a British author and journalist. He served as the staff writer for the Science Times section of The New York Times from 1982 to 2012.

Here is the article they are speaking of:

The origin of COVID: Did people or nature open Pandora’s box at Wuhan? - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists

It is up to you whether or not to take it further or classify it as some guy on a street corner.

I still don't get why people don't actually listen to what is being said objectively and try to learn more about it. The simplicity of it is that people really don't care except for telling you that you can't be right . that's easy.

If I post a clip someone always argues about the messenger but never actually critics the message I'm not trying to preach but expose an opinion that should be worthy of debate.

I posted a clip about the virus possibly being released from a lab a year ago but because it wasn't a mainstream story it couldn't have been even close to the truth. Instead people are shown wet markets that have been around for thousands of years and people eating bat soup as a way to fill in the blanks because the public demands answers.(they don't even have to be right) They log that in their subconscious and never need to update their opinion, like with most media stories.

There is sensationalism everywhere but in it there is a story that is waiting to be understood.

So did China create the variants too? Because one thing is clear from this past year, we have four new variants and likely more on the horizon. China does not have the wherewithal to produce a virus in a lab. A lab made virus would be genetically imperfect and likely far easier to deal with than what nature created.

Think about how long the rest of the world has taken to produce vaccines, for said virus, while it mutated. Vaccines are infinitely more simple than a virus. We simply created RNA from the spike protein of the virus, so it is not as though we even attempted to recreate the entire virus again.

China has had a difficult time creating an efficient vaccine for this virus that the article is supposedly suggesting China designed in a lab? https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/china-vaccines-covid-19-low-efficacy-1.5983594 They asked for companies like Pfizer and Moderna to loosen their patent restrictions, so that China and other countries can have better access to the mRNA vaccines. Also, the numbers you see on google regarding China's infection rate are false. China still has ongoing out breaks, despite their draconian measures. They are over 150,000 infections or more based on inside data for their own people, yet google is only showing 90,000+.

Last edited:
Reactions: pzeeman

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
So did China create the variants too? Because one thing is clear from this past year, we have four new variants and likely more on the horizon. China does not have the wherewithal to produce a virus in a lab. A lab made virus would be genetically imperfect and likely far easier to deal with than what nature created.

Think about how long the rest of the world has taken to produce vaccines, for said virus, while it mutated. Vaccines are infinitely more simple than a virus. We simply created RNA from the spike protein of the virus, so it is not as though we even attempted to recreate the entire virus again.

China has had a difficult time creating an efficient vaccine for this virus that the article is supposedly suggesting China designed in a lab? https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/china-vaccines-covid-19-low-efficacy-1.5983594 They asked for companies like Pfizer and Moderna to loosen their patent restrictions, so that China and other countries can have better access to the mRNA vaccines. Also, the numbers you see on google regarding China's infection rate are false. China still has ongoing out breaks, despite their draconian measures. They are over 150,000 infections or more based on inside data for their own people, yet google is only showing 90,000+.
Just read the article.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
They shut down the AZ vaccine....This nightmare has no end. We need to get first doses to ~ 4-5 million more Ontarians and the most readily available is now stopped. First doses may now extend to December. How will they handle that against the second dose scheduling...and supply!!!!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They shut down the AZ vaccine....This nightmare has no end. We need to get first doses to ~ 4-5 million more Ontarians and the most readily available is now stopped. First doses may now extend to December. How will they handle that against the second dose scheduling...and supply!!!!

There's virtually no AZ left at the moment. There's enough mRNA coming to vaccinate pretty much everyone by end of June

The bigger issue is what to do with the 2nd shot for tjose that had AZ

Reactions: DrEasy

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
There's virtually no AZ left at the moment. There's enough mRNA coming to vaccinate pretty much everyone by end of June

The bigger issue is what to do with the 2nd shot for those that had AZ

So a bad problem, just got worse!!!!

I hope you are right about the mRNA. We have had smoke up our behind for a couple of months now, I have zero faith. I am scheduled for shot one in 2 weeks.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Pretty sure Pfizer is the most readily available. 5 million doses to Ontario of Pfizer, Moderna is at around 1.5 million and then 900K for AZ (and Pfizer is approved now for use out of super freezers for 5 days making it better for distribution).

Also Pfizer is predicted to deliver 780k doses each week in May, then 980K doses in June/July. Modena is at 380K weekly. There was no confirmed AZ delivery as of a few days ago, estimated maybe 650K to all of Canada in a week (so likely around 100k to Ontario).

While I agree the handling of AZ has been awful, it isn't the one we are depending on. If it was, I doubt we would be having this wishy washy approach to the AZ vaccine.

We will get ~ 1 million doses of Pfizer/Moderna per week for the next 6 weeks. We've given 6 million first doses. The eligible vaccination population is around 12 million. We have zero reason to not be able to give a first dose to anyone that wants one over the next 6 weeks without AZ.

Vaccines for COVID-19: Shipments and deliveries - Canada.ca

COVID-19 Tracker Canada - Provincial Vaccination Tracker

Reactions: DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just read the article.

Then why not post the article in the first place instead of a crappy video? You got called out, and then moved the goalposts.

It's great to have an open mind and all, but you don't leave your mind so wide open, that your brain falls out in the process. You don't spend your time searching through a dinosaur-sized pile of shit to try and find one good nugget of information. Not when good information and legitimate sources are all around. The problem with focusing on the pile of shit, is that you're going to stink, and that smell doesn't come off, even if you have that little nugget of information.

Reactions: Deku

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This is what happens when mods don't take down conspiracy garbage

A reading from the book of forum rules...

** If you see a post that violates any of the above rules, use the report post feature. Using this can bring it to the attention of all active moderators and it will be addressed as quickly as possible. Once a post is reported, leave it alone and let the mods do their job. Do not respond to the post, tell the poster they were reported, or chide people for violating the rules.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Then why not post the article in the first place instead of a crappy video? You got called out, and then moved the goalposts.

It's great to have an open mind and all, but you don't leave your mind so wide open, that your brain falls out in the process. You don't spend your time searching through a dinosaur-sized pile of shit to try and find one good nugget of information. Not when good information and legitimate sources are all around. The problem with focusing on the pile of shit, is that you're going to stink, and that smell doesn't come off, even if you have that little nugget of information.

You know exactly why.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You know exactly why.

...because it's not the article, but the conspiracy theory part he wants people to buy in on.

That would be my guess. But still, I really real those who call themselves 'free thinkers' or 'critical thinkers' or whatever would actually use the thinking skills they rave on about.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I posted the link to the story.

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
A reading from the book of forum rules...

** If you see a post that violates any of the above rules, use the report post feature. Using this can bring it to the attention of all active moderators and it will be addressed as quickly as possible. Once a post is reported, leave it alone and let the mods do their job. Do not respond to the post, tell the poster they were reported, or chide people for violating the rules.
Respectfully, this has been a trend throughout this whole pandemic and these conspiracy-based posts have been allowed throughout. Reporting them hasn't resulted in any meaningful action, which is why these threads inevitably turn toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad