Evansville to SPHL

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
what you think of my IceGators is your own opinion,but i don't have to accept anything.i'm proud of them win or lose.since Barr and Pisano are both gone,our goon cabinet is running low

What I believe about spacing, punctuation, and spelling are technically opinions also; but those opinions are generally as fact-based as my evaluation of Louisiana's team personality and make-up.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
You're comparing apples and oranges. Peoria's franchise wasn't asked to financially support a venue that wasn't viable in their market. The Icemen and the Purple Aces are asked to do just that. Keep thinking that's fair to anyone. No wonder people think Quad City fans are stupid....

I laugh at your assumption that I'm a Quad City fan. You really do know nothing about me. In fact, you seem to know nothing about a great many number of topics.

Geary knew exactly what the lease was long before he signed the original contract. If he thought it was unfair back then, he should have never signed it. End of story. If the Purple Aces don't like their lease terms, they can also leave and build an arena in Owensboro. Options exist.

Your complete lack of understanding as it relates to local politics is the most troubling part of your argument. You seem to think the public money going into city coffers is for subsidizing unprofitable hockey teams. It is not. Taxpaying residents don't want their money used for such things, and the elected representatives in Evansville understand that.

Why can't you?

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I disagree,all the teams in the SPHL has aleast one or more goons on their team,i should know,because i got to a lot of SPHL games

Not to be an ass, but a lot of people attend a lot of games but still don't know anything. SPHL teams have fighters or agitators who will fight (Segal) but guys like Barr, Pisano, Bueltel, Sicard, etc. are on the way out.

There is still rough hockey in the SPHL but people I know around the league (including Louisiana fans), looked at this IceGators team being built during the off season and instantly thought total gong show.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Not to be an ass, but a lot of people attend a lot of games but still don't know anything. SPHL teams have fighters or agitators who will fight (Segal) but guys like Barr, Pisano, Bueltel, Sicard, etc. are on the way out.

There is still rough hockey in the SPHL but people I know around the league (including Louisiana fans), looked at this IceGators team being built during the off season and instantly thought total gong show.

Nor is it the first time that this garbage organization in a garbage league has gone full goon, either.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Again, Worcester paid for Peoria's exuberance,and no AHL fan will ever forgive them for that.

Huh? Who's "they"?

Teams move, it happens. Sensible people don't hold grudges against other fan bases for getting a relocated club. I recall a few Cleveland folks grumbling about Worcester fans too, and they were roundly dismissed as out of line.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
since when did Peoria have years of AHL hockey? they stole via their NHL O/O a franchise replacing a successful ECHL Rivermen franchise, then sold it away and was no guarantee the SPHL Version would exist/thrive as it has under previous Rivermen ownership.

For a guy who constantly refers to it as "our league" how could you not recall a franchise who was in the league less than 5 years ago?!

Dr Eville

Feb 22, 2016
I laugh at your assumption that I'm a Quad City fan. You really do know nothing about me. In fact, you seem to know nothing about a great many number of topics.

Geary knew exactly what the lease was long before he signed the original contract. If he thought it was unfair back then, he should have never signed it. End of story. If the Purple Aces don't like their lease terms, they can also leave and build an arena in Owensboro. Options exist.

Your complete lack of understanding as it relates to local politics is the most troubling part of your argument. You seem to think the public money going into city coffers is for subsidizing unprofitable hockey teams. It is not. Taxpaying residents don't want their money used for such things, and the elected representatives in Evansville understand that.

Why can't you?

This is pretty much spot on. So far, Hall seems to be doing everything right in developing his team. His name submission contest received over 1800 entries. In addition, he communicates daily to a facebook fan group on what he is doing in regards to the team. He is planning an office build-out near the Ford Center, that will not only hold offices and a souvenir shop, but apartments for the team. The guy is smart, personable, and thinks outside of the box. Basically the anti-Ron Geary.

The Icemen meanwhile, are doubling down on their dumpster fire PR campaign. The latest radio show featured the COO, publicly claiming that the city of Evansville didn't want them to stay from the beginning, throwing the mayor of Owensboro under the bus on a couple of occasions for bringing up the OTB, and that everyone in the organization would have preferred to remain in Evansville. Hardly the public message that we are excited about Owensboro. It ended with what had to be a stage plant in the audience thanking Ron Geary for being the only owner to bring in extra entertainment such as the Zooperstars...wow.

The lease isn't an issue. UE is fine with the men playing there. There is talk that they will bring the women back to campus. They should, drawing 200 people in a 10K arena makes absolutely no sense.

Prior to Geary's Owensboro parade with Ron Payne, I was on the fence, blaming each side about equally. In the weeks since, it is clear this is 100% on Geary. I live between the two cities, and yes, two teams will not work. I think Evansville will work just fine, and Owensboro, if it ices, will make it only until his OTB is up and running.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Huh? Who's "they"?

Teams move, it happens. Sensible people don't hold grudges against other fan bases for getting a relocated club. I recall a few Cleveland folks grumbling about Worcester fans too, and they were roundly dismissed as out of line.

so you now agree w/ the way Peoria media crowed over acquiring a franchise while there were 3 or more months remaining....

I still don't like Providence for pulling the same trick in 1992,or do you have selective amnesia over tht, as I recollect, what was the real reason the Providence Reds tried pulling that trick in 1977, after a franchise was granted to Philadelphia for Portland.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Sheesh, I mention "goon squads", and this whole thread's going in weird directions.

Welcome to HFBoards, boys and girls!

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
This is pretty much spot on. So far, Hall seems to be doing everything right in developing his team. His name submission contest received over 1800 entries. In addition, he communicates daily to a facebook fan group on what he is doing in regards to the team. He is planning an office build-out near the Ford Center, that will not only hold offices and a souvenir shop, but apartments for the team. The guy is smart, personable, and thinks outside of the box. Basically the anti-Ron Geary.

If nothing else, Hall seems devoted to the cause of keeping hockey in Evansville. Contrast that approach with Geary's, which was based largely on some petty political grudge he had with the city of Evansville. I wish Hall the best. Minor league hockey isn't exactly a money-making venture, even with the most generous of lease deals. Geary didn't seem to understand that very well.

The Icemen meanwhile, are doubling down on their dumpster fire PR campaign. The latest radio show featured the COO, publicly claiming that the city of Evansville didn't want them to stay from the beginning, throwing the mayor of Owensboro under the bus on a couple of occasions for bringing up the OTB, and that everyone in the organization would have preferred to remain in Evansville.

Dumpster fire is a great way of putting it. And, the fuel for this dumpster fire seems to come from Ron Geary's bruised ego. It is revolting to me that devoted hockey fans in Evansville are being made to suffer the consequences of his ongoing personality conflicts with elected officials.

I don't fault Geary for wanting to get out of hockey if he simply wasn't comfortable with large financial losses. However, this dangerous stunt he is about to pull in Owensboro tells me financial prudence isn't what actually drives this guy's decision-making process.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Again, Worcester paid for Peoria's exuberance,and no AHL fan will ever forgive them for that.

You're obviously clingling dearly to some insane hatred that is eating you up from inside.

And, that would be fine if it had any relevance to the topic at hand...but it doesn't. Peoria is succeeding with local fan support in the SPHL. They were an AHL market for nearly a decade prior. Facts are facts. Nobody cares how Peoria wound up in the AHL. It has no relevance to the current discussion.

If Peoria can retain its hockey fans with an SPHL product, there's no reason to believe Evansville would fail in achieving the same feat after losing the ECHL. If you have something relevant to that point, I'd love to hear it.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You're obviously clingling dearly to some insane hatred that is eating you up from inside.

And, that would be fine if it had any relevance to the topic at hand...but it doesn't. Peoria is succeeding with local fan support in the SPHL. They were an AHL market for nearly a decade prior. Facts are facts. Nobody cares how Peoria wound up in the AHL. It has no relevance to the current discussion.

If Peoria can retain its hockey fans with an SPHL product, there's no reason to believe Evansville would fail in achieving the same feat after losing the ECHL. If you have something relevant to that point, I'd love to hear it.

He runs the AHL. You should have been given the memo earlier man. In other words no point in asking him an explanation to anything.

Dr Eville

Feb 22, 2016
It was never gunna happen anyway.

Apparently...

In the "You will only be surprised if you're a moron" news category, Evansville media is leaking details about a presser that is to take place today announcing there is no funding for the Grand Transformation of the Sportscenter, therefore, the Icemen will go dark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad