Evansville to SPHL

Sidly

Sep 2, 2014
Harleysville, PA
I went on to the SPHL website today to check some things out, and the first drop down tab reads Evansville. When you scroll over it says name the team contest. Interesting that the team is still fairly close and a new ownership wants to keep old fans around.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
wut...

The fans are going to stay for the most part. Drive 45-60 minutes and support an owner who was too petulant or stay in town for hockey.

New ownership in Evansville is a fan who stepped up when the Icemen ditched out. The name the team contest isn't a sign of them trying hard to keep fans, it's just something that they're doing.

Personally I've never seen someone say "welp, they didn't have a name the team contest. I'm not a fan now."

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
wut...

The fans are going to stay for the most part. Drive 45-60 minutes and support an owner who was too petulant or stay in town for hockey.

New ownership in Evansville is a fan who stepped up when the Icemen ditched out. The name the team contest isn't a sign of them trying hard to keep fans, it's just something that they're doing.

Personally I've never seen someone say "welp, they didn't have a name the team contest. I'm not a fan now."

I hope the fans are willing to make the transition to a glorified beer league...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I hope the fans are willing to make the transition to a glorified beer league...

Scott Darling of the Blackhawks begs to differ with you. He spent two years in the SPHL. I've seen others play well in the ECHL after spending time in the SPHL.

That said, it's inferior to the ECHL. The notion of the Evansville/Owensboro area supporting two teams is laughable. This entire unfortunate situation will kill both teams-likely very quickly .

Now the FHL isn't really a glorified beer league. It's just a beer league.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Scott Darling of the Blackhawks begs to differ with you. He spent two years in the SPHL. I've seen others play well in the ECHL after spending time in the SPHL.

That said, it's inferior to the ECHL. The notion of the Evansville/Owensboro area supporting two teams is laughable. This entire unfortunate situation will kill both teams-likely very quickly .

Goalie is no different then a pitcher...pitchers often go from A to MLB

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Scott Darling only played in the SPHL because of Scott Darling. If you know the whole story, you know what i mean by that.

The SPHL is a glorified beer league, and like you said, the FHL is a beer league.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Scott Darling only played in the SPHL because of Scott Darling. If you know the whole story, you know what i mean by that.

The SPHL is a glorified beer league, and like you said, the FHL is a beer league.

No, the SPHL is above being a beer league. One thing they have different from the FHL is stability.

I mean, let's look at franchise shifts. In the 12 years the SPHL has been around, there's been 7 terminated franchises (including 1 mid-season fold), 2 suspended franchises relocated elsewhere, and 1 franchise move yielding in a terminated franchise. That may sound like an awful lot, but most of the failures occurred prior to 2010.

The FHL started in 2010, and based upon my deductions from their Wikipedia page, they've had 12 terminated franchises, 2 mid-season folds, 4 mid-season relocations, and a couple of patchwork "teams" intended to fulfill date obligations. In fact, only ONE FHL team (Danville) has lasted longer than 1 year at their current place, and none of the founding teams exist because the Danbury Ice Arena kicked out the Whalers.

I don't mean to bash the FHL (screw it; I DO want to bash the FHL), but they're a steaming pile of manure. If you compare the SPHL to the FHL, it's not even close. Somehow, the SPHL has figured out a way to make something work through trial and error while the FHL stumbles through a series of spectacular failures, somehow not learning any lessons. THAT is the definition of a "beer league".

I'm not saying the SPHL is a great league, but I think that, aside from the goon squads, they provide something of merit, which the Federal Hockey League cannot.

Its not like Evansville ECHL was good so maybe the drop won't be so bad haha

That's something Owensboro better learn quickly; this team they are inheriting just plain sucks. The novelty will wear off after a pair of 15-19 win seasons and last place finishes.

Meanwhile, I won't be that surprised if the SPHL Evansville team somehow makes the playoffs in their first year.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
That's something Owensboro better learn quickly; this team they are inheriting just plain sucks. The novelty will wear off after a pair of 15-19 win seasons and last place finishes.

Meanwhile, I won't be that surprised if the SPHL Evansville team somehow makes the playoffs in their first year.

Owensboro won't have hockey this fall. The arena isn't likely to be ready in time for the 2016-17 season. That will give an Evansville SPHL team all the momentum towards building/retaining fan support.

By the time Owensboro is finally ready for hockey (assuming Geary follows through with this idiotic plan) Evansville will be firmly entrenched...with lower ticket prices to boot.

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
Outside of Louisiana, there are no goon squads in the SPHL. It's not that type of league. It's low level hockey managed fairly well.

Scoutin1

May 9, 2011
Owensboro won't have hockey this fall. The arena isn't likely to be ready in time for the 2016-17 season. That will give an Evansville SPHL team all the momentum towards building/retaining fan support.

By the time Owensboro is finally ready for hockey (assuming Geary follows through with this idiotic plan) Evansville will be firmly entrenched...with lower ticket prices to boot.

That's great. It gives SPHL Evanville a head start in the race to fail. Neither market will have a pro team two years from now. You don't have much grasp on the big picture, do you?

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
I disagree,all the teams in the SPHL has aleast one or more goons on their team,i should know,because i got to a lot of SPHL games
I am a season ticket holder in SPHL and fan for over a decade, so I see your credentials and raise you. There are few true goons in the SPHL, and it's been that way for quite a few teams in the league for awhile. There are a few decent to watch middleweight fighters and few heavyweights. The fighters in the SPHL fall far short of goon status. Most are near average league skaters.

PredsFanFromla

Jul 10, 2010
louisiana
I am a season ticket holder in SPHL and fan for over a decade, so I see your credentials and raise you. There are few true goons in the SPHL, and it's been that way for quite a few teams in the league for awhile. There are a few decent to watch middleweight fighters and few heavyweights. The fighters in the SPHL fall far short of goon status. Most are near average league skaters.

I am a Louisiana IceGators season ticket holder and will defend anybody that calls my gators a goon squad and i know tyler barr,so i will defend him in anyway

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Owensboro will never happen. Trump has a better shot at becoming president and OJ has a better chance at getting out of jail.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

More words of your opinion and not that of wisdom. The SPHL is well organized, well managed, and provides a solid hockey product where players actually get paid. It's model provides a product of entertainment and sense of civic pride for its markets. The players are well above your average recreational players having come from solid junior and college ranks. This league is light years ahead of the former Colonial Hockey League (later transitioned to the UHL) and the current FHL could only dream of being on par with the SPHL. Until rust belt northeast and New England fans finally buy into that the hockey landscape is changing due to shifts out of their control markets up that way will continue to lose teams and arenas throughout the northeast will go dark. Minor league hockey at any given level when healthy and sustainable is important to the growth of the game.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
I'd take the SPHL in Elmira over what we have now in a heartbeat, although I still say Junior is the way to go.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
AHL would be my dream but of course that's not realistic. I think I'd rather see kids with "drive" that can't get called up to a higher league that get sent back down and pout than what is the now.

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
I am a Louisiana IceGators season ticket holder and will defend anybody that calls my gators a goon squad and i know tyler barr,so i will defend him in anyway

It's funny that any fan of a team with Barr and Pisano, as well as others of just lesser goon ilk that thinks there are others in the SPHL worthy of being termed goons, would defend Barr as not being a goon. His league suspension record speaks for itself. Louisiana was the only team in the league this year assembled to resemble a goon squad. It's not the first time they've built their team that way. I assume it entertains the locals and is a necessity for that market. There are no other teams in the league that contain guys with multiple long term suspensions for acts that do not resemble hockey actions. All of the other fighters in the league with a couple of exceptions are regular shift skaters. Even those guys are not crazy enough to be termed goons. Outside of Sheldrake last year, who ended up just like Barr, I can't recall any goon incidents from other teams (with the exception of a Columbus goalie incident from a guy that took a dirty action but has not been a typical goon otherwise).

Just accept and enjoy the fact that your beloved IceGators are the league goons. We all realize it, and every team uses it to their own advantage, as you can see from the standings.

PredsFanFromla

Jul 10, 2010
louisiana
It's funny that any fan of a team with Barr and Pisano, as well as others of just lesser goon ilk that thinks there are others in the SPHL worthy of being termed goons, would defend Barr as not being a goon. His league suspension record speaks for itself. Louisiana was the only team in the league this year assembled to resemble a goon squad. It's not the first time they've built their team that way. I assume it entertains the locals and is a necessity for that market. There are no other teams in the league that contain guys with multiple long term suspensions for acts that do not resemble hockey actions. All of the other fighters in the league with a couple of exceptions are regular shift skaters. Even those guys are not crazy enough to be termed goons. Outside of Sheldrake last year, who ended up just like Barr, I can't recall any goon incidents from other teams (with the exception of a Columbus goalie incident from a guy that took a dirty action but has not been a typical goon otherwise).

Just accept and enjoy the fact that your beloved IceGators are the league goons. We all realize it, and every team uses it to their own advantage, as you can see from the standings.

what you think of my IceGators is your own opinion,but i don't have to accept anything.i'm proud of them win or lose.since Barr and Pisano are both gone,our goon cabinet is running low

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
That's great. It gives SPHL Evanville a head start in the race to fail. Neither market will have a pro team two years from now. You don't have much grasp on the big picture, do you?

And I'm sure you're one of the geniuses who thought the SPHL would fail in Peoria, which had AHL hockey for years. The Rivermen seem to be holding their own with fan support, despite dropping two levels in pro hockey. Hockey fans will show up to watch hockey. Imagine that!

Let's not assume Evansville is DOA just because their team is dropping down one rung on the ladder. It may fail eventually, or it may not. Owensboro, on the other hand, is an unmitigated financial disaster from Day One. That team will probably never make it to opening night.

Scoutin1

May 9, 2011
And I'm sure you're one of the geniuses who thought the SPHL would fail in Peoria, which had AHL hockey for years. The Rivermen seem to be holding their own with fan support, despite dropping two levels in pro hockey. Hockey fans will show up to watch hockey. Imagine that!

Let's not assume Evansville is DOA just because their team is dropping down one rung on the ladder. It may fail eventually, or it may not. Owensboro, on the other hand, is an unmitigated financial disaster from Day One. That team will probably never make it to opening night.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Peoria's franchise wasn't asked to financially support a venue that wasn't viable in their market. The Icemen and the Purple Aces are asked to do just that. Keep thinking that's fair to anyone. No wonder people think Quad City fans are stupid....

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

since when did Peoria have years of AHL hockey? they stole via their NHL O/O a franchise replacing a successful ECHL Rivermen franchise, then sold it away and was no guarantee the SPHL Version would exist/thrive as it has under previous Rivermen ownership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad