Contract Termination: Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I agree. I think a team gives him a chance to play at a dirt cheap contract. Probably Carolina. They gave DeAngelo a shot when few others wanted to. They seem to like to give guys a chance. For a 1M cap hit for a year, I could see them doing it.
Yup, 100%. The stories about DeAngelo got magnified and people literally believed he was an irredeemable cancer that no team would ever sign and his career is over. Now, 1/4 of the way into the season they downplay the same stuff and say they knew all along he’d be good.

I’m just setting myself up for when Kane inevitably gets to play in the league again because when he does, no doubt he’ll play at the same form he always has and the haters will back off the crap their spewing.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Gawd what a choice for NHL GMs. If he’s willing to sign short term and he can keep his head out of his ass for a while, there is hardly a team in the NHL that couldn’t use him and they can acquire him for nothing but his cap hit. But the guy could also be a huge, negative distraction. Someone is gonna gamble, and nobody knows how it will go. I do know I wouldn’t sign Kane long-term even if held at gunpoint.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
15-20 teams have expressed interest. Just shows the NHL teams couldn't care less what kind of human being they employ as long as he can help them on the ice. I guess it makes sense. If we think that there are 650 role models in the NHL, the we are sorely mistaken. I bet there are many guys who you wouldn't even want to come close to your daughter.
These guys are all literally apex alpha jocks. Not exactly known for being universally ethical.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
"Fans" of NHL teams on this board literally 2 weeks ago: "lol nobody wants Kane, you're gonna have to trade us over 9000 1sts to dump him on MY team!!1!"

Same "Fans" today: "MY team is gonna sign Kane at league minimum and win over 9000 Cups!!1! #[MyTeam]Dynasty plan the parades bitches!!"

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
it just doesn't sit well with me that this league just allows contract termination of a black player.
people talk about systemic racism and doing more for POC, but when one gets dragged thru the mud and mistreated such as Evander Kane it becomes "YEAH BUT IT'S DIFFERENT. YEAH BUT. YEAH BUT"
it's all so tiresome.

Did you hit your head?

What a silly and disgusting post

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
it just doesn't sit well with me that this league just allows contract termination of a black player.
people talk about systemic racism and doing more for POC, but when one gets dragged thru the mud and mistreated such as Evander Kane it becomes "YEAH BUT IT'S DIFFERENT. YEAH BUT. YEAH BUT"
it's all so tiresome.

the saddest part about this post is there are people that legitimately believe such nonsense so it's hard to tell if this is trolling or not.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I am a Knights fan but I would love him to go to the Knights just so I can bask in the fan reaction. I mean we screamed PAY YOUR MARKER at him for an entire game. It will be legendary.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Questions

1) Can he sign elsewhere and still have the grievance be valid if he wanted to sign before a conclusion? I assume no, right?

2) How long will it take for the grievance to be settled? A few weeks or could it drag on longer?

According to Chris Johnson, we dont know about #1 or #2 yet.
There is some fear that signing before both sides agree on how the grievance process will work could hurt him, so nothing seems iminent.

The league needs to lay out rules.
He probably does want to sign a contract but is there any grievance if he signs elsewhere.

Also I wonder if the NHL is on a timer because his agent will say they are effecting his ability of employment etc.

I have a feeling Kane gets 50%+ of his contract. Just a matter of when.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
There won't be a recapture penalty.
The contract termination is not a buyout. I am just basing it off how the Mike Richards contract worked out. If you look at Kane's first 4 years of his contract he was paid $30M for a 7M in cap hit. Divide $30m/by 4, = 7.5M cap hit. A total dif of $500k/year cap hit x 4 years = $2M in cap recapture.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The contract termination is not a buyout. I am just basing it off how the Mike Richards contract worked out. If you look at Kane's first 4 years of his contract he was paid $30M for a 7M in cap hit. Divide $30m/by 4, = 7.5M cap hit. A total dif of $500k/year cap hit x 4 years = $2M in cap recapture.

Recapture isn't a thing on Kane's contract. Those were only for contracts they grandfathered in and stopped registering. The ones beyond eight years. That math won't be at play for this. There will only be termination fees that come from whatever settlement agreements are made.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon

Richards and the Kings negotiated a settlement. Maybe that happens in the his case in which case Sharks will still have some of a cap hit. If it goes to arbitration and Sharks win then there will be no cap hit.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Recapture isn't a thing on Kane's contract. Those were only for contracts they grandfathered in and stopped registering. The ones beyond eight years. That math won't be at play for this. There will only be termination fees that come from whatever settlement agreements are made.
While recapture was introduced because of those grandfather contracts, the CBA doesn't distinguish between contracts that are longer than 8 years. Kane's contract was terminated, it was not bought out, so there is no mechanism for SJ to allocate the remaining caphit over 2x the number of years left on his contract. This means SJ benefited from a lower cap hit for first 3-4 years of his contract, that dif. must be paid off, it doesn't disappear. A dif. of $500k/year was saved for a total of $2M. It's literally how recapture works.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
While recapture was introduced because of those grandfather contracts, the CBA doesn't distinguish between contracts that are longer than 8 years. Kane's contract was terminated, it was not bought out, so there is no mechanism for SJ to allocate the remaining caphit over 2x the number of years left on his contract. This means SJ benefited from a lower cap hit for first 3-4 years of his contract, that dif. must be paid off, it doesn't disappear. A dif. of $500k/year was saved for a total of $2M. It's literally how recapture works.

It literally states it's for contracts prior to the 2012 CBA.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I have to agree with Kane's side, to challenge the termination. It seems more like a move of convenience rather than an appropriate punishment. If this were a player without all the negative stuff around him, we'd see a suspension. Remember, it's only the covid border issue that is punishable here. I think he could win something from the Sharks. It seems similar to what happened with Richards in LA. You cant just sweep away a contract you dont like

Reactions: belair and egelband

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
"Fans" of NHL teams on this board literally 2 weeks ago: "lol nobody wants Kane, you're gonna have to trade us over 9000 1sts to dump him on MY team!!1!"

Same "Fans" today: "MY team is gonna sign Kane at league minimum and win over 9000 Cups!!1! #[MyTeam]Dynasty plan the parades bitches!!"
His salary is the difference here.
At 1Mx1yr a few teams would surely be willing to take a chance.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't understand how they can terminate a contract with something so minor.

Seems incredibly convenient.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I have to agree with Kane's side, to challenge the termination. It seems more like a move of convenience rather than an appropriate punishment. If this were a player without all the negative stuff around him, we'd see a suspension. Remember, it's only the covid border issue that is punishable here. I think he could win something from the Sharks. It seems similar to what happened with Richards in LA. You cant just sweep away a contract you dont like
We already did see a suspension, the last time him violating protocol happened.

Why even have stipulations for a player in a contract if there's no actual technical way to break them?

Reactions: Helistin

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
TIL Kane’s contract is being terminated because he’s Black and not because of the massive laundry list of issues this dude has had basically since he came into the league.

The list isn't massive. It's pretty common rich young alpha male garbage and stuff that is none of fans' f***ing business (e.g. bankruptcy). The reason you claim it is massive when it isn't, is quite likely because he is black. He is a target in a league of white faces, and also speaks out.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
The list isn't massive. It's pretty common rich young alpha male garbage and stuff that is none of fans' f***ing business (e.g. bankruptcy). The reason you claim it is massive when it isn't, is quite likely because he is black. He is a target in a league of white faces, and also speaks out.

Is it really “pretty common rich young alpha male garbage”, don’t 99% of rich young athlete just go about their jobs and lives and not get caught up in this sort of stuff?

Reactions: Bruhin and LazyT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad