Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Maurice noted this week that Kane is basically a model forward for the Jets system - fast, aggressive and physical to take away time and space, disrupt the opponent's zone exits and transition. A team that is thriving on a "system" doesn't need to assess players solely on their individual statistics, because how a player is performing is part of a chain reaction. When Kane uses his speed to force an opposing defenseman to make a bad pass or a pass where he doesn't want to, that makes our team defense more effective. When he uses his speed to create back pressure, he helps the D keep tight gaps and perform better. When he uses his speed to create zone entries, he helps with possession. When he forces turnovers on the forecheck, he creates more chances for the team.

I think that Maurice understands the concept of a system and players fitting the system. When he first arrived and was asked about the team, he didn't talk about individual players and their specific skillsets, he talked about the fact that his impression was a bunch of very big, very fast players that could create a lot of havoc.

The Jets will be reluctant to trade Kane for these reasons.

:):)

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He is the best candidate in my opinion to move on the entire team that will get us a large return.

I don't want to hold on to a player that shows no signs of evolving his game while his trade value dwindles to nothing.
His lack of scoring & ability to even hit the net is disturbing.

Most of the other fans bases already call him overrated.
Hopefully the gms that would want to acquire him don't agree with them yet.

OK let me get this straight. First it's Kane is regressing, time to move him. Then it's we can evaluate how his numbers are at the end of the season. Please make up your mind.

Wheeler had a 9 or 10 game slump. Should we have dumped him too in that time?

Tired of the doom and gloom. The Jets are winning but people need to complain about something. Ya know what I am going to complain too. The Winkler Meats Jets Dog is terrible. There I said it. Trade Winkler Meats for Nathan's.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
He is the best candidate in my opinion to move on the entire team that will get us a large return.

I don't want to hold on to a player that shows no signs of evolving his game while his trade value dwindles to nothing.
His lack of scoring & ability to even hit the net is disturbing.

Most of the other fans bases already call him overrated.
Hopefully the gms that would want to acquire him don't agree with them yet.

Sell low!
Buy high!

Wait...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maurice noted this week that Kane is basically a model forward for the Jets system - fast, aggressive and physical to take away time and space, disrupt the opponent's zone exits and transition. A team that is thriving on a "system" doesn't need to assess players solely on their individual statistics, because how a player is performing is part of a chain reaction. When Kane uses his speed to force an opposing defenseman to make a bad pass or a pass where he doesn't want to, that makes our team defense more effective. When he uses his speed to create back pressure, he helps the D keep tight gaps and perform better. When he uses his speed to create zone entries, he helps with possession. When he forces turnovers on the forecheck, he creates more chances for the team.

I think that Maurice understands the concept of a system and players fitting the system. When he first arrived and was asked about the team, he didn't talk about individual players and their specific skillsets, he talked about the fact that his impression was a bunch of very big, very fast players that could create a lot of havoc.

If we had 6 Kanes you could start engraving the cup right now. :)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just thinking Kane would get a lot less flak about his game if he didn't say this before the start of the season, and maybe wait until he has scored 20 or so..before talking about getting 50.

"I said when I got drafted that I can score 50 [goals] and I know I can score 50," Kane said Friday, according to the Winnipeg Sun. "Playing with the right guys and playing with those guys consistently, and obviously staying healthy is a big part of it too. … The sky is the limit."

I do like what Kane brings to the game. I would just like to see him hit the net a little more and maybe get a little more creative with the puck and his line mates. But as well, if someone wants to make an offer for him... you have to listen.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What Kane & Seto have in common is their " regression ".

Kane trying hard & getting no points or Seto being lazy & getting no points has nothing to do with it.

We are not paying Kane 6 million a year for his personalty.

You keep repeating that. You give nothing to back it up except a few numbers taken out of context. Meanwhile it has been thoroughly refuted. It is abundantly clear that Kane is "slumping" not "regressing". While Kane is trying hard and getting no points he is positively influencing the game in other ways. You are completely ignoring that.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just thinking Kane would get a lot less flak about his game if he didn't say this before the start of the season, and maybe wait until he has scored 20 or so..before talking about getting 50.

"I said when I got drafted that I can score 50 [goals] and I know I can score 50," Kane said Friday, according to the Winnipeg Sun. "Playing with the right guys and playing with those guys consistently, and obviously staying healthy is a big part of it too. … The sky is the limit."

I do like what Kane brings to the game. I would just like to see him hit the net a little more and maybe get a little more creative with the puck and his line mates. But as well, if someone wants to make an offer for him... you have to listen.

Yes, his confidence should definitely be discouraged, stupid self-belief!

Also, the bolded part, hasn't really happened for him so much.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yes, his confidence should definitely be discouraged, stupid self-belief!

Also, the bolded part, hasn't really happened for him so much.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be confident in himself, just keep his goals to himself, and there would be a lot less talk about not scoring. The article I took the quote from specifically said that Kane has always kept his personal goals to himself in the past. Why change this year? It's always better IMO to talk about team goals and not individual goals in a team sport.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not saying he shouldn't be confident in himself, just keep his goals to himself, and there would be a lot less talk about not scoring. The article I took the quote from specifically said that Kane has always kept his personal goals to himself in the past. Why change this year? It's always better IMO to talk about team goals and not individual goals in a team sport.

Maybe, but imo it shows that Kane holds himself to a damn high standard. As disappointed as many fans are with him, I'm sure a guy who works as hard as he does is his own biggest critic. If he doesn't hit 50, in his mind it means he has more work to do. I think that's a good mindset to have.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Look at their stats.

Devin was a 30 goal scorer in San Jose & then started to regress every year.

Kane is doing the exact same thing.

Yeah, you're right. People talk like Setoguchi was awesome - but everybody knows that was mostly just being the side-effect of playing with Thornton every game.

So yeah,Kane's regressing. The poor kid's just being exposed now that he's no longer being carried by the likes of Wellwood and Miettenin

_______

I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah, you're right. People talk like Setoguchi was awesome - but everybody knows that was mostly just being the side-effect of playing with Thornton every game.

So yeah,Kane's regressing. The poor kid's just being exposed now that he's no longer being carried by the likes of Wellwood and Miettenin

_______

I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling

I'd swap Wellwood for Jokinen. But the point stands.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So I guess every one here is cool with the fact that he only has 4 goals & makes 6 million.

A for effort & F for goals is now acceptable. :handclap:

You keep repeating that. You give nothing to back it up except a few numbers taken out of context. Meanwhile it has been thoroughly refuted. It is abundantly clear that Kane is "slumping" not "regressing". While Kane is trying hard and getting no points he is positively influencing the game in other ways. You are completely ignoring that.

tucker22*

Aug 8, 2012
So I guess every one here is cool with the fact that he only has 4 goals & makes 6 million.

I don't care who scores or who makes what as long as they are contributing to the team winning. If you don't think Kane is contributing...:shakehead

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Nicely explained.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA

put a smile on my face when he said that, but in the same presser he seemed slightly disappointing about something.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I still fail to see how an incredibly small sample size to judge a hockey player is at all fair.

The fact remains that before this season, he was a 5 year vet who averages a goal every 3 games. That makes him a VERY consistent scorer.

He struggles for less than half a year and now all of the sudden he's 'regressing' and 'overrated'.

It's so incredibly shortsighted I can't believe anyone would subscribe to it.

I bet you could find pretty much any scorer outside of the very elite and find a 30 game stretch where they struggled.

Kane is a lightning rod for criticism, plain and simple. They don't like his attitude, or lack of being a cookie cutter good canadian hockey player and they want to run him out of town.

This team, ESPECIALLY with the game we are playing (and winning with) now, will be weaker without Evander Kane.

Fact is, he will be traded, so that segment will get their wish at the cost of the team. So sad, really.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I still fail to see how an incredibly small sample size to judge a hockey player is at all fair.

The fact remains that before this season, he was a 5 year vet who averages a goal every 3 games. That makes him a VERY consistent scorer.

He struggles for less than half a year and now all of the sudden he's 'regressing' and 'overrated'.

It's so incredibly shortsighted I can't believe anyone would subscribe to it.

I bet you could find pretty much any scorer outside of the very elite and find a 30 game stretch where they struggled.

Kane is a lightning rod for criticism, plain and simple. They don't like his attitude, or lack of being a cookie cutter good canadian hockey player and they want to run him out of town.

This team, ESPECIALLY with the game we are playing (and winning with) now, will be weaker without Evander Kane.

Fact is, he will be traded, so that segment will get their wish at the cost of the team. So sad, really.

I see your claim and raise you Crosby in 10 games.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

But why? Explain why? Because that is what your ideal is of a hockey player?

There have been many, many trailblazers in sport and all other walks of life who did things differently and changed what people after them did.

I like the confidence. I like the swagger. I like the fact that Evander is not cookie cutter.

Hockey has traditionally very slow to accept change, or deviance from the 'norm'. It is very old boys club in nature and it's the one thing that turns me off about the NHL. There are some things that should never change -- the way you carry yourself on the ice, stick up for your team.

What Evander did was selfish, but he would have done it for any of his teammates. He wants to win, and he puts everything into it. God we should be celebrating him instead of tearing him down.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Former Kane hater here. Now a... Well not a lover not a fan

Still don't like his online hijinx

But. I like his play. I think he's in a slump but will get better.
I also love what he brings to the team night in and night out.
I'd want a pretty big return on any trade. So big I doubt any GM would make it.
I'm still expecting big things out of Evander.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Bingo!

Kane will get hot and go on a run at some point and just maybe that is when we will need him to carry us for a stretch.

Reminds me of when some dude got a thread going for Trouba's sophomore slump because he had 3 points in 17 or 18 games them off Troubs went and now he is sitting in with 12 points in 29 games and 40th place in D scoring hangin out with Doughty and OEL.

I get frustrated with some of the same stuff as other posters but I still think Kane is a big piece of the puzzle this season.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I've heard from a very good source (broke the Perreault signing to me) one of the deals that was on the table for Kane and was apparently "very close to happening" this offseason. Kane is currently outscoring said player (a forward).

The idea that Kane is somehow going to return a better player with a better contract is pipe dream. Sorry, but it isn't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad