Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nice interview with Kane on TSN 1290 yesterday.

He certainly seems pretty upbeat about the camp. Plans to come to Winnipeg before camp.

Looks forward to a training camp and full season with Maurice. Likes how he incorporates.

Acknowledged that last year was tough with a multitude of line combinations and never really getting a chance to gel.

Indicated that he expects and is looking forward to having a more stable set of linemates this year, and made it sound like he already has a good idea who his linemates will be (said we'd find out when camp starts).

Says he's training hard for camp, and has had a very good off-season of training. He's ready to "embrace the pain".

Some topics of interest for me...

How big a year could Kane have with good linemates and a more aggressive style of play?

Who will Kane's main linemates be?

Should the Jets still consider trading Kane if they get a "fair market value" offer?

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/570280

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=26

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
70+ point pace season, centered by Scheif, his "questionable maturity" finally subsides and everyone says Chevy is a smart man for braving the storm because we kept a real gem. Kane embraces the 'Peg and has a brilliant career here.

My prediction. :yo:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
So, how long before we see a thread about how Kane saying "Embrace the pain" really means that he thinks it's painful to play in Winnipeg?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
So, how long before we see a thread about how Kane saying "Embrace the pain" really means that he thinks it's painful to play in Winnipeg?

It's not on the main board already?

Didn't hear Kane's interview, but from the OPs comments it looks like he's ready to go. I too look forward to seeing Kaner with some solid, consistent linemates. 30-40 season coming up.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What a beauty. I feel like he's going to score 40 this year. Dear Evander:

- Stay healthy

- Don't punch helmets

- Continue to stir **** up on social media

Love, Jet. :heart:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Prediction:

-Kane plays all 82 games

-Linemates with Scheif and Wheeler

-Score 32 goals, has 30+ assists

-Leads Jets to playoffs, where they go 7 games against Chicago and win on a flukey goal off Dustin Byfuglien's ass.

-Win the Stanley Cup

-For the next 3 years

-At the age of 37, Kane retires, makes his home in Winnipeg

-Opens a Dodge dealership, "Honest Evander's Winnipeg Dodge"

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Plays all games, plays with 55 and 26, scores 40 with 40 assists.

Remember what gets lost in all of the Evander "issues" is that he was here early last year to work with the rookies. So this enthusiasm isn't new for him.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Here is my read of the situation and prediction:

- Kane does not like being in Winnipeg, and is not liked by his teammates
- Kane has asked Chevy for a trade out of Winnipeg
- Chevy has told Oster (Kane's agent) that he will not deal from a position of weakness, and is in no panic to move Evander
- Chevy has told Oster/Evander to "tone it down", and stop all of the over the top media and fan reactions (which Evander did very well on H&L yesterday)...it will help his ability to trade him
- Chevy has told the Kane camp to keep his head down, and bust his behind (not a problem as he does it all the time anyway), produce, and he will fulfill his wishes

The prediction part is that Kane does these things, and is moved within 12 months for a very nice package.

Derfel*

[mod]

(Yeah - I think he has his best season this year too, if he stays healthy...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

- Chevy has told Oster (Kane's agent) that he will not deal from a position of weakness, and is in no panic to move Evander
- Chevy has told Oster/Evander to "tone it down", and stop all of the over the top media and fan reactions (which Evander did very well on H&L yesterday)...it will help his ability to trade him
- Chevy has told the Kane camp to keep his head down, and bust his behind (not a problem as he does it all the time anyway), produce, and he will fulfill his wishes

The prediction part is that Kane does these things, and is moved within 12 months for a very nice package.

I hope Kane has a break-out season and enjoys playing with a young, fast and rising team.

But if not, your scenario works out fine too.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
[mod]

Yeah, I expect Kaner has maybe finally gotten the message about the importance of PR and is being a good doobie for now. :) I too would love to see what he can do with stable line-mates and hope for a great season from him.

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea I think Evander will have a career year and I feel more confident about that than anything else I will be predicting this season. I also feel like he will get moved before the draft or at the draft.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City

This seems way more plausible than delusional statements that Kane will suddenly score 40+ goals this season.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Parts of the interview were transcribed via Nicols On Hockey

On his training this off-season:

“It’s been a really good summer for me in terms of training. I’ve had a long time to get ready for this season and spent a little bit of extra time in the gym. Did a few different things this summer. It’s positive that I’m coming in healthy and I’m really looking forward to getting back on the ice with the guys.â€

On his Vancouver radio interview over the summer (where he gave an answer that could be interpreted a number of ways in terms of whether or not he wants to stay in Winnipeg) and what his stance is on his future with the Jets:

“Much like I said in the interview; as usual, what I say gets speculated and over-analyzed sometimes, but I’m definitely looking forward to coming to camp. Looking forward to a fresh start with Paul in terms of him having a training camp with the group. Kind of getting kicked off on the right foot here. Looking forward to having a great start to the season.

Just to be clear, you’re a Winnipeg Jet, you’re getting ready to start, and you’re happy to be with the organization to start the season?

“That wouldbe correct.â€

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I think this is his make-or-break year, at least in Winnipeg. My concern with Kane is that he could be a Seguin or a Kessel or a Wheeler: guys that needed a change of scenery to really break out.

If he does break out and get 40 goals or 70 points this season, he'll play out his contract here, and hopefully beyond.

If we get more of the same (on AND off the ice) then this will probably be his last season as a Jet.

Likeliest scenario: he's around 30-35 goals, we miss the playoffs again, and he (hopefully quietly) requests a trade.

edit: what TCsmyth said....

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
This seems way more plausible than delusional statements that Kane will suddenly score 40+ goals this season.

I am not sure that he will score 40. 40 goals is pretty rare in this day and age, but...

EK has been on a 30 goal pace twice in the last three years and he is approaching his prime. Growth should be expected.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I just don't think that this will be an average year for him. If he gets good line mates and stays with them consistently, and gets to play his game under Maurice, I think this is a big breakout year. He has never had a regular line to play on so he did what he had to do, try to make something happen himself. it must have been extremely frustrating for such a driven player.

The season is starting and Kane will have something to occupy himself with as opposed to playing with the media.

I see big things from him this year.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I am not sure that he will score 40. 40 goals is pretty rare in this day and age, but...

EK has been on a 30 goal pace twice in the last three years and he is approaching his prime. Growth should be expected.

This is how I feel. Consistent, talented linemates and a coach that designs a team approach based on the talent that is here, can easily be worth 10 extra goals over the course of a season. i don't see it as far fetched.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Coming into his prime...

Playing with Scheif or Perreault (instead of Jokinen, etc.), and maybe Wheeler (instead of Seto, etc.).

If he's healthy this year I don't see why he shouldn't be expected to top 30 goals. I won't be at all surprised if he reaches 35.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I just don't think that this will be an average year for him. If he gets good line mates and stays with them consistently, and gets to play his game under Maurice, I think this is a big breakout year. He has never had a regular line to play on so he did what he had to do, try to make something happen himself. it must have been extremely frustrating for such a driven player.

The season is starting and Kane will have something to occupy himself with as opposed to playing with the media.

I see big things from him this year.

I'd like him to spend a good part of the season talking to the media about how he's broken out and become a top player in the NHL. :nod:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Coming into his prime...

Playing with Scheif or Perreault (instead of Jokinen, etc.), and maybe Wheeler (instead of Seto, etc.).

If he's healthy this year I don't see why he shouldn't be expected to top 30 goals. I won't be at all surprised if he reaches 35.

35 is a reasonable target IMO, but variance could take the actual number either way.

This is the average aging curve for an NHL player:

ppgvage_medium.jpg

Kane just turned 23! In other words, this will be his 23 year old season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Parts of the interview were transcribed via Nicols On Hockey

Just to be clear, you’re a Winnipeg Jet, you’re getting ready to start, and you’re happy to be with the organization to start the season?

“That would be correct.â€

Seems clear and unambiguous to me.

Barring any unforeseen roster changes he plays with Scheifele & Wheeler.
32-36 goals, 60+ pts
No trade without an overpay (which may come at the draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad