Value of: Evander Kane To Vancouver

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
We got Glotov so we won.

Fleecing fit the framework of my reply more than the reality of the situation. You guys got a useful player during the season for a less useful player and draft picks that didn't help you during that season. We got picks for a UFA. Would I do that deal again? Absolutely, with a cherry on top. Guhle alone makes it worth the while, though it's a little unfair to judge the trade on who we picked this far down the line. That said the deal also made Matt Moulson fall in love with Buffalo, so it's not all rainbows.

I think if he continues, Guhle alone is a win. Anything else just enhances it for the Sabres.

So how many games has Guhle played in the NHL thus far?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160183&encode=TRUE

Great knowing a "fleecing" is dependent on a guy who hasn't touched the NHL ice yet. Keep up those high standards!

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
So how many games has Guhle played in the NHL thus far?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160183&encode=TRUE

Great knowing a "fleecing" is dependent on a guy who hasn't touched the NHL ice yet. Keep up those high standards!

He got 4 pre-season games last year and didn't look out of place. Was going to get the full 9 game tryout before getting a concussion that shut him down. Most people that have actually watched him are expecting him to get the same tryout this year with a small chance he makes the team for the season. Keep up that keyboard scouting!

WildThingRickVaughn

Apr 7, 2016
On the ice, it's about what he brings and how he's used, and what he brings is a tough power winger who can score goals, and is a great at puck possession, and logs a ton of minutes as a top line left wing on a young rising team....We were a team last year in Buffalo that was among the league worst in puck possession....this will change as young team grows, but as far as last year is concerned, Evander Kane was our best puck possession forward last year, and he did so logging top line minutes, and also seeing time on special teams (including the penalty kill) He's also a 25 year old power forward who scored 20 goals in just 65 games, he's definitely our best goal scorer at the moment until Eichel and Reinhart get further along in their development. He's also one of our best fighters as an added bonus. And to top it off.....Only Ryan O'Reilly had saw more ice time than Evander Kane last season.....If we were to lose him, it they would miss him big time from the lineup. Evander Kane on the ice, brings a lot to the table..<strong>...he would undoubtedly help Vancouver.</strong>...on the ice. Off the ice of course, different story. Now here in Buffalo, he was fine until this incident, he wasn't really ruffling feathers in the locker room the way he did Winnipeg, not that i've heard anyways. But this is another incident....and until he's cleared legally his value is jack **** right now.... <strong>The league can't do anything until the court proceedings pass, and if Kane is found guilty of anything, he could be suspended. Who knows maybe Buffalo might even just waive him or terminate his contract at that point and Vancouver can get him for nothing.</strong> At this point, It would make no sense for Buffalo to trade Kane at this point because the cost to lose him for close to nothing or lesser value still would not be worth it. They're better off keeping him for now and seeing how this plays out.

To make a deal, even if he's cleared, the realistic starting point then is going to be Jake Virtanen.....and that's with certainty not something many Canuck fans want, and probably not something Jim Bening would do. It's probably more likely for Kane that that Sabres want a younger player under 25 in return....which those deals are incredibly hard to come by when the player has no off ice issues.

If he's cleared, he will help Vancouver hands down....but the cost will still be one Vancouver may not want to meet IMO.

And if Vancouver did it now tit would be a huge gamble

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
My question to Canucks fans is this:
Do you trust Benning at all to make a trade? He's made some really questionable moves and it just seems like overpaying for someone like Kane is something he would do.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
My question to Canucks fans is this:
Do you trust Benning at all to make a trade? He's made some really questionable moves and it just seems like overpaying for someone like Kane is something he would do.

Good point.
But i just dont see him moving the young guys that are his guys -- Shink wasnt, Kassian, Etc

Virt is his boy, so v unlikely... Same w Boeser, Demko, Juvo ....
Were desperate for Cs so he cant move Horvat
So honestly not sure who he'd move that i do care about, short of Tanev or Hutton, and the D is so thin i cant see those guys going.

He did alright w the Kesler trade, and unlike many i like the Gubs deal fine.

My opinion is that the Canucks are very near totally-hooped mode anyway, so who cares. Probably the same rationale many Trump voters have i imagine...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Sabres fans, be prepared for heart break.

We had the same thing with Kassian where we thought we'd get someone comparable in value on paper, but off ice issues sunk Kassians value to a cap dump.

Kane has at least proven some goal scoring ability in the league, but he is not the centre piece for a top pairing D.

Nobody in their right mind should think this.

However just getting rid of Kane's salary would put us in a much better position to acquire that LHD.

This is what I'm hoping for anyway....

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
It is kind of funny that the Sabres did that for Kane and the Canucks for Tanev within a couple days. Maybe I'm just looking for something where there's nothing, but I would assume if Sabres did want to deal Kane, it would be contingent on signing Vesey, in order to allow guys like Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, and Nylander all stay in Rochester for at least part of the season.

Knowing Benning's past history, I could see them being enticed by a package of Kane/Franson for Tanev/Burrows. Cap hits work out about evenly, Franson could be seen as a PP weapon with his heavy point shot, Gudbranson could be seen as a replacement for Tanev, and Kane adds a dimension that Vancouver doesn't have up front.

Buffalo would get a guy who could work a 2nd pair with McCabe and help settle his game down, allowing for a 3rd pair of Gorges-Bogosian, and not relying so heavily defensively on Kulikov-Ristolainen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad