Confirmed Signing with Link: Evander Kane and Sharks 7 years ×7 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I think Kane is worth the $7m if he plays to his full potential, but whether or not he plays at his peak for 7 years is a big question mark. He looked like a decent fit in San Jose, let's hope his reckless & stupid acts are behind him.

Reactions: BHD

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Sharks needed him and he’s played well. I’m also confident DW finds a way to stay in on Tavares.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think it's only for the team that drafted him (not sure).
No, they don't have to be the one that drafted them, but they have to have been with the team by a certain date iirc, I am not sure when that is though

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I guess I'm one of the only non-SJS fans who is okay with the deal.
I think he'll regularly be a 60+ point player for the Sharks, something they could use on the wings. Also adds a different dimension than their other wingers.
Probably 1-2 years and $0.5M too much but you'd have to pay for a UFA to be like that.

Reactions: Phu

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
It isn't even free agency and this might be the worst deal of the summer, nice.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He played very well for the Sharks, but he got banged up and he will always have injury issues - guy is in fantastic shape but he's too light to play the style he plays.

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
A player having a career year and being overpaid? I’ve never seen that backfire before.

Hell it was only 30 games, what the hell were they thinking?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Pretty sure they need to be with the signing team as of the previous years TDL to be eligible for the 8th year. Same reason the sabres could only extend ROR for 7 years when they acquired him.
The Kings offered Lucic an eight-year extension in 2016. He had only been on the team since June 2015.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also think that the Sharks overpaid here, but put his cap hit in context. Kane's $7 million contract was signed when the projected cap for the next season is currently at $80 million. 2 years ago, a bunch of wingers either on par or worse than Kane got $5.5-$6 million deals on long term deals, when the cap was at $73 million. Kane's contract is comparable to what guys like Backes and Okposo got in 2016, so I don't know why anyone is surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad