Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
There is no way to put lipstick on that pig. If you think that there is no way the Oilers can win with Bouchard on the team that is giving up on the player.

It's also one thing to be critical of mistakes a player makes. But to look at one rare aspect of the players game and make such a definitive statement makes no sense what so ever, We especially when you are highlighting something that many players, perhaps almost everyone have been guilty of. McDavid himself made such a pass recently that was picked off and resulted in a scoring chance.

We've had this debate before when you have made claims about the team not being able to win with such and such a player. Previously it was a big third line center, something they still do not have by the way. Now its somehow a defensemen having an exceptional season. The reality is that there is no one model of what you need to win. Maybe it will turn out that Bouchard is not yet ready to carry the load. Would it surprise anyone if it turns out that a guy with only 256 NHL games under his belt might not be ready to handle the role of playing big minutes vs the NHL's best. That is a completely different thing than saying that he can't be part of a winning team because of some pass he made in one regular season game. .
I never meant to say the Oilers would be unable to win with Bouchard. However, I find it unlikely a team can win with Bouchard playing 24 minutes per game defending against elite players on a contending team in a seven game series.

There are lots of offensively gifted players in the NHL. Not many of them will win a Stanley Cup. Some because they don't find themselves on the right team at the right time. Some because there are deficiencies in their game. If the latter is expected to play too many minutes against players that can wreck them... the team that player represents will unlikely be able to win.

The playoffs are just around the corner. I'll be cheering for the Oilers.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I never meant to say the Oilers would be unable to win with Bouchard. However, I find it unlikely a team can win with Bouchard playing 24 minutes per game defending against elite players on a contending team in a seven game series.

There are lots of offensively gifted players in the NHL. Not many of them will win a Stanley Cup. Some because they don't find themselves on the right team at the right time. Some because there are deficiencies in their game. If the latter is expected to play too many minutes against players that can wreck them... that team will be unlikely to win.

Ok. You have the right to your opinion of course but my issue was with the definitive statement.

Winning the cup is far from a guarantee for any team. The Oilers have a legitimate shot but they will have to play up to their potential across the board.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
only passes into an occupied or soon to be occupied high slot, occupied by players with the wrong jerseys, passes that should get a player benched

we will see soon enough in the playoffs who is wrong and who is right, won't we
You are wrong. Don’t even need to wait for the playoffs. Nothing you say has any statistical evidence. Bouchard has been a beast in the playoffs. Why do you have yournorrational
Hate on for him?

There are lots of offensively gifted players in the NHL. Not many of them will win a Stanley Cup. Some because they don't find themselves on the right team at the right time. Some because there are deficiencies in their game. If the latter is expected to play too many minutes against players that can wreck them... the team that player represents will unlikely be able to win.

What is this based on? Seriously?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You are wrong. Don’t even need to wait for the playoffs. Nothing you say has any statistical evidence. Bouchard has been a beast in the playoffs. Why do you have yournorrational
Hate on for him?

What is this based on? Seriously?
No. I'll wait for the playoffs to evaluate Bouchard on his defensive competency and overall play while playing significant minutes against elite players.

Bouchard won't be there only to create offence. He'll be put to the test by the opposition's strategies. By coaches responsible to activate players to implement set plays at crucial moments in individual games over a strenuous 7 game series. Cassidy or Bednar.

Why do you need everyone to agree with you? I'll let you in on a little secret. They never will.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
To me, Bouchard is now the defensively responsible one on his pairing. Ekholm was the clear baby sitter last season but now Bouchard is covering up for him more than the other way around. Hopefully both will be able to outscore their defensive lapses in playoffs like they have done in regular season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
To me, Bouchard is now the defensively responsible one on his pairing. Ekholm was the clear baby sitter last season but now Bouchard is covering up for him more than the other way around. Hopefully both will be able to outscore their defensive lapses in playoffs like they have done in regular season.
I mean I guess. It was a very tough play at the end of the game last night and, again, that ice was horrendous for like a Bantam A game, let alone an NHL game.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I mean I guess. It was a very tough play at the end of the game last night and, again, that ice was horrendous for like a Bantam A game, let alone an NHL game.
It's not just one play with Ekholm. His very first shift he got deked/walked around for a point blank shot against. Love his new found offense but he has been pinching in way too much and occasionally getting caught up ice. Maybe Coffey will lock em both down a bit in playoffs.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's not just one play with Ekholm. His very first shift he got deked/walked around for a point blank shot against. Love his new found offense but he has been pinching in way too much and occasionally getting caught up ice. Maybe Coffey will lock em both down a bit in playoffs.
Ok then. Yup, he got flatfooted for sure.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Before that boy gets paid I'd like to see Bouchard play a ten game stretch away from Ekholm as his partner. I've a pretty good idea what would happen.

The playoffs against Vegas and Colorado will be a different animal altogether.

• Haha
Reactions: bobbythebrain

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Before that boy gets paid I'd like to see Bouchard play a ten game stretch away from Ekholm as his partner. I've a pretty good idea what would happen.

The playoffs against Vegas and Colorado will be a different animal altogether.
Bouchard will get paid as long as he remains top 5 D in goals scored and points. But yeh, he should get looks with other D partners now that Ekholm has started to turn into an offensive Dman himself. Spread the wealth.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Bouchard will get paid as long as he remains top 5 D in goals scored and points. But yeh, he should get looks with other D partners now that Ekholm has started to turn into an offensive Dman himself. Spread the wealth.
An excellent trading chip... however, before you move him I wouldn't recommend playing him away from Ekholm.

Ekholm is much more than offense. Headmanning rushes multiple times per game, a new identity for Ekholm, decreases his overall on ice effectiveness.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
No. I'll wait for the playoffs to evaluate Bouchard on his defensive competency and overall play while playing significant minutes against elite players.

Bouchard won't be there only to create offence. He'll be put to the test by the opposition's strategies. By coaches responsible to activate players to implement set plays at crucial moments in individual games over a strenuous 7 game series. Cassidy or Bednar.

Why do you need everyone to agree with you? I'll let you in on a little secret. They never will.
I don't need everyone to agree with me. Why do you base conclusions on your own biases and everything that contradicts your biases are "lies" (your own words)

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Sure, him and Draisaitl both should fetch us plenty back for a re-tool.
You really believe Bouchard is comparable to Draisaitl?

I wouldn't mind Bouchard staying for a reasonable dollar. If Draisaitl exits the Oilers I'm out for good.

I've been a fan of the Oilers my entire life and I've watched so many NHL games. That's a lot of time invested... I'll be done with it.

Reactions: Duke74

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
An excellent trading chip... however, before you move him I wouldn't recommend playing him away from Ekholm.

Ekholm is much more than offense. Headmanning rushes multiple times per game, a new identity for Ekholm, decreases his overall on ice effectiveness.
lol- on that pair- Bouchard starts most rushes. Ekholm will also default to Bouchard to move the puck- but okay.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
by your reactionary posts I can tell there is a disconnect... you're not reading carefully enough
My posts aren't reactionary. Yours just are illogical and full of holes and biases. Just say you dont like the player. Don't hide behind "I like him but...". You clearly dont.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
With all due respect this is absolute nonsense.

Just watch Bouchards poor puck managment in last nights game.
I counted no less then 3 giveaways on one shift.
Thats not to mention that Bouchards poor decision making and poor puck management at the blueline led directly to 2 Blues goals.
These are not isolated events either.
While Bouchard is brilliant offensively his defence is still a work in progress.

To suggest that Bouchard is babysitting (covering up for) Ekholm is so far from reality I am at a loss why you would even consider posting that.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You really believe Bouchard is comparable to Draisaitl?

I wouldn't mind Bouchard staying for a reasonable dollar. If Draisaitl exits the Oilers I'm out for good.

I've been a fan of the Oilers my entire life and I've watched so many NHL games. That's a lot of time invested... I'll be done with it.
Both are UFAs after next season and are looking to get paid big bucks. Both are prone to unforced giveaways.
With all due respect this is absolute nonsense.

Just watch Bouchards poor puck managment in last nights game.
I counted no less then 3 giveaways on one shift.
Thats not to mention that Bouchards poor decision making and poor puck management at the blueline led directly to 2 Blues goals.
These are not isolated events either.
While Bouchard is brilliant offensively his defence is still a work in progress.

To suggest that Bouchard is babysitting (covering up for) Ekholm is so far from reality I am at a loss why you would even consider posting that.
Not disagreeing but if you think Ekholm didn't make bad mistakes then let's watch the game again together. I'm not talking about just last night game but the play of both overall. +/- and points are more than great for both Bouchard and Ekholm but both have looked suspect at times. My point is that you can't just single out one player. Everyone makes multiple mistakes per game unless maybe a goalie getting a SO.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bouchard makes plenty of mistakes, but this is also only his 2nd full year, and he's been elevated to basically the top pairing. Offence comes naturally as a gift, defence has to be worked at and experienced. He'll get there, people need to be patient. Just because Draisaitl and McDavid's time windows are one way and ticking, doesn't mean everyone else's will or can be the same.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Both are UFAs after next season and are looking to get paid big bucks. Both are prone to unforced giveaways.

Not disagreeing but if you think Ekholm didn't make bad mistakes then let's watch the game again together. I'm not talking about just last night game but the play of both overall. +/- and points are more than great for both Bouchard and Ekholm but both have looked suspect at times. My point is that you can't just single out one player. Everyone makes multiple mistakes per game unless maybe a goalie getting a SO.
Defensive lapses is most definately not typical for Ekholm.
It is for Bouchard though. Not every game but he does struggle with having to make quick decisions with the puck in the D zone from time to time.
He has gotten better for sure (he used to be brutal) but its still an issue that pops up now and again.
Thats not at all an issue for Ekholm.

Ekholm is the most consistent and essentially the best dman on this team by a mile.
Bouchard was a defenisve mess before Ekholm arrived.
He has played a major role in providing Bouchard the mentorship to allow him to grow his game.

To suggest that Bouchard is carrying Ekholm is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
He's fine defensively. He's rarely out of position and uses his stick well. Does not get outmuscled either. Maybe not Norris material, but definitely a legit No.1 D-man on one of the best teams in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes