Europe-bound and retirements

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Just curious, For HFNHL purposes is he is still eligible for this year? Or is it past the deadline?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Just curious, For HFNHL purposes is he is still eligible for this year? Or is it past the deadline?

To be honest, I would think Tanabe is still eligible. The NHL season has started, it's past October 1st, technically he was an NHL player (albeit an injured one) for the first couple of weeks of the 2008-09 season.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
David Tanabe retires.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-part-ways-with-tanabe

I knew he had lingering concussion issues but didn't know he was this close to walking away. Too bad. Never really fulfilled his potential.

I think it's just one of those things where you keep thinking you'll be better tomorrow. Then tomorrow becomes next week. Then next week becomes next month. Finally, you start to wonder if you'll ever get better and only then do you actually start listening to your doctors. I'm sure he was being told to hang his skates up from the get-go.

For record-keeping purposes, Tanabe will be eligible for the 2008-09 HFNHL season.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
As someone who has had 3 concussions, it's not fun and has no time table. Funny store (to me anyway):

I got in a car accident last month and my car was in the shop. I just got it back Friday and thought the mirrors were adjusted by whomever tested the car. Well, yesterday I was driving down the freeway and went over a bump and my head bounced off the doorjam and really knocked me silly. They had moved my seat up. Had a headache all day with sensitivity to light and sound and was just lethargic all day.

I feel better today, but still with the sensitivity to the light and sound......sometimes it's just a little thing that rattles you.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
As someone who has had 3 concussions, it's not fun and has no time table. Funny store (to me anyway):

I got in a car accident last month and my car was in the shop. I just got it back Friday and thought the mirrors were adjusted by whomever tested the car. Well, yesterday I was driving down the freeway and went over a bump and my head bounced off the doorjam and really knocked me silly. They had moved my seat up. Had a headache all day with sensitivity to light and sound and was just lethargic all day.

I feel better today, but still with the sensitivity to the light and sound......sometimes it's just a little thing that rattles you.

man... wasn't it you that got in a wreck a couple years ago and missed the draft because of it?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
heh. That's me. Wasn't hurt in the one last month. Just body damage ($8000 worth....the drawback of a nice car)

This was the first accident I was actually driving my car. 1st one in 24 years, so I guess that's not too bad.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I think it's just one of those things where you keep thinking you'll be better tomorrow. Then tomorrow becomes next week. Then next week becomes next month. Finally, you start to wonder if you'll ever get better and only then do you actually start listening to your doctors. I'm sure he was being told to hang his skates up from the get-go.

That's why concussions are so scary, as you know. I feel bad for Tanabe because a concussion is much more likely to have an impact on his day to day life after hockey than say a knee injury. He only played one year at the University of Wisconsin as well, and unlike a guy like Keith Primeau or Eric Lindros, he isn't sitting back on a relatively (to NHL standards, not regular standards) large bank account.

How has your concussion been recently Matt?

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Not sure if its to late or not but I would like to drop Jeff O´Neill from my roster. He did cancel his comeback with the Carolina in the NHL. Would that be possible?

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Per Ledin who was signed by the Islanders last summer as a free agent have today signed a 6 year deal with his former team in Sweden HV71 starting season 09/10.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Goalie Mikael Tellqvist has signed a contract with AK Bars Kazan in KHL.

Richard Zednik will also play in KHL next season, he has signed with Lokomotiv Jaroslavl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad