Waived: Erne on waivers

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Tampa can't send Erne to the minors. The claiming team (there won't be one here) must keep the claimed player on their roster for the duration of the season.
No they don't. They can send him down immediately after the claim if they want, they just risk Detroit or someone else claiming him, which if there were any it would be few.
They can't send him down without putting him back on waivers again.

It's kind of unlikely Detroit would claim him after waiving him, dontcha think?

Sorry for the confusion.... I meant them trading a "cleared" Erne that goes unclaimed on waivers.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Exactly, which is why another team could claim just as an insurance player if they wanted. It won't happen, but it could.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
0C2E8DEF-51E8-41E6-9159-FB45BBEAED40.jpeg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Tampa won't have to send Erne down if he is traded AFTER Detroit waiving him.

Waiving Erne will raise his trade value imo. Somebody could have interest for AHL located depth.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Tampa won't have to send Erne down if he is traded AFTER Detroit waiving him.

Waiving Erne will raise his trade value imo. Somebody could have interest for AHL located depth.
I am sure you meant, "...won't have to waive Erne...".

This is correct. Value can be further raised by retaining salary.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This makes the most sense. Seems like perhaps they waited until Zadina got through his first game with GR before risking Erne on waivers.

Not that the return will be anything worthwhile, but a cleared Erne with some retention might get some interest from a team like Tampa that can just stash him in the AHL until they have the space to call him up.

Someone's going to need to make sure the pressbox for GR games has enough food and pops for all the vets that have to sit.

I think Steve can retain on 3 but that could be Betuzzi , Maanta. Sundkvist
Does Suter have value even at 50 off?
It’s hard to make trades with this cap

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I am sure you meant, "...won't have to waive Erne...".

This is correct. Value can be further raised by retaining salary.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Retaining salary and trading AHL-player will have value as spare part for somebody. They want to build overcrowded rosters, and having the player outside of 23-man limit is the key.

If something happens, he can be called up. It's an incurance policy.

I think Steve can retain on 3 but that could be Betuzzi , Maanta. Sundkvist
Does Suter have value even at 50 off?
It’s hard to make trades with this cap

He can retain 2 more. 3 is the maximum per season and Panik is still there for 2022-23 season from earlier retentions.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Yeah, that's what I mean.

Retaining salary and trading AHL-player will have value as spare part for somebody. They want to build overcrowded rosters, and having the player outside of 23-man limit is the key.

If something happens, he can be called up. It's an incurance policy.

He can retain 2 more. 3 is the maximum per season and Panik is still there for 2022-23 season from earlier retentions.

Ah so going to be hard to move all of them
The caps ridiculous
I am assuming only Larkin signs back and Bertuzzi goes

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Cannot believe he is going to clear . My guess Elmer will take his spot

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
People thought he was trade bait.
That's why he was waived. The same goes for Ned. If Detroit is willing to retain salary then perhaps some teams could be prepared to part with something of value. If they can assign them to their AHL affiliate that is. If they have to keep them on their NHL roster or risk losing them on waivers then no team is gonna pay for Erne or Ned. They could improve the depth of an organization though and cover for potential injuries.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think this is the primary issue, Stevie could have traded Erne at 50% retention but he's saving those for bigger trades. Erne at full salary isn't worth the cap space for a contender.

Erne assigned to GR, Zadina recalled
You know your NHL career is over when you lose your roster spot to Zadina, lol. He's gonna get a two way contract in free agency, and wind up a tweener like Czarnik/Luff.

To be honest, I'm actually disappointed. I figured he'd have a career season because it's a contract year. Started off playing well, but just tapered off and became invisible.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think this is the primary issue, Stevie could have traded Erne at 50% retention but he's saving those for bigger trades. Erne at full salary isn't worth the cap space for a contender.

You know your NHL career is over when you lose your roster spot to Zadina, lol. He's gonna get a two way contract in free agency, and wind up a tweener like Czarnik/Luff.

To be honest, I'm actually disappointed. I figured he'd have a career season because it's a contract year. Started off playing well, but just tapered off and became invisible.
I guess he reached his limitations.
Is Zadina better than Hirose, we will see

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I guess he reached his limitations.
Is Zadina better than Hirose, we will see
Yup, at 27 years old, Erne should be at the peak of his career, and if this is the best he can do then it's time to move on. Looks to me like Stevie finally threw in the towel.

I'm not really expecting much from Zadina unless they call up Vrana to play with him. Surprised he only got one game in GR.

Reactions: lilidk

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think Yzerman wanted to give him a chance since we was an original Yzerman draftee from Tamapa. He's decent depth but no real harm in moving on. Was an interesting experiment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad