Waived: Erne on waivers

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Did Steve forget Hagg was still around?
Valid point, but he'll get waived when they need space for Vrana. Speaking of which, I said Erne should be waived in thatthread, so now here we are.

Started off well, but I think Erne forgot i';s a contract year, He's gonna be making league min next season, maybe even a two way.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Valid point, but he'll get waived when they need space for Vrana. Speaking of which, I said Erne should be waived in thatthread, so now here we are.

Started off well, but I think Erne forgot i';s a contract year, He's gonna be making league min next season, maybe even a two way.
Detroit's at the 23 man limit with adding Zadina to the roster, My guess is that Erne was waived so they can recall Berggren after the all star break.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like that they are willing to make moves like this. This kind of player would be stapled to this team with Kenny still here.

Reactions: Reddwit and David D

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wasn't that a paper move? Did he even report down there?

Zadina got a game in last night.

Yeah, but if he comes back up on paper we are one over the limit. It was either Erne, Hagg or Lindstrom that was getting waived. My guess is Steve picked the one making the most and least likely to be claimed, not that Lindstrom would.

They put a shitty player on waivers ... they didn't reinvent the wheel.

Kenny would have kept this level player and let the kid marinate in the minors though, so that is why it is nice!

Reactions: Filppula

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Detroit's at the 23 man limit with adding Zadina to the roster, My guess is that Erne was waived so they can recall Berggren after the all star break.

This makes the most sense. Seems like perhaps they waited until Zadina got through his first game with GR before risking Erne on waivers.

People thought he was trade bait.
We'd be lucky to get a conditional 7th for him. Perhaps Tampa takes him back.

Not that the return will be anything worthwhile, but a cleared Erne with some retention might get some interest from a team like Tampa that can just stash him in the AHL until they have the space to call him up.

Someone's going to need to make sure the pressbox for GR games has enough food and pops for all the vets that have to sit.

Reactions: lilidk

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
This makes the most sense. Seems like perhaps they waited until Zadina got through his first game with GR before risking Erne on waivers.

Not that the return will be anything worthwhile, but a cleared Erne with some retention might get some interest from a team like Tampa that can just stash him in the AHL until they have the space to call him up.

Someone's going to need to make sure the pressbox for GR games has enough food and pops for all the vets that have to sit.
Tampa can't send Erne to the minors. The claiming team (there won't be one here) must keep the claimed player on their roster for the duration of the season.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Did Steve forget Hagg was still around?
I forgot him. Unleash Big Bad Bob and make him a winger. That could be entertaining or not.
------------------------------
I guess Red Wings would have to retain salary to get Erne traded, but i think better to wait TDL before we retain anything. What was the limit, 2 or 3 salaries which can be retained?

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Kenny would have kept this level player and let the kid marinate in the minors though, so that is why it is nice!
I like that they are willing to make moves like this. This kind of player would be stapled to this team with Kenny still here.
OB, I’m enjoying the mental gymnastics to pump Stevie’s tires for waiving an overpaid 13th forward….
who was given the horrible contract by Yzerman himself.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Tampa can't send Erne to the minors. The claiming team (there won't be one here) must keep the claimed player on their roster for the duration of the season.

No they don't. They can send him down immediately after the claim if they want, they just risk Detroit or someone else claiming him, which if there were any it would be few.

OB, I’m enjoying the mental gymnastics to pump Stevie’s tires for waiving an overpaid 13th forward….
who was given the horrible contract by Yzerman himself.

No mental gymnastics, it is more about Steve correcting his mistake. Kenny wouldn't do the same. Ken would never have waived guys like Dekeyser, Ericsson, Nielson, Abdelkader and on and on.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
No mental gymnastics, it is more about Steve correcting his mistake. Kenny wouldn't do the same. Ken would never have waived guys like Dekeyser, Ericsson, Nielson, Abdelkader and on and on.
He has been doing that a lot lately.
I count probably 7 veteran players signed to overpaid multi year deals by Yzerman that have recently (or would currently) clear waivers.

About 33% of the roster.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He has been doing that a lot lately.
I count probably 7 veteran players signed to overpaid multi year deals by Yzerman that have recently (or would currently) clear waivers.

About 33% of the roster.

Yeah, and I was just saying that I like it, what is the big deal? Virtually all players are overpaid, so the 7 player thing means little.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
No they don't. They can send him down immediately after the claim if they want, they just risk Detroit or someone else claiming him, which if there were any it would be few.
They can't send him down without putting him back on waivers again.

It's kind of unlikely Detroit would claim him after waiving him, dontcha think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad