Confirmed with Link: Eriksson-Ek signs for 8 years ($5.25m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
That’s a lot of term and money for a guy with a career high of 30 points. Guerin strikes again
Don't you think using his points per game percentage in an abbreviated season would be a more accurate depiction of what really happened?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm fine with this. We are getting his best years. This contract should look good in about three years from now, even if he ends up onLy being a high end #3C. He has got to get better at FO's , though.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I'm alright with this. Expected 5.5/8. Think people will always be pissed off he doesnt put up more points, but I don't think this is bad value, just okay. No real potential there for him to be the next Cotourier, he's never shown any kind of offensive toolkit.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
500k too much, but if he continues to improve and the cap goes up this will be okay.
But no discount for sure.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
I was predicting 7x$35m so it’s a bit more than I thought but within range. A fair deal, and potentially a steal if Ek continues to build on last season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I suspect that Guerin loved the way JEE played against Vegas in the playoffs, and the fact that he is basically the only C of note that we have made it imperative that we sign him. Unlike Coyle, JEE doesn't seem to be the sort of guy to disappear for long stretches of time, either. If he actually gains some confidence in his shot and continues to produce points this contract will be a steal, but all i expect from him is 35-40 pts, tough play, and great defense.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I suspect that Guerin loved the way JEE played against Vegas in the playoffs, and the fact that he is basically the only C of note that we have made it imperative that we sign him. Unlike Coyle, JEE doesn't seem to be the sort of guy to disappear for long stretches of time, either. If he actually gains some confidence in his shot and continues to produce points this contract will be a steal, but all i expect from him is 35-40 pts, tough play, and great defense.
This contract now makes those expectations unacceptable

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As lukewarm as I am to this deal I'll admit that his play against Vegas has me feeling pretty optimistic about it in a vacuum. I don't even hate only getting 40 points out of him considering those are likely to be mostly even-strength points played against very good competition. It's unlikely that this will turn into an albatross a la Wennberg and he could well get better over the next few seasons.

But considering he was supposed to be the cheapest of the three RFAs I'm not sure where that'll leave us when the dust settles. Nothing to do but wait and see, I guess.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's also obviously a deal that looks a tad different if it isn't under the shadow of Parise's hanging over the team.
Parise's deal has nothing to do with it for me. It's yet another Guerin deal where the player is going to have to be better than he ever has been just to make it a fair deal. You can't survive in a cap world when you're doing that with every contract you give out.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Parise's deal has nothing to do with it for me. It's yet another Guerin deal where the player is going to have to be better than he ever has been just to make it a fair deal. You can't survive in a cap world when you're doing that with every contract you give out.

Yeah, but at least with this one (compared to Spurgeon's) he doesn't have that far to reach and it's at an age range where it's not unexpected to happen. So, progress, I guess.

Reactions: Slotski

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, but at least with this one (compared to Spurgeon's) he doesn't have that far to reach and it's at an age range where it's not unexpected to happen. So, progress, I guess.
How "expected" is it that he becomes a $5.25M player though? What kind of player does he have to become to justify overpaying him right now?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How "expected" is it that he becomes a $5.25M player though? What kind of player does he have to become to justify overpaying him right now?

I'd say reasonably expected, but I also suspect that I think he's currently closer to it than you do.

Last two seasons he has 36 and 41 ES points, respectively. Bring that up and hold in the ~45+ range, and stay in the top ~7-10 range in the Selke conversation, and I think he's there.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'd say reasonably expected, but I also suspect that I think he's currently closer to it than you do.

Last two seasons he has 36 and 41 ES points, respectively. Bring that up and hold in the ~45+ range, and stay in the top ~7-10 range in the Selke conversation, and I think he's there.
Going to be hard to improve his offense and stay in the Selke conversation. This deal kills the Greenway-Ek-Foligno line. I do wonder who they're projecting him to play with going forward?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Going to be hard to improve his offense and stay in the Selke conversation. This deal kills the Greenway-Ek-Foligno line. I do wonder who they're projecting him to play with going forward?

Well, he improved his offense and got into the Selke conversation this year. I'm sure it wasn't easy to do, but that doesn't make the next step impossible.

Care to expand on why that line is now dead?

Prior

Jan 18, 2020

Signaling Dumba/Fiala gone is clear, but it also means there’s not room for a Greenway increase coming as well. Paying your third line center $5+m not withstanding of course.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well, he improved his offense and got into the Selke conversation this year. I'm sure it wasn't easy to do, but that doesn't make the next step impossible.

Nobody in their right mind pays anyone $5.25M a year to play with Marcus Foligno.

Ek is a very good defensive player, but let's keep it real, he isn't in any Selke conversation if he plays the year between Kap/Zuccarello or Fiala/Parise.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Nobody in their right mind pays anyone $5.25M a year to play with Marcus Foligno.

Ek is a very good defensive player, but let's keep it real, he isn't in any Selke conversation if he plays the year between Kap/Zuccarello or Fiala/Parise.

But $4.5M a year to play with Foligno is super fair and super cool? That's just too extreme of a jump, IMO, for how little amount of money the different actually is.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Signaling Dumba/Fiala gone is clear, but it also means there’s not room for a Greenway increase coming as well. Paying your third line center $5+m not withstanding of course.
Or Guerin is willing to pay to send Parise away to be bought out by another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad