Confirmed with Link: Erik Karlsson wins 2015 Norris Trophy

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
People are losing their **** over him winning it. Hilarious

Some people just don't understand context. Very mediocre partners early on, and they only remember his mistakes. I've seen Doughty and Subban make their fair share of mistakes as well.

Only difference is that Karlsson makes up for by scoring more often than they do.

But of course, because Karlsson isn't "physical" he lacks defensive skills.

They don't look at puck interceptions and breaking up passes as defense, when in reality it is because it shifts the offense the other way or eliminates threats.

It's actually extremely mind boggling how some people can't understand the context around it and only remember the negative stuff for only Karlsson
It makes me want to smash my head through a wall hahah

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
One of the responses was that Karlsson was left off 11 ballots. I guess Bruce didn't think to count those ones.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Conspiracy theory!

Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur · 3h3 hours ago
Congratulations to the 20 Erik Karlsson voters who left Drew Doughty completely off their ballot

Time to do this to all the trophies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
it was funner the first time Karlsson won the norris, now a lot of people actually accepted the fact he is good. A lot less tears to enjoy.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
One of my favourite pieces of journalism to come from ol' Donny. Almost 7 years to the day.

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Columnists/Brennan/2008/06/21/5947311-sun.html

Never forget.

Conspiracy theory!

Congratulations to the 20 Erik Karlsson voters who left Drew Doughty completely off their ballot

Seems like a lot of votes to give to the Ottawa media...

One of the responses was that Karlsson was left off 11 ballots. I guess Bruce didn't think to count those ones.

Totally irrelevant because they probably had the players who actually "deserved" to win.

mfw when Habs fan appreciate karlsson than most other team's fans

Because they've seen first hand what he can do..

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Another trophy for the record books of the Ottawa Senators, love going on Wikipedia and seeing the accomplishments stack up for the organization.

Cups, division titles, and individual player trophies are what building a historical franchise is all about.

And for the record books, good to see Karlsson win two different types of Norris trophies.

2012: Filip Kuba was his partner
2015: Marc Methot was the partner

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Some people just don't understand context. Very mediocre partners early on, and they only remember his mistakes. I've seen Doughty and Subban make their fair share of mistakes as well.

Only difference is that Karlsson makes up for by scoring more often than they do.

But of course, because Karlsson isn't "physical" he lacks defensive skills.

They don't look at puck interceptions and breaking up passes as defense, when in reality it is because it shifts the offense the other way or eliminates threats.

It's actually extremely mind boggling how some people can't understand the context around it and only remember the negative stuff for only Karlsson
It makes me want to smash my head through a wall hahah

You dont really even need context. Doughty played poorly to start the year and never reached the level he can play. Pk turned over the puck more frequently then any other regular dman in the league. Giveaways are huge eyesores when you see them that often.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
You dont really even need context. Doughty played poorly to start the year and never reached the level he can play. Pk turned over the puck more frequently then any other regular dman in the league. Giveaways are huge eyesores when you see them that often.

Eh, PK is similar to Karlsson where the only reason he has so many giveaways is because the puck is on his stick so much.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

If Doughty had offensive capabilities anywhere near guys like Karlsson, Subban, or even Keith and Weber, maybe the Kings would have actually made the playoffs.

But because it's his offensive abilities that are less than stellar, people overlook it as a flaw.

Ttracer*

giphy.gif

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Eh, PK is similar to Karlsson where the only reason he has so many giveaways is because the puck is on his stick so much.

Karlsson gets more touches and turns the puck over quite a bit less

Karlsson commits 2.66 giveaways in 60 mins of ice. Subban leads all regular dmen with 3.13 giveaaways per 60.

To put that in perspective a bit Karlsson doesnt even give away the puck the most on the sens. Wier turns the puck over 2.79 times per 60

To add to that Karlsson also forces turnovers a ton as measured by his takeaway stat that leads to him having even more touches that could lead to giveaways

Subban is basically one of the worst players in the league in overall turnover plus mi nus per 60 because he doesn not force giveaways often which likely means he doesnt get as many touches. Subban offensively is more likely to skate end to end and try to get through the defense. Karlsson is more likely to force a turnover in transition from being aggressive and skate down the ice on the rush.

Based on my observations karlsson when it comes to offense act quickly in more straight lines. His possessions are frequent and short

Subban on the other hand likes to go left and right a lot of his possessions are long and more frequently lead to failure and an dman out of position.

This stylistic difference leads to Subban sitting back more when he doesnt have the puck well karlsson more frequently will try to make an opposing player turnover the puck.

This isnt meant to bash subban. You watch him and you'll notice missed checks and forced plays. With karlsson you'll notice more getting out muscled and aggressive defensive reads that back fire

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
So NHL16....... He has to be around a 93 right now..

I havent played an NHL game in years lol. I remember having mark stone in the minors and he had like a 59 overall rating with d potential and i was thinking this is our top prospect lol?

Where can i find up to date ratings? Im just curious lol

Xamar*

it was funner the first time Karlsson won the norris, now a lot of people actually accepted the fact he is good. A lot less tears to enjoy.

The 2012 mainboards Norris thread is up there in terms of one of my favorite HF threads ever.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Subban and Doughty are amazing candidates, it's just how some people over look their turnovers, but focus on Karlsson's is what bugs the living crap out of me.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Conspiracy theory!

I would've had Doughty on my ballot but this guy's making it seem completely unacceptable that he wasn't on those 20 ballots. It's really not. Karlsson, Subban, Weber, Josi, Giordano, Letang and Keith were all reasonable players to put on a ballot ahead of him. Unlike Doughty, they all made the playoffs; it's not crazy to think some voters have that as a characteristic they need from the players they vote for.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
He won the Norris despite being mediocre in the first 25% of the season. If he can routinely play like the last 2/3-3/4 of the season, I feel bad for all the other candidates.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
So NHL16....... He has to be around a 93 right now..

They wont give him that high a rating. They'll low-ball his defensive awareness, and probably make his physical category of stats abysmal, even though the guy is a super athlete.

That, and they'll probably leave his shot in the high 80's, when really his shot power should probably be at least 90, which can add up an extra overall point or two.

EK has been underrated constantly in EA's NHL games. Its just something they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad