Erik Karlsson (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sounds like he wants to be here long-term but hasn't gotten the full blessing from the mrs.

Pavs wife, as female captain, needs to step up and do her job.

Reactions: Insignia

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Sounds like he wants to be here long-term but hasn't gotten the full blessing from the mrs.

Pavs wife, as female captain, needs to step up and do her job.

Obviously there is no way to confirm this but this has been my primary concern since the trade. Just hope that the significant others of the players are trying to spend time with Melinda and get her comfortable in the area.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
If Karlsson tells Wilson he isn't resigning here, then our window is likely closed as a cup contender. Because we don't have our 1st round picks the next 2 years we can't rebuild for 2 years as it currently stands. I think a good strategy going forward, assuming we know he isn't resigning as the tdl is to stockpile draft picks in 2022 and 2023. Use the expansion draft and any potential upcoming compliance buyouts to further the strategy of clearing cap space to sign young players. We can also trade with seatle in order to expose players they may want, such as couture, in exchange for draft picks and prospects. Only hertl, and Meier should be off limits. Without having to worry about Karlsson we should be able to sign Meier to a long term deal and keep Pavs to help mentor young players.

An alternative could also be to trade Karlsson to Colorado for ottowas 1st round pick. But I don't think Colorado would ever give that up. Perhaps we could also trade him to Edmonton for unprotected 1st round picks. That would be incredibly dumb of Edmonton, but it is Edmonton.

That said, I am cautiously optimistic he will resign here. But making plans in case he doesn't is only prudent.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Yeah this definitely comes down to Melinda. I hope she’s comfortable in the Bay Area, making friends etc.. and also knows that she can fly east anytime she is home sick. My thinking is now that they’re part of a well run organization would they risk going to another team back east where they aren’t 100% sure they’d be happy?

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
"I'm planning on leaving so even though I'm injured I'm gonna participate in the AS game so maybe the SJ fans will have the memory of me as an Allstar in a Shark uniform and hate me less"

Someone remind his wife the Hoffmans are in Florida.

Why do you think Wilson traded for Hoffman only to immediately trade him to Florida before he got Karlsson? Wilson had this all orchestrated months ago.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I will be surprised if TB is able to sign EK65. They have 3 defenders coming off the books at the end of the season for a total of $11.2m/yr.

EK65 would likely take that and more to sign. Plus, Kucherov gets a big jump in pay to $9.5m/yr after this season as well.

Then, the season after next, Vasilevskiy will want a big pay raise. Probably north of $6m/yr.

If TB is going to have EK65 on the roster, best fit would be renting EK65 now. I think DW parting costs are 2 1st round draft picks and more. One for the Sharks and the other for the Senators. These would be low quality 1st round picks.

I just don't see it.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I will be surprised if TB is able to sign EK65. They have 3 defenders coming off the books at the end of the season for a total of $11.2m/yr.

EK65 would likely take that and more to sign. Plus, Kucherov gets a big jump in pay to $9.5m/yr after this season as well.

Then, the season after next, Vasilevskiy will want a big pay raise. Probably north of $6m/yr.

If TB is going to have EK65 on the roster, best fit would be renting EK65 now. I think DW parting costs are 2 1st round draft picks and more. One for the Sharks and the other for the Senators.

I just don't see it.
That doesn't even mention Point and his big pay coming.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I don’t see realistically he could sign in Tampa, but then again, I didn’t think it would be realistic to get him for Tierney and demelo

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
Assuming by the TDL, DW gets a feeling that EK65 is not going to re-sign, would you guys like him traded to re-coup some assets or still try to load up and go for it?

Obviously the majority of us want him re-signed but just trying to get a feel on what people prefer if he is not going to re-sign.
Have to keep him and roll the dice. This is it. We went all in this year for this 1 guy. We have to keep him until elimination or cup.

Reactions: LA Shark

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah this definitely comes down to Melinda. I hope she’s comfortable in the Bay Area, making friends etc.. and also knows that she can fly east anytime she is home sick. My thinking is now that they’re part of a well run organization would they risk going to another team back east where they aren’t 100% sure they’d be happy?
Yeah. Its a big risk of the unknown as far as that goes. EK65 had played only for 1 organization before ours. And there is a huge difference between how the Sharks are compared to the Senators. They have to be impressed by the Sharks both from the success we have had as a team (playoff runs) and also how stable we are financially. Plus the location and weather are not too shabby either. The only negative in the location is obviously that we are not in the east coast and close to Melinda's family.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
I'm stoked that he is playing in the Allstar Game. I think he is reciprocating all the love and appreciation that has been shown by the fans and community. The fact that a future hall-of-famer is willingly playing through an injury to put a show on for the fans is actually really impressive and symbolic of who he is as a person. This will not be lost on the fans or the org no matter what happens with regards to his upcoming contract.

Cameraguy

Jun 29, 2009
If Karlsson tells Wilson he isn't resigning here, then our window is likely closed as a cup contender. Because we don't have our 1st round picks the next 2 years we can't rebuild for 2 years as it currently stands. I think a good strategy going forward, assuming we know he isn't resigning as the tdl is to stockpile draft picks in 2022 and 2023. Use the expansion draft and any potential upcoming compliance buyouts to further the strategy of clearing cap space to sign young players. We can also trade with seatle in order to expose players they may want, such as couture, in exchange for draft picks and prospects. Only hertl, and Meier should be off limits. Without having to worry about Karlsson we should be able to sign Meier to a long term deal and keep Pavs to help mentor young players.

An alternative could also be to trade Karlsson to Colorado for ottowas 1st round pick. But I don't think Colorado would ever give that up. Perhaps we could also trade him to Edmonton for unprotected 1st round picks. That would be incredibly dumb of Edmonton, but it is Edmonton.

That said, I am cautiously optimistic he will resign here. But making plans in case he doesn't is only prudent.

Coming from an Islanders fan.
You give EK a deadline to sign before the trade deadline or he’s going to pull a Taveras. After his comments, I would start looking for a trade, even being in the playoffs.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Look, there was no chance he was going to reveal anything during the press conference at the all-star game, especially when it's clear contract talks havent started. of course i'm worried he won't re-sign, but i dont expect anything happen until after the season. From all accounts this year, he seems like someone who is just playing hockey to win the cup. Once the season is over, he will weigh options.

I see his "giving back" quote as more him saying thank you to an organization that was respectful and welcoming for him. Least he could do for now, so to speak. Let's not look too far into this quote. He's giving such stock answers to these menial questions.

As for the other ones, this kinda of wordage is very different from how he spoke about ottawa last year, right? that "uncertainty" was much more negative, this seemed like he generally was just living in the moment, all the while sprinkling in positives.

Considering how all the Nylander shit went, i really, truly hope this contract talk isnt on blast in the media. I dont like drama, especially for something where i dont have any input lol

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Coming from an Islanders fan.
You give EK a deadline to sign before the trade deadline or he’s going to pull a Taveras. After his comments, I would start looking for a trade, even being in the playoffs.
yeah if that statement calls into question whether we should listen to you at all ... there was literally nothing in his comments to indicate anything negative.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Look, there was no chance he was going to reveal anything during the press conference at the all-star game, especially when it's clear contract talks havent started. of course i'm worried he won't re-sign, but i dont expect anything happen until after the season. From all accounts this year, he seems like someone who is just playing hockey to win the cup. Once the season is over, he will weigh options.

I see his "giving back" quote as more him saying thank you to an organization that was respectful and welcoming for him. Least he could do for now, so to speak. Let's not look too far into this quote. He's giving such stock answers to these menial questions.

As for the other ones, this kinda of wordage is very different from how he spoke about ottawa last year, right? that "uncertainty" was much more negative, this seemed like he generally was just living in the moment, all the while sprinkling in positives.

Considering how all the Nylander **** went, i really, truly hope this contract talk isnt on blast in the media. I dont like drama, especially for something where i dont have any input lol
I agree with most of this. I am going to continue being positive about the re-signing till I see a sign that makes me think otherwise. At the same, you are totally right with the stock/vanilla answer part. Nowhere has he said that he would like to re-sign with us and hopes to get it done. Once he says something like that, Sharks fans can breathe a lot easier.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Considering how all the Nylander **** went, i really, truly hope this contract talk isnt on blast in the media. I dont like drama, especially for something where i dont have any input lol

Articulate and reasonable. Who are you? You haven’t attacked anybody either.
As far as your points, I’d like to add that the Sharks, DW and HP are going about this as if they’re going to sign Karlsson. I honestly believe that means more. Karlsson is showing that he’s a conscientious and considerate kind of person. That he’s been very up front about this mattering to his wife is something most of us can relate to (if married,) this shouldn’t be seen as a negative.
When the trade happened, Karlsson states that him and his wife wanted to be comfortable where they decide to sign. No one here can deny that the Sharks organization made sure that he’d spend time here.
We are fortunate that DW, HP and PD have made Karlsson a Shark and are making him comfortable here.

Go Sharks!!

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
This contract stuff is a bit worrisome. I guess it will either happen or not, but it would be nice to just know one way or another.

On a positive note, if he does leave, it gives us ample amount of cap room to sign one of the (likely) upcoming UFAs like Panarin, which would be a downgrade from EK, but still a massive plus over the team before we traded for EK.

If you would’ve told me over the summer that we could trade Tierney, Demelo, Norris, Balcers, and a pick for a year of EK and then Panarin long term, I’d take that in a heartbeat.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
I agree with most of this. I am going to continue being positive about the re-signing till I see a sign that makes me think otherwise. At the same, you are totally right with the stock/vanilla answer part. Nowhere has he said that he would like to re-sign with us and hopes to get it done. Once he says something like that, Sharks fans can breathe a lot easier.

Exactly, just a lot of cookie cutter answers that don't really say much, but I am worried that he's going to bolt during free agency, I would be hoping he would say something about wanting to re-sign but that didn't happen. I just don't know which team he would go to out east? The east teams are either basement dwellers, or so far against the cap that they wouldn't be able to afford him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Exactly, just a lot of cookie cutter answers that don't really say much, but I am worried that he's going to bolt during free agency, I would be hoping he would say something about wanting to re-sign but that didn't happen. I just don't know which team he would go to out east? The east teams are either basement dwellers, or so far against the cap that they wouldn't be able to afford him.
Yeah. It is going to hurt us if he leaves during FA for sure. It may lessen the blow a little bit if he can somehow sign one of Panarin/Stone/Duchene but honestly I would rather have EK65.

Honestly, if he does his FA, I think he is gone.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

The qoute about if the wife wants to stay we will stay. If she wants to go we will go is as close as you will get to a free agent saying they want or don't want to sign.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah. It is going to hurt us if he leaves during FA for sure. It may lessen the blow a little bit if he can somehow sign one of Panarin/Stone/Duchene but honestly I would rather have EK65.

Honestly, if he does his FA, I think he is gone.

He's 100% gone if he hits free agency, Losing EK will also kill our defence as well. Outside Burns-- Vlasic, Braun, Simek, Ryan, and Heed are not premier defenders and really haven't been all that good outside some good play. I'm praying Vlasic comes back to form when he's back from injury but I'm not holding my breathe. Signing EK is a must for this franchise, if not we might as well start selling off pieces.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
The qoute about if the wife wants to stay we will stay. If she wants to go we will go is as close as you will get to a free agent saying they want or don't want to sign.

I'm surprised he said that. That's a lot of pressure to put on your wife. If he stays she's going to be loved for it, but if they end up leaving, then basically an entire team and city are gonna hate this girl, I don't know why he would put that on her.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Tampa can make it work, but it's tough and may go against their culture. Let's say that Tampa somehow signs Karlsson for $9M/yr and Point for $8M/yr, with one of Girardi or Coburn or someone like that coming back as the #6 d-man at $1M. That would take them to $93.9M if they filled out the bottom 6 with Paquette, Raddysh, Erne, Cirelli, and Martel.

Step 1: Pay a team with a good forward like Palat (no NTC), Miller (no NTC), Killorn (full NTC), Johnson (10 Team NTC), in exchange for taking Callahan's contract (14 team NTC) for picks 84.22M.

Step 2: Trade Miller/Palat for a cheaper top 9 forward like Labanc, Coyle, Pearson, ect and you're at ~81M- allowing for more appropriate contracts of 10 and 8.5 for Karl and Point.

Now, if the places were reversed, would I give up say Labanc, Donskoi, Braun, and a guy like Tierney for Karlsson? Definitely. Palat and Miller are better players of course, but I might consider a culture hit to get a top 2 RHD who perfectly fits my team's style.

I think we've got a great chance of getting him, but absolutely believe Tampa is a viable threat.

StarCraft

Flash > Gretzky
Apr 11, 2010

That was not a quote by Karlsson. That was a poster's interpretation of what Karlsson said in this article. I don't see anything in the article that indicates that line of thinking in any way.

Original post:
After reading the article.

"If my wife wants to stay, we are staying, if not, I'm out and I'll give the sharks plenty of notice"

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm surprised he said that. That's a lot of pressure to put on your wife. If he stays she's going to be loved for it, but if they end up leaving, then basically an entire team and city are gonna hate this girl, I don't know why he would put that on her.

As mentioned above, he didn’t say that at all and I don’t really think he implied it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad