Erik Karlsson (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Yeah but Ottawa is a different situation. This is a much more stable team and in a different area.

Yah, Ottawa had terrible management, almost no hope at a cup anytime soon, and he hated one of his teamates. I'd ask for a lot too.

Totally opposite situation here, but even if he wants 12+, whatever.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
He wanted doughty money with Ottawa so I expect him to get 11 or more

Yeah but Ottawa is a different situation. This is a much more stable team and in a different area.

Ottawa is a hot mess (and was last season too). Uncertainty with future home (and lawsuits), owner bleeding $$, in rebuilding mode.

Contrast that with well funded, stable owner (who doesn't seem to mind if the team loses a few million, as long as it's winning); long term, stable front office; well respected coach; great weather; supportive fan base.

I would assume that Plattner, PDB and DW made it clear they'd love to re-sign him long term.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Keep in mind, the tax situation is completely different between San Jose and Ottawa.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Also remember, Karlsson turned down the $10M/8Y offer not because of the financial details, but because ownership refused to give him a no-trade clause, and because he was worried that he would be traded.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
The main board thread on Karlsson is a dumpster fire. Wilson has to be one of the most underrated GMs in the league on this board...it's ridiculous.

If Karlsson walks, it's not because of money (Hasso is willing to pay anything IMO) or the teams "window". It's because he or his wife (or both) don't want to commit to the West Coast and prefer to be in the East.

With that said, Wilson has been waaay to candid about contract talks and how confident he feels they can resign him that I don't see any reason Karlsson leaves other than what I said above.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The main board thread on Karlsson is a dumpster fire. Wilson has to be one of the most underrated GMs in the league on this board...it's ridiculous.

If Karlsson walks, it's not because of money (Hasso is willing to pay anything IMO) or the teams "window". It's because he or his wife (or both) don't want to commit to the West Coast and prefer to be in the East.

With that said, Wilson has been waaay to candid about contract talks and how confident he feels they can resign him that I don't see any reason Karlsson leaves other than what I said above.

Agreed. If he does walk que the peanut gallery saying it's because SJs window is closed. If he resigns it will be a huge mistake and it's because EK65 is done and can no longer pivot.

Reactions: WSS11

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Agreed. If he does walk que the peanut gallery saying it's because SJs window is closed. If he resigns it will be a huge mistake and it's because EK65 is done and can no longer pivot.
giphy (49).gif

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
San Jose is a class organization and after being marooned on the Senators for most of his career I think EK appreciates that.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Erik Karlsson Post-Tax Earnings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Turns out it's not that big between the two but apparently still over $165,000.

Must be freakin' nice to play in Tampa, Nashville, Vegas, Florida, or Dallas.

You get taxed for where you play, so when the Sharks play in Tampa, Dallas, Florida and etc they benefit from no tax as well and when those teams are in California/Boston/Canada or other high tax cities they get hit hard too

Though Tampa and Florida get tax free for like 50 games, 41 home plus road games in the other Florida city + Dallas and others

Reactions: SactoShark

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
You get taxed for where you play, so when the Sharks play in Tampa, Dallas, Florida and etc they benefit from no tax as well and when those teams are in California/Boston/Canada or other high tax cities they get hit hard too

Though Tampa and Florida get tax free for like 50 games, 41 home plus road games in the other Florida city + Dallas and others
Yep, jock tax.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Really? did not know that

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
So is the general consensus with the contract talks starting up after the all star break that Dougie should be able to get this thing done and I can finally buy my EK65 jersey?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So is the general consensus with the contract talks starting up after the all star break that Dougie should be able to get this thing done and I can finally buy my EK65 jersey?

Yeah dude. Check the main boards too, the general consensus is that he knows where he wants to play and he will be signing a long term contract there.

It’s safe for you your Tampa Bay Karlsson jersey now. :sarcasm:

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Yeah dude. Check the main boards too, the general consensus is that he knows where he wants to play and he will be signing a long term contract there.

It’s safe for you your Tampa Bay Karlsson jersey now. :sarcasm:

You told me to check the main boards....I’m just returning from there and it’s a nightmare. Funny, that tweet from LeBrun makes it seem like Karlsson is legit signing here and they’re just waiting for the deadline to do so, but everyone in the main thread is convinced he’s leaving. When I hear “discussing an extension and mutual interest” I’m leaning towards he’s re signing. If it was worded “Karlsson doesn’t plan on re signing and plans to test UFA” then yes he’s walking

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You told me to check the main boards....I’m just returning from there and it’s a nightmare. Funny, that tweet from LeBrun makes it seem like Karlsson is legit signing here and they’re just waiting for the deadline to do so, but everyone in the main thread is convinced he’s leaving. When I hear “discussing an extension and mutual interest” I’m leaning towards he’s re signing. If it was worded “Karlsson doesn’t plan on re signing and plans to test UFA” then yes he’s walking

Fun fact, this team is younger now than they were in 2009-2010. So, this imminent demise, which never actually happened, is slightly less imminent than it was back then, but it’s still imminent.

Tomorrow I’m going to try and compare the point shares by age of those teams so that I can see whether that team got more contribution from its older players or this one does.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Lately, the whole "tax" thing has become much less of an issue. At that level of money, it becomes adding money to your bank account in a kind of competitive race...and in this case, saying you are being paid "12 million" even if your take home is slightly less than someone getting paid 11 million.

NathanCouture

Angry Joe
Sponsor
Nov 1, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Lately, the whole "tax" thing has become much less of an issue. At that level of money, it becomes adding money to your bank accounts in a kind of competitive race...and in this case, saying you are being paid "12 million" even if your take home is slightly less than someone getting paid 11 million.

When you make that much money you hire accountants that help you with taxes. The rich don’t pay as much in taxes as their tax rates would suggest. They probably pay less in percent than your average person does.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I don't recall many a story about a UFA hockey that didn't go in order:
  1. Personal
  2. Professional
  3. Pay
Maybe Loui Eriksson went the opposite way? I dunno. Not many "irregardless".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad