Erik Karlsson (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I box score watching for Karlsson's name much like i did with Jumbo from 07-14, when the team was obviously good and winning and losing games was immaterial (since we were obviously locks for the playoffs). I really cared more if Jumbo got an assist. Now i care if both of them get points haha

Funny I was doing that when he was on the Sens.....hoping he wouldn’t be on it so Burns would have the defenseman scoring lead

Reactions: tiburon12

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

the edge Karlsson has on Mcdavid is that he influences a lot more of the team than him. McDavid can only make his own line better. it still means that lines 2-4 are gonna suck. But Karlsson you can throw him out with anyone and he will make all 4 lines better. A lot more valuable than just having one line going.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
By the way, the vague, cliche answers Karlsson gives the media are gold. Listening to the postgame interviews from Tampa and LA and he says very similar things in both of them.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
So, safe to say you guys will want to sign him for 8 years? He's probably looking at 11-12 AAV though. That's steep but watching him you kind of feel like it's well deserved, right?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
So, safe to say you guys will want to sign him for 8 years? He's probably looking at 11-12 AAV though. That's steep but watching him you kind of feel like it's well deserved, right?
Are you kidding? He's worth more... Still, I'm betting he signs for less than $10mil. I think he wants to play for a winner and winners need depth. If he makes 9-10mil he's the highest paid player on the team and they can afford to sign their own players still and maybe add if they shed some dead weight in salary (Braun, Vlassic). Maybe him and Burns pull a similar deal as Marleau and Jumbo used to... matching contracts.:laugh:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We're getting to the point where $7m is borderline 1st line/pairing money. $11m for an, arguably, generational player is no biggie now or in the future.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. I feel largely similar about EK as you guys do. He's a game changer and a guy who dictates the course of an entire team. Obviously he's not a guarantee for championship, even Gretzky wasn't that. But ultimately, guys like Karlsson are worth whatever they are paid. I always look at these situation in trade perspective. The side who gets the best player in the trade more often than not ends up winning.

There are guys who are great players but they're replaceable. First line fan favorites who nobody wants to see go away, but when they do management can replace them. Karlsson is the kind of guy who you can't replace. This is a very rare breed of players who fit this mold. This is the type of player who you can't replace nor can you depend on even the highest draft pick to bring you one. Simply put, you either have Erik Karlsson or you don't.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
The way he's getting hyped up on broadcasts and social media I believe the Sharks feel confident he is going to stay.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
thats just the sharks trying to go "see look we love you and so do the fans"
Yah. Can't read too much about the hype being generated. I think the Sharks management 'believed' they have a good chance of re-signing EK65 when they made the trade. Till they start the re-signing talks, they have to continue believing that way and act in a similar way.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I feel like it's going to be 11 because that was Alfie's number and Alfie was EK's mentor.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I'd pay him whatever he wants frankly, but I doubt he does that to the team. I'm betting he wants 11, and that's totally fine. He want's to win too, and I'm sure he can figure out that handicapping the team (any team) with a massive contract isn't conducive to winning a cup. I still say Karlsson is the best defensemen on the planet, and I think he's still got multiple Norris trophy's in him. It's a real treat to get to watch two of the best D-men in the game today play together night in and night out.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
DW should give Karlsson whatever he wants but I suspect he will be around 11 mil like Doughty was. Maybe a little higher to try to push the salaries up for everyone else. Whatever it ends up being, do it and work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad