Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Because only one team can have him and if you get him now you compete with far less teams than you do july 1st next summer. BTW this upcoming season is likely Tampas best chance to win because Karlsson only make 6,5 mill and Kucherov 4,6 or something. Next season they make around twice as much
Tampa can very likely win a cup without Karlsson. That's not a very convincing argument.

I get what you're saying, but no GM is going to give up market value for EK right now, especially if Ryan keeps getting shoved down their throats and when they know the guy is gonna walk.

If he gets dealt, he gets dealt. Maybe a GM on the brink of contending will break and give up that one piece, but Yzerman isn't going to wake up tomorrow morning and feel like EK is a need. He wants to upgrade, but there's other guys out there.

At this point, if I'm Yzerman, I just tell Ottawa I'm out and take my chances with him getting to free agency.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
I'm not one to usually care a lot about in-division or in-conference stuff...but there's absolutely no reason for Ottawa to sell low on Karlsson to either Tampa or Toronto. If both are in the Karlsson derby, I would have no problem playing one against the other if I was Dorion. And if neither steps-up...then I'd gladly ship Karlsson to Dallas or Vegas, even if they offer a bit less.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
If we are getting deadline calibre deals for EK now, there is no rush to move him. He will almost definitely return to form next season with first off-season to train in forever. He will return as the best d in the league again and his value will go up, Ottawa will also be further from the basement and lower their own 1st rounder while guys like Chabot still being insulated. Also, you never know; Melnyk might sell or something might mend between relations.

Worst case scenario: the same deals offered now will also be offered in trade deadline if they aren't good enough to trade EK now.

Or a team budges now and he's traded now.

IF EK really does want out, he will be traded, but he could be traded from now till deadline, no rush if the right offer isn't there
The thing is if Karlsson is hell bent on going to Tampa Bay this year thru a trade or next summer as a UFA then that's what will happen not matter what Ottawa wants. And if he's not traded to Tampa Bay this summer and is available at next year's trade deadline, if the team acquiring him isn't TB then they're not going to give up as much to try and get him knowing that he won't resign with them. So it becomes a game of chicken between Ottawa and Karlsson.

Reactions: amjay13

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Sorry but there’s no way I trade Sergachev. Frankly I don’t want Karlsson anyway - he’s simply a luxury we don’t need and can’t afford. But if we are trading for him it needs to be based around the roster players we’ll have to move to afford him in the first place - we aren’t going to trade our top young, cheap talent to acquire him and then gut our roster further to afford his cap hit. If that means we don’t get him then I am perfectly happy with that (in fact I’d much prefer it.)

I mean...personal opinion on wanting the player or not, Dorion would be absolutely crucified if he didn't come back with at least one blue chip prospect that makes TB management cringe. If he doesn't get one of Foote or preferably Sergachev, then I give up.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm not one to usually care a lot about in-division or in-conference stuff...but there's absolutely no reason for Ottawa to sell low on Karlsson to either Tampa or Toronto. If both are in the Karlsson derby, I would have no problem playing one against the other if I was Dorion. And if neither steps-up...then I'd gladly ship Karlsson to Dallas or Vegas, even if they offer a bit less.

That is undoubtedly exactly what's happening, except without Toronto involved and probably some Western team, Vegas or SJ or something or both.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
How is the state taxes even a debate... the 25% USD to CAD exchange rate knocks the income tax rate for the 11,000,000 down to 24% tax, Then if the player is smart they will invest 25% of the yearly salary into a TFSA or an RRSP for long-term financial stability for future generations of their family.

2,750,000 into a yearly RRSP results in an additional 1,500,000 in tax savings.. Thus further reducing the income tax another 14%.

So if the Leafs were to offer Karlsson 11,000,000/year, by following ^ this style of plan Tampa would be able to offer a comparable 9,900,000/year.

Whether or not the number are accurate if you use Cap Geek's post tax earnings calculator it says Tampa can offer even less than 9.9mil they can go as low as 8.5mil and still beat an 11mil offer from Toronto.

Reactions: razor ray

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Ottawa's best bet is to trade Karlsson out West for a great return where you don't have to think about him anymore. Seems like nothing worse than trading him to Tampa (division rival) only to see him often and have him have success with the Lightning, and also have their fans tell you about how you shouldn't expect much for giving away your franchise player to them. Might as well get the same return from San Jose or someone and not see him anymore.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I just honestly can't believe how close a deal has been this entire week with 3 different teams and now no one appears close at all. Crazy how fast things change. San Jose is next I bet

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I don’t think we are in Karlsson derby. It would take Nylander+ to land him, although we do have a lot of depth on the wing Nylander is still a top line winger for us who is young and had back to back 60 points seasons.

If Karlsson was/is willing to sign with us, something like Turris situation, then I can understand breaking the bank for him but not as it is right now.

RowdyMcPfeifer

Aug 17, 2007
How is the state taxes even a debate... the 25% USD to CAD exchange rate knocks the income tax rate for the 11,000,000 down to 24% tax, Then if the player is smart they will invest 25% of the yearly salary into a TFSA or an RRSP for long-term financial stability for future generations of their family.

2,750,000 into a yearly RRSP results in an additional 1,500,000 in tax savings.. Thus further reducing the income tax another 14%.

So if the Leafs were to offer Karlsson 11,000,000/year, by following ^ this style of plan Tampa would be able to offer a comparable 9,900,000/year.

The exchange rate only helps with costs/living expenses while living in Canada and would not have an positive influence on tax payable. Paid in USD, converted to CAD and tax is paid on that amount.

Considering the yearly limit in Canada for a TFSA is ~$5,500 and RRSP is ~$26,000, I'm not sure how much this is going to help an athlete making ~$10M per year...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Whether or not the number are accurate if you use Cap Geek's post tax earnings calculator it says Tampa can offer even less than 9.9mil they can go as low as 8.5mil and still beat an 11mil offer from Toronto.

and weve all seen players leave millions on the table to go where they want to go

weve all seen young rich hockey players waste... so much money on... such stupid things

weve all seen many athletes and entertainers robbed blind by their money managers

weve seen many of these young celebrity types simply not pay their taxes in the first place and go to jail or get their crap confiscated and sold off

when players do choose where to play... not a single one ever had a press conference and said I liked the tax rate... or the exchange rate was very attractive... or theres a good opportunity to do endorsements here

we as fans think it matters... ex players have never said it matters... current players have never said it matters

it doesn't really matter

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You so
Sens will get what they want or he won't be moved. If teams low ball they not getting Karlsson
You sounds like avs fans pre the duchene deal. In the end most of us were right. However, Sakic had more time than Dorion does and less pressure. In the end I expect the sens to get a great future package. At least I hope so.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Dorion should try to trade Karlsson to a Western conference team but his hands might be tied if Karlsson doesn't agree to a new contract with one of those teams.

All he has to do is wait. There will be a suitor at TDL. Which ever team is in a position for a cup run at that point will take him on as a rental and could care less about a new contract.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
everyone wants to be a Leaf (even non hockey players who aren't from Toronto) so with the Leafs anything is possible.

He'd probably take a 3/4 discount just to play there.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
never saw a player actually care about taxes before... but I suppose it might be possible

theres a much better exchange rate in Canada when players are paid in American dollars but live in Canada and get a 20% exchange rate

sure haven't seen anyone ever care about that either

most players seem to have an ego and want to be paid what they are worth. most agents that get a % want that % to be as high as possible

but if that tax thing ever does become a reality... let me know... will be interesting to see florida panthers load up with all the best ufa at half the cost other teams need to pay

Umm the tax already is a thing how do you think Hedman only has a caphit of 7,875,000 per year and that Barkov and Huberdeau have a cap hit of 5.9 for the next 4 years.

IIRC there is talk about somehow bridging the tax gap at the next CBA because Dallas, Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Nashville have a huge advantage over other teams in that aspect.

Here are a couple articles talking about it, I couldn't find any more recent ones tho.

Taxes and the NHL | Spectors Hockey
https://nationalpost.com/sports/hoc...ing-to-entice-free-agents-north-of-the-border
https://business.financialpost.com/...ng-your-nhl-team-from-winning-the-stanley-cup

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
All he has to do is wait. There will be a suitor at TDL. Which ever team is in a position for a cup run at that point will take him on as a rental and could care less about a new contract.

Nobody going for a run will be trading their young roster player. It has to be before the season begins. Unless you guys want completely unproven players that may or may not pan out well for you.

Picks are nothing when you are trading a player of Karlsson’s caliber. Also there will be no contending team with great young players that might be expendable except for Tampa, Toronto at least from the listed teams.

I for once rather let Karlsson go to Tampa if that’s where he ultimately wants to go.

CamelToews

Dec 16, 2015
They wouldn’t deal Hoffman in the same division. Don’t think they’ll differ from that here.

member 290103

It's possible but per the Leaf fans, he's only worth Brown and a 2nd since he is coming off an injury.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Three or four first round picks + Liljegren + Kapanen + Johnsson

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
*** - Kadri - ***
Fourth line

Karlsson - Rielly
Gardiner - Dermott
Zaitsev - Carrick/Borgman

Andersen

Just messing around...
3 or 4 late firsts, 2 3rd liners, and a future #3d isnt enough for the best d in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad