Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Karlsson is not >>> than Scott Niedermayer. Total stat watching. Have you seen Scott Niedermayer play? He did so much more than put up points, and most importantly won wherever he went. Hedman also has a ways to go before he is better than Pronger. Pronger is a HHOF player, Hedman is not there yet.
Hedman is a lock for the HHOF. Is there another Norris winner + finalist who wasn't in?

People need to recalibrate what they expect out of HHOF players. If you win a major award you're all but a lock (exception being Vezina).

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Leetch - Zubov

I was gonna say Hatcher-Zubov during Dallas's prime years, but Hatcher was usually with Matvichuk while Zubov paired with Sydor. Still, those two as a tandem would make a top-20 list for sure.

Leetch-Zubov of course was legendary as well. Think Zubov led the team in scoring that year too. :laugh:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Erlendsson basically reiterating what he said last night. Talking about the premature report from last night. Erlendsson said he feels like it's going to happen it just hasn't happened yet.

Now he's talking about how there is smoke that Karlsson WILL NOT sign an extension with anyone but the Lightning

If that is the case then its just a matter of crossing the ts and dotting the lower case J's. I cant wait to see what the final trade is. That gives me more anxiety than excitement for the trade.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Hedman is a lock for the HHOF. Is there another Norris winner + finalist who wasn't in?

People need to recalibrate what they expect out of HHOF players. If you win a major award you're all but a lock (exception being Vezina).
I think you need to go watch (not youtube clips) some full games of Pronger and Niedermayer in their prime. They absolutely controlled the game and rarely made costly mistakes.

Reactions: haveandare

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Orr - anyone.

Yeah, Orr and Smith is another. Johnson was another Norris winner, so that's why I give him and Harvey the edge. 1 that dominated the era and another that was right behind.

Even with as good as some of the more recent guys discussed here, only Lidstrom has dominated the era. Lidstrom/Rafalski is better than a lot mentioned in here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Doug Wilson. Him and Carlyle are the only guys to win a Norris at all and not get in to the best of my knowledge, but Wilson also finished 3rd once.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Some how the Leafs have to find a way to get this guy.

I am not a fan of either team, but Karlsson to the Lightning negates Travares to the Leafs in my opinion.

Defense always beats offense.
Nylander+1st+Liljegren.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Doug Wilson won a Norris and had a couple 4th place finishes. That's the best I can find. (Carlyle won and had at least a 9th place finish; every other winner is either in the Hall or not yet eligible.)

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Karlsson might be >> Niedermayer offensively, however
Niedermayer >>>>> Karlsson defensively

Also, how many Hart trophies has Hedman won to be roughly equal to Pronger?
A) Pronger shouldn't have won that Hart
B) It was an incredibly weak Hart. That's like ranking Price over Roy because he has a Hart. Jagr won the Art Ross with like 63 games played (96 points). That's the only reason he didn't win. Bure missed like 8 games or he would have cleared 100 points. Sakic missed like 25 games. Hasek only played 35 games. Any one of those play a whole season and they win the Hart. This was the first time since the 60s that the Art Ross went to a player without 100 points, which led to a Dman being picked.
C) Lidstrom outscored Pronger by 13 points. Lidstrom is on the short list of best defensive players of all time. Do you think Pronger was 13 points better than Lidstrom defensively? Lidstrom should have won the Norris that year, but he wasn't a guy that regularly got top votes at that time.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Much like Josi and Subban, I don't think Hedman and Karlsson play on the same pair.

Also the post 80s answer to the question is Lidstrom and Rafalski.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I think you need to go watch (not youtube clips) some full games of Pronger and Niedermayer in their prime. They absolutely controlled the game and rarely made costly mistakes.
Pronger made costly mistakes *all* the time. Normally they ended with him in the box, but he was far from a "perfect" player. Niedermayer didn't make a ton of mistakes, yeah, but he also didn't have the same impact as a guy like EK.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

A HHOF lock now? That is a tough call after about 5-6 years of truly dominant play. Marty did it for 10 years at least. I think the sample size has to be a bit more. Another Norris and he's got it for sure though. It'll at least prove his first win was not a fluke.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yea it's tough to compare pre-expansion, especially considering there were no Europeans in the league.

Honestly Bobby Orr + who cares is probably the best answer.
Fun discussion though. Lots of great options, and really no wrong answer. I'd be totally fine with quite a few.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
didn't Leetch play with Beukeboom? Don't recall those two ever being a pair.

Correct. I'm sure Leetch and Zubov played together for a few minutes here and there but Leetch and Beuke were glued together most of the time. Leetch played best when he played with someone who allowed him to go deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad