Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
With Price getting $10.5 and Connor likely ~$13.5, will this team spend $10M+ for 8 years on Karlsson?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
sens will offer EK MAX*8 if it comes to it.

If Ek leaves this team in the next two years I already promised to myself and a bunch of others, I wont support this team till Melynk is gone.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I don't think there is one team in the NHL that would fall apart more from losing their best player, than Ottawa.

Not even Edmonton.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Losing Karlsson would be devastating for the organization. I don't think it will happen, but if it does, the team will lose a significant amount of season ticket holders

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There's also a lot of pressure from the NHLPA for the stars to max out.

On one hand, I don't blame anyone for grabbing every penny you can. In life, the only person truly looking out for you is you. But....in a cap world, the more you get, the less is left to improve the team. Then again, if you leave money on the table and the team squanders it on bad contracts, or the owner pockets it, then you lost money for nothing.

Definitely a hard decision for anyone to make. No real 'right' answer here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

On one hand, I don't blame anyone for grabbing every penny you can. In life, the only person truly looking out for you is you. But....in a cap world, the more you get, the less is left to improve the team. Then again, if you leave money on the table and the team squanders it on bad contracts, or the owner pockets it, then you lost money for nothing.

Agree which is why I think the organization also has to look at this & whether it is right for the team as a whole or if it would help the team to get as much as they can for him to better the team. If they decide to go in a different direction from Karlsson it would have to be within the next yr or so one would think so they don't lose him for nothing. The fall out from that could also cripple this organization & lose a lot of fans unless they can get a great return & actually improve. This is going to be a very tough call.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Agree which is why I think the organization also has to look at this & whether it is right for the team as a whole or if it would help the team to get as much as they can for him to better the team. If they decide to go in a different direction from Karlsson it would have to be within the next yr or so one would think so they don't lose him for nothing.

I think, if they were thinking about going in a different direction, he would be traded already. His NTC kicked in a few days ago. Trading him now would give us a garbage return.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
He's living his lavish lifestyle with 6.5M per.

Get him under 11M and I'm sure he'll survive...

He's been making 7M for the past couple years. He'll finish his contract at 7.5M in the 2018-2019 season. So maybe a 4M-5M per year raise? That wouldn't be too bad.

Actually I'd assume, if the contract is long, that the deal would be front loaded. He could be making upwards of $15M per season for the first few years of the contract. So, While 'The Score' is a pretty crappy site to go to for information, there may be a hint of truth to it.

EDIT - Matt Cane has a VERY accurate player salary predictor. I'm almost afraid what it will say Karlsson is gonna get.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Clickbait garbage.

The Score has been trash for over a decade now.

They've had the odd contributor that does good work from time to time; like Justin Bourne back a couple years ago did a series on unique team traits where he combined some advance stats and actual breakdowns of plays showing how the player or team achieved those numbers. He ended up getting hired by the leafs in some capacity, so no more articles, but those were some of the best pieces because of how he was able to tie the stats to systems and breakdowns of plays. It showed the difference between the product you can get from guys with extensive hockey backgrounds (Bourne made it to the AHL level I think), and the typical hockey bloggers out there, who may be very good with numbers, but don't have that same level of understanding of systems.

And to tie that last para into the topic at hand, Karlsson, here's a link to Bourne's piece on Karlsson;

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With Price getting $10.5 and Connor likely ~$13.5, will this team spend $10M+ for 8 years on Karlsson?

With Alfie leaving and the team showing no commitment to winning I just dont see him re-signing here regardless of the money. Plus he can always go to a southern market and just make way more money for the same cap hit. Methot is making an extra 1.3 million on two years of 4.9. I am no math matician but if Karlsson signs the same contract in Dallas, Vegas, Fla or Tampa that he does with the sens at lets say 12 million a year for 7 years thats is substantially more money. I know if I saw the way this organization is ran I wouldnt be coming back. Especially when my mentor leaves due to poor treatment and bad pay. That would be roughly 12 million extra over the 7 years based on the Radulov math that Macromela was describing last night.

But when you know the team wont spend the extra money to get better whats your motivation to take a discount? He just saw his partner and good friend walk away for next to nothing while the team has plenty of cap space to retain him.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
With Alfie leaving and the team showing no commitment to winning I just dont see him re-signing here regardless of the money. Plus he can always go to a southern market and just make way more money for the same cap hit. Methot is making an extra 1.3 million on two years of 4.9. I am no math matician but if Karlsson signs the same contract in Dallas, Vegas, Fla or Tampa that he does with the sens at lets say 12 million a year for 7 years thats is substantially more money. I know if I saw the way this organization is ran I wouldnt be coming back. Especially when my mentor leaves due to poor treatment and bad pay.

Ya pretty much. More money, better climate, a team that is committed to winning, why would he stay in Ottawa.

Our only hope really is that his Ottawa born wife strong arms him into staying. Not that I'm too hopefully of that, if I told my wife we could make more money if we moved to California or Florida the movers would be booked yesterday lol

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ya pretty much. More money, better climate, a team that is committed to winning, why would he stay in Ottawa.

Our only hope really is that his Ottawa born wife strong arms him into staying. Not that I'm too hopefully of that, if I told my wife we could make more money if we moved to California or Florida the movers would be booked yesterday lol

Well, he is on wife #2. I'm not privvy to what happened with wife #1, but it definitely shows he is willing to walk away under certain circumstances.

As for wife #2, I doubt she strong-arms herself away from that kind of sugar daddy. Karlsson will likely end up as a $120 mil+ career guy...not many folks around here making that much over their career.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, he is on wife #2. I'm not privvy to what happened with wife #1, but it definitely shows he is willing to walk away under certain circumstances.

As for wife #2, I doubt she strong-arms herself away from that kind of sugar daddy. Karlsson will likely end up as a $120 mil+ career guy...not many folks around here making that much over their career.

Geeze, Nac Mac. This is the biggest stretch I can recall seeing on here in recent memory. You're better than that.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

I hope to Christ you're not a detective. That's one hell of a stretch you're taking there.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
With Alfie leaving and the team showing no commitment to winning I just dont see him re-signing here regardless of the money. Plus he can always go to a southern market and just make way more money for the same cap hit. Methot is making an extra 1.3 million on two years of 4.9. I am no math matician but if Karlsson signs the same contract in Dallas, Vegas, Fla or Tampa that he does with the sens at lets say 12 million a year for 7 years thats is substantially more money. I know if I saw the way this organization is ran I wouldnt be coming back. Especially when my mentor leaves due to poor treatment and bad pay. That would be roughly 12 million extra over the 7 years based on the Radulov math that Macromela was describing last night.

But when you know the team wont spend the extra money to get better whats your motivation to take a discount? He just saw his partner and good friend walk away for next to nothing while the team has plenty of cap space to retain him.

The team just got to the ECF and was 1 goal from the SCF. I think they are doing alright in terms of winning for now.

Alfredsson leaving could be a personal decision. Inferring that it is due to some sort of issue with the team is without merit and based on nothing but conjecture.

Alfredsson himself said that he wanted to experience what it took to work in an NHL front office, and he did that for 2 years. Now he's stepping back from hockey to decide what he wants to do with his life. Maybe he wants to spend more time with his family since he's been gone for 1/3 of every year for the last 20 years. After seeing what it takes to be in a hockey Ops role, maybe he's not sure if that's what he wants to do with the next 15-20 years of his life? But no, he's leaving because the team isn't committed to winning and that means Karlsson is leaving too.

Seems odd that Alfredsson has already said that they are returning to live in Ottawa after their summer vacation in Sweden, so it's not like they are leaving for good. My guess is if Alfredsson decides he wants to work in the front office, he'll come back to the Sens as an Assistant GM, which I'm sure is an open offer to him.

Your reference to poor treatment and bad pay. Is that from when Alfiredsson left for Detroit or is that something that happened recently?

As for the taxes issue, Carey Price just signed for 8 more years in Montreal despite the Habs (Quebec) having the harshest tax laws in the league. Price said a big factor was how weird it would feel putting on a different jersey. Perhaps EK feels the same? His soon to be wife is from Ottawa so she obviously has strong ties to the area. I'm hopeful that the Sens learned from the Aflredsson fiasco and will offer EK a fair deal and he'll sign here long term.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Geeze, Nac Mac. This is the biggest stretch I can recall seeing on here in recent memory. You're better than that.

lol, no! I meant he split from wife #1, so he's probably not the type to be a puppy dog and do whatever the wife wants. I'm not suggesting that divorce = walking away from Ottawa. Probably not worded all that well.

What I mean is, he might not be the type to be strong-armed by anyone. Not even the wife.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
You guys are awful doom and gloom. There are some legitimate reasons why he'd chose to stay in Ottawa.

This is the team that gave him his shot in the league. It's a community he knows and adores him. He plays for a team that's built around him, where he is the leader and cornerstone. He's seen the jersey of his close friends raised to the rafters for this team. I'd think having his raised up there with them would be a future goal. He just lead this team to the brink of the finals. A bounce or two and who knows?

It's certainly not a lock. There are good reasons for him to consider a change. I wouldn't say there is only small hope that he re-signs with the team. I think the chances are pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad