Erik Johnson, is he the best D at WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Matt MacInnis said:
You just vocalized what I didn't want to say (turning it into a AO/Crosby vs Kessel thing).

Well, the media (especially American media) has turned it into a AO/Crosby vs Kessel thing, so the comparisons are inevitable, and a bit unfair at this point. Like I've said before, at Kessel's age Crosby and Ovechkin had much more well-rounded games and were more physically mature. That puts both players a step up on Kessel IMO. That doesn't mean Kessel isn't a great prospect, because he is, and it doesn't mean that Kessel doesn't have a leg up on both players in certain areas, because he does (such as his speed).

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
It is inevitable, but I can still try to avoid it. :)

The problem is too many people seem to want to take another person saying "Player Y isn't as good as player X" as inferring that somehow that means Player Y is garbage.

From what I have seen, it is obvious that Phil Kessel is not on Sidney Crosby's level (I'll leave AO out of it because I haven't seen him live). But you're right, he has some things over Crosby (such as, for example, his speed). But as an overall package, especially in terms of "ready now", he is not at that level.

He's still a special player.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Matt MacInnis said:
It is inevitable, but I can still try to avoid it. :)

The problem is too many people seem to want to take another person saying "Player Y isn't as good as player X" as inferring that somehow that means Player Y is garbage.

From what I have seen, it is obvious that Phil Kessel is not on Sidney Crosby's level (I'll leave AO out of it because I haven't seen him live). But you're right, he has some things over Crosby (such as, for example, his speed). But as an overall package, especially in terms of "ready now", he is not at that level.

He's still a special player.

I have no problem with that. As is, Phil Kessel is not on Crosby's level, and probably never will be.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I do not know if Jack is better Eric or vice versa. They both bring different styles. Eric has the better shot. I can remember Eric when he played the gophers here last year, do some kind of 360 twirl and keep the puck and get it in the zone. 6'4 guys are not supposed to be able to do that and neither are teen age defensmen supposed to be that agile. Jack on the other hand is no slouch skating wise and is faster. Jack will hit anything that moves wearing the wrong color. Erik is not as physical but when he hits you, you will know. So it will come down who can keep it up at the next level. If Erik can still play physical and keep it up offensivley he will be hard to pass by anyone outthere. If Jack can intimadate others and keep up is offensive play he will be hard to pass up.

Top potential you have Bourque vs Pronger.

On paper Jack may be 3 inches shorter, but i think its just on paper. At least last year seeing them side by side Erik is noticably much taller, more so than 3 inches.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
Jack's only 3 inches shorter, is more gifted on the powerplay and is nastier too. Size can be overrated sometimes - EJ is a classic example.

Just as a note, having stood right beside both of them within the past week or so, I feel very confident in saying that the size difference between the two is greater than just three inches. It's closer to 4-5 inches and about 25 lbs.

Transported Upstater

Matt MacInnis said:
Just as a note, having stood right beside both of them within the past week or so, I feel very confident in saying that the size difference between the two is greater than just three inches. It's closer to 4-5 inches and about 25 lbs.

Agreed. Jack Johnson is not 6'2''.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Well from what I hear Jack Johnson is 6'1 and Erik Johnson is 6'4. That would be three inches unless EJ is 6'5 or JJ is 6'0. Not that it matters much, they are a scary team.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Zine said:
Potential wise perhaps, but he's still only an '88. Right now he's not even close to being the best D-man at the WJC. If he was he'd be a shoo-in for #1 on '06.

TSN is saying he has the potential to be taken over Kessell...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
IMHO Jack Johnson was much better against Finland than Erik Johnson.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I have to admit I didn't expect E. Johnson to be this good. Being an '88, I thought he'd be riding the pine at the WJC. Just the fact that he's playing a significant role for the U.S. says a lot. You don't see that too often. :yo:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:

I was at the States/Norway game - there's no way EJ is 5 inches taller than JJ. Anyways they're both pretty damn good. Oh and theres no way Jonathan Toews can challenge Phil Kessel for the #1 overall pick, so shut the hell up James Duthie/Pierre Mcguire.

Last edited:

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Emelin seems to be making a case for himself. I haven't seen him play today though (and I suspect nobody did), so this is just-report based. I've seen him plenty in Lada though.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Pepper said:
IMHO Jack Johnson was much better against Finland than Erik Johnson.
I agree. None of the puck carrying that we saw Erik doing against Norway was happening against Finland, and he wasn't nearly as physically dominant. He's still a great prospect, but I personally don't think he's close to Jack yet.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
I was at the States/Norway game - there's no way EJ is 5 inches taller than JJ. Anyways they're both pretty damn good. Oh and theres no way Jonathan Toews can challenge Phil Kessel for the #1 overall pick, so shut the hell up James Duthie/Pierre Mcguire.

There is no way it is a three inch difference. I have stood directly beside both of them recently. There is a massive size difference between them. Jack Johnson is a normal sized pro hockey player, basically at 6', 200-205. A little more muscled for his age. EJ is a monster. He's a genetically gifted young man.

It's not really about whether or not EJ is better NOW. It's about whether he WILL be. I'm not sure he will, but his size is a significant item here. It's going to be quite difficult for a guy JJ's size to be the scary, physically dominant D-man he is at this level. 6' even, 200-205 guys, aren't typically the imposing beast he is at this level.

Azalichio

Sep 29, 2005
Den said:
Emelin seems to be making a case for himself. I haven't seen him play today though (and I suspect nobody did), so this is just-report based. I've seen him plenty in Lada though.

1G 2A, player of the game. He's -1 in that game but meh ( +1 for the tournament ). Lead the tournament in points for a Defense with 5points ( 1G 4A ).

I've never seen him play unfortunately, hope he come to NA to play for Hamilton in the AHL next year. Habs really could use another D.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
It's nice to see another crop of dominating defensemen coming into the league as opposed to all these offensive talents. Offensive talents are great, and the truly great are more than generational, but to me, the superstar defensemen is the rarest commodity.

Phaneuf, Suter, Seabrook, JJ, EJ, Ballard, Michelek, etc. etc.

This generation's Stevens, Leetch, Pronger, Blake, Foote, neidermeyer, zubov etc.

All we need is someone to fill lidstrom's place...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad