Erik Johnson, is he the best D at WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hav-a-lot*

What do you guys think of Robbie Schremp saying that EJ is their best D, even better than Jack Johnson? The two of them are paired up. I believe that this could be a true statement as both EJ and JJ are the two best D in the tournament in my opinion. Also I believe that EJ had 2 goals in USA's 5-1 victiry over Norway in their exhibition game. Also Erik may have the possibility to go pro next year, right out of NTDP what do people think about this?

espo*

i've never seen the guy play but i've got my doubts he is the best d-man at this tourney,he's in his draft year and those guys are rarely the best d-man over the 19 year old studs at this tourney.He may not even be top 5-7 at this tourney this year.We'll see,he's sure taking a step up in competition here at this event from any he's ever played.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I admit I've seldom seen him play but to be better than Smid, Barker, Johnson, Bourdon, etc. he must be pretty special and I'd think he'd be rated as a top 3 prospect in the draft if he were better than all 4 of those already

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Potential wise perhaps, but he's still only an '88. Right now he's not even close to being the best D-man at the WJC. If he was he'd be a shoo-in for #1 on '06.

Hav-a-lot*

Ej

Actually depending on what source you look at he is top pick in the draft the lowest I have seen in number 5 overall. He is the best D in the draft and some people say that he could rival Kessel if a team wants a D, and I am not kidding. Also they say that he could go pro next yer depending on the team, this was the same for JJ, but the canes wanted him to play one year NCAA. Plus he is 6'5'' 225 lbs, fast, physical, smart, makes good hard passes and a heavy shot that is very asccurate. JJ is faster by a little and a little bit more physical, but EJ has more potential I think and is a lot bigger. He is suppose to be pronger with more offensive ability and a smarter player.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
If as EJ is the best defenseman in the tournament this year, he would have to be considered the number one overall pick for the upcoming draft. You have Barker, who was 3rd overall in 2004 and JJ who was 3rd overall in 2005. If he is already better then those two players, how could he not be projected as the number one pick this year by a wide margin.

I don't know if it is a trend the past couple of years, but American prospects seem to be getting a lot of hype, especially those in the NTDP.

As for racking up points against Norway, I wouldn't necessarily take that as an indicator of anything.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
no more hype then their canada counterparts get, or russia for that matter.

espo*

bchockey said:
Actually depending on what source you look at he is top pick in the draft the lowest I have seen in number 5 overall. He is the best D in the draft and some people say that he could rival Kessel if a team wants a D, and I am not kidding. Also they say that he could go pro next yer depending on the team, this was the same for JJ, but the canes wanted him to play one year NCAA. Plus he is 6'5'' 225 lbs, fast, physical, smart, makes good hard passes and a heavy shot that is very asccurate. JJ is faster by a little and a little bit more physical, but EJ has more potential I think and is a lot bigger. He is suppose to be pronger with more offensive ability and a smarter player.
if he's smarter then Pronger he's a bone fide defensive genuis the likes of which the game has rarely seen.what scout made this call?Pretty f'in bold i'd say.

espo*

Chrisd said:
no more hype then their canada counterparts get, or russia for that matter.
i can't remember the last Russian or Canadian d-man in their draft year anyone was going on about as being the pre-eminent d-man at the WJC.Hey,it's from Robbie Schremp,not exactly David Conte or anything.It's his job to build up his teamates.let's not go overboard until we see how the guy does this tourney.My guess is that there will be defensemen(maybe several) who will outplay the kid this year.Now,next year will be a different story.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
bchockey said:
What do you guys think of Robbie Schremp saying that EJ is their best D, even better than Jack Johnson? The two of them are paired up. I believe that this could be a true statement as both EJ and JJ are the two best D in the tournament in my opinion. Also I believe that EJ had 2 goals in USA's 5-1 victiry over Norway in their exhibition game. Also Erik may have the possibility to go pro next year, right out of NTDP what do people think about this?

Any point being made that starts with Robbie Schremp says ....

Will need to be taking with a grain of salt .. This is like take Sean Avery or Jeremy Roenick at their word at face value ..

Eric Johnson is good .. but Eric is not Jack Johnson good ..

X-SHARKIE

Eric Johnson gave a lackluster performance in Wisconsin a few weeks ago, and I want to see more before I give him all the hype he is receiving.

Aside from a big shot from the point, he's nothing special offensively.

He's already a grown man, tremendous size, and has skill and is very physical and agressive.

But at this point I would still take Jack Johnson over him any day.

X-SHARKIE

bchockey said:

A few things, Eric doesn't jump out at me as a smart player. He turned the puck over twice right in front of his own goalie against the Badgers.

He also sat there square in front of Palmer when no opposition was around and tried to glove the puck out of mid air on a point shot, and he tipped it in his own net.

He also gets careless with the puck at times.

IMO, if he simplifies his game and works his tail off at the WJC's, he could really catch alot of attention, because his upside is tremendous.

But to say he's all those things you're hyping him to be, makes me wonder if you're not his long lost brother or something.

More offensive ability then Progner? Wow. Now we are getting out of hand.

Don't tell me his outlet decisions are better then Lidstrom now.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
Sharkie, I have seen that U-18 team play several times and I can tell you that was Johnson's only bad game of the season. Every other time I have seen him he has been outstanding. You can't tag him for all that because of one game against the best team in the nation. I think he will show some people when this WJC gets going. That Wisconsin game was not a good evaluation of him, he wasn't at his best, thats all.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
I saw both of them play against Sweden and I would love to have Jack Johnson... He played better than Eric during the game I saw.... JJ has a mean streak and brings the puck out of his zone very nicely

Misos Milakos*

bchockey said:
He is suppose to be pronger with more offensive ability and a smarter player.

A more offensive and smarter version of Chris Pronger vs Phil Kessell. Gee, I wonder who I would take there. Give me a player who has potential to be the next Chris Pronger, and I'm still taking him over Phil Kessell, nevermind the next better version of Chris Pronger. If that was really the case, I'm wondering why he isn't the consensus number 1 for this years draft.

X-SHARKIE

Pipeandin said:
Sharkie, I have seen that U-18 team play several times and I can tell you that was Johnson's only bad game of the season. Every other time I have seen him he has been outstanding. You can't tag him for all that because of one game against the best team in the nation. I think he will show some people when this WJC gets going. That Wisconsin game was not a good evaluation of him, he wasn't at his best, thats all.

Yeah that's what I thought was likely the case, because at that game there was a lot of untapped upside being shown and little maturity.

That's why i'm not saying he isn't a top 5 pick, but saying he's the next Chris Progner with more offensive upside (so is he going to have 70 point seasons?) is a big stretch.

I'm arms wide open if he shows me the offensive upside that people keep talking about at the WJC's, and if he minimizes his turn overs. His defensive game was impressive vs. Wisconsin and he layed out two Badgers with awe inspiring open ice hits.

But from what i've seen of him, the hype is a bit exagerated, but i'm all eyes and ears, because one live viewing isn't a lot ot go by. Like I said, i've only seen him live once, so this tournament will show me what he's really like.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
X-SHARKIE said:
But from what i've seen of him, the hype is a bit exagerated, but i'm all eyes and ears, because one live viewing isn't a lot ot go by. Like I said, i've only seen him live once, so this tournament will show me what he's really like.

X-Sharkie: I was at that Badger game and although I saw some of the same upside I've seen from E. Johnson in the past, I have yet to see anything that puts him in the running for the top overall pick. That kind of talk is just crazy at this point in time. He might prove me wrong as the draft year progresses but there's just nothing to base that on at this point in time. Kessel and Toews are on a different level from everyone else right now.

Pipeandin: I don't discount what you're saying. I just have yet to see it. E. Johnson's offensive game needs development IMHO before he can be hyped as much as some are hyping him. If the draft were today, I'd have a hard time not taking Sweden's Backstrom over E. Johnson. Backstrom's a guy who could really climb my draft board this year. We'll see. Here's hoping E. Johnson makes me look bad at the WJC's!

X-SHARKIE

Chief said:
X-Sharkie: I was at that Badger game and although I saw some of the same upside I've seen from E. Johnson in the past, I have yet to see anything that puts him in the running for the top overall pick. That kind of talk is just crazy at this point in time. He might prove me wrong as the draft year progresses but there's just nothing to base that on at this point in time. Kessel and Toews are on a different level from everyone else right now.

Pipeandin: I don't discount what you're saying. I just have yet to see it. E. Johnson's offensive game needs development IMHO before he can be hyped as much as some are hyping him. If the draft were today, I'd have a hard time not taking Sweden's Backstrom over E. Johnson. Backstrom's a guy who could really climb my draft board this year. We'll see. Here's hoping E. Johnson makes me look bad at the WJC's!

Thank you! Someone agrees with me. I know it's hard to stand pat and say he's not in the same league as Toews and Kessel with all the recent hype train (mainly Redline) but from what i've seen he's just not with those two yet.

He is in the second tier though with Staal,Mueller,Sheppard, and Backstrom for sure.

I'm with Chief, untill he shows me at the WJC's, i'm going to say he's not worth a top 2 pick.... but i'm all eyes and ears.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think Erik Johnson will be the best defenseman in this tournament, but he could very well end up the best player in the future. He's a virtual lock to be the first defenseman chosen in the draft, is a highly probable top three pick, and possesses all the facets to his game that you would want in a top-flight prospect: skating, size, shot, passing, physicality, you name it. The Pronger comparisons aren't far off, although Johnson has a lot to live up to to reach that level. Similar style though. I think he'll open alot of eyes in this tournament, especially being paired with a guy like Jack Johnson. I don't think the U.S. has ever had a defensive pairing this good.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
Rabid Ranger I think you're right. He will show some people in this tournament. Although I don't think he will need to use his offensive ability as much because of how star studded the US forwards are. I don't think he will be the best D in this tournament. He will be good though. Guys like Jack Johnson, Barker, and Smid will be the top guys.

espo*

I'm sure he'll show his talent here.Everyones(mostly everyones) point (and yours too) is that it is expecting a lot for a draft eligible age d-man to come in and be THE dominant d-man at the tourney.I can't remember the last time(if ever) that happened.

X-SHARKIE

cyclops said:
I'm sure he'll show his talent here.Everyones(mostly everyones) point (and yours too) is that it is expecting a lot for a draft eligible age d-man to come in and be THE dominant d-man at the tourney.I can't remember the last time(if ever) that happened.

Honestly, the most dominating defenseman in his draft year i've seen at the WJC's was Joni Pitkanen.

Rabid is right, he may have the most potential of any D-Man here, but he won't be the best at the tourney likely.

BTW, he will have his numbers boosted if he plays with Jack Johnson, it's a great way to keep the hype train rolling playing with that stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad