Confirmed with Link: Erik Gustafsson and a 1st Rounder (Bostons) for Rasmus Sandin.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Here's a thought. Do any of you believe Orlov might return due to Ovy factor and bond with many Cap's players and if he might drop the term? I really believe he wants the retirement contract and cash in while he can, however I won't rule it out entirely.

Sorry, please move my previous post to Caps's Roster thread.
Think chances for an Orlov return are between slim and none.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Why, who do you think is gonna give him 8 years?

He may not get 8, however I can see him getting 6 with a playoff team desperately needing defense and experience. Of course we all know of his attributes which are great options. Too bad he couldn't take a Jensen term deal lol. Hard to say right now until after the draft or during when teams are dealing again and shedding salaries for upgrades. Additionally, location is a factor too. It's unfortunate many seem to hate Edmonton and Winnipeg.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Wild trade.

Edmundson would have done more for a playoff run, Sandin could be a long-term decent player, but is he worth a first rounder anymore?

Leaf fan here, this is a really good trade for you guys. Sandin has done well shredding lower competition, is only 22 and he will likely be a top 3-4 guy. His only downside is that he isn't the fastest skater and he gets outmuscled at times, but he's got good IQ to make up for it.

To be honest I have no idea why Dubas did this.
Dubas needed to rebuild some 1st round pick capital.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
As a Leaf fan this one stings a bit. Sandin can become a real player in the league if he gets the right fit/opportunity. Like many young players, confidence is key. It's not really that he lacked that, but more so was not given the leash to make the confident plays that got him to the NHL. He needs more touches of the puck, and the freedom to learn from his mistakes at the NHL level. He just was not getting that with us unfortunately.

Offensively you will see some really elite playmaking/vision, but his defensive side of his game could use some work. Particularly against the forecheck, and when playing against top players. He is going to make mistakes that end up in the back of your net. No question. But I genuinely feel like he is slowly going to figure that aspect of his game out in time. You just cannot teach his ability to read the play offensively.

I genuinely think we are going to regret this move down the line. As many of you guys have already noted, with where that 1st rounder is likely to be selecting, you'd be lucky to get a player of Sandin's caliber. Unfortunately his stock would have just continued to plummet in our organization with the most recent acquisition of Jake McCabe. As much as I love Sandin, He's just not ahead of Rielly, Gio, and now McCabe on that left side.

It will be hard to see the sandman in Red, but I'll still be rooting for him silently. You guys got 1 hell of a player. He will be sorely missed by Leafs nation

Reactions: DWGie26

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Seeing the comments about Gustafsson on the main boards trade thread from Leafs fans as well as Black Hawks and Canadiens, all dumping on Gus. Not the same player that we experienced this season. Which demonstrates that how a player is used, the system that they're used in plays a significant role in their performance. We only have to look at Orlov's performance in Boston to confirm this.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
After first game it is like @Twine Tickler said. He looked amazing offensively and on the PP but defense needs some work. I’ll take that upside. Looking forward to see how he progresses. The Gus signing got us value through the season and in trade. Good moves by GMBM.

Reactions: YippieKaey

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Right now all of Boston wants him signed. Talking of trading big parts of the team (from the last 4 years) to do it too. He just fits too well in black and gold. Everyone is salivating.
Think of a Colton Parayko type contract.

From everything that we've heard, Caps management was not balking about the salary but rather the length of the contract.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Of course, just because Sandin doesn’t consistently go up against top-tier opponents, doesn’t mean he never has. In fact, over the last three seasons, according to PuckIQ, Sandin has played almost 400 minutes against “elite competition” - not a ton, but it’s still a decent sample size. This is how his stats look when he’s up against those tougher players compared to his teammates who’ve played at least 200 minutes against elite competition.

Note: RC = relative and DFF = Dangerous Fenwick

• 50.58CF% - third (first among defensemen)
  • +1.81CF%RC - sixth (second among defensemen)
  • 52.8DFF% - ninth (third among defensemen)
  • +0.87DFF%RC - ninth (third among defensemen)
Those numbers are really strong for a young defensemen that’s playing against top opponents from the age of 20-22. What’s even more impressive is it looks like he’s getting better and better. These are the same stats but just from this season.

• 50.90CF% - first (first among defensemen)
  • +4.40CF%RC - first (first among defensemen)
  • 56.5%DFF% - second (first among defensemen)
  • +4.30DFF%RC - second (first among defensemen)
And among all defensemen in the league this season who’ve played at least 200 minutes against elite competition this is how he ranks:

• 50.90CF% (30th)
  • +4.40CF%RC (25th)
  • 53.9DFF% (18th)
  • +4.30DFF%RC (32nd)
Again, that’s really strong and it’s a good sign that he seems to be getting better and better as he ages.

Nice little tidbit about how Sandin fares against top-end players in the league. I think it’s why even though his competition has been somewhat soft in general, the models have him pegged as a top-end player.

They’ve got a good one folks.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
whole lot of praise and fancy stats and predictions on potentially being a strong 2nd pair dman; very little to the contrary, let's hope so

great that he'll be getting plenty of min.s the rest of RS, hope that translates to 2023-24 having a decent Top 4 of JC, Jensen, Fever, Sandin...
and better yet, hopefully this summer they get a stud who will help to keep from forcing big minutes/assignments ahead of time

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Per the Hockey News today.

Gustafsson's usage, in particular, can often leave him feeling like something of a passenger on some nights, with no defined role on this team outside of running point on the second power-play unit. This isn't a useless hockey player, either.

Gustafsson has a 60-point season under his belt as a defenseman. He scored a hat trick against the Maple Leafs this very season. And while he's certainly not responsible enough in his own end to contribute as a shutdown guy or penalty killer, the Swede's 38 points in 61 games as Washington's top power-play quarterback logging upwards of 20 minutes per night seems wasted now that he's a bottom-pair hanger-on who barely logs 14.

Why trade a 22-year-old homegrown prospect for Gustafsson when the prospect basically served the exact same purpose? It's hard to imagine there wasn't more at play here from the front office than simply stockpiling veteran depth. But with the 11-7 arrangement, Gustafsson is either treading water or watching from above.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Per the Hockey News today.

Gustafsson's usage, in particular, can often leave him feeling like something of a passenger on some nights, with no defined role on this team outside of running point on the second power-play unit. This isn't a useless hockey player, either.

Gustafsson has a 60-point season under his belt as a defenseman. He scored a hat trick against the Maple Leafs this very season. And while he's certainly not responsible enough in his own end to contribute as a shutdown guy or penalty killer, the Swede's 38 points in 61 games as Washington's top power-play quarterback logging upwards of 20 minutes per night seems wasted now that he's a bottom-pair hanger-on who barely logs 14.

Why trade a 22-year-old homegrown prospect for Gustafsson when the prospect basically served the exact same purpose? It's hard to imagine there wasn't more at play here from the front office than simply stockpiling veteran depth. But with the 11-7 arrangement, Gustafsson is either treading water or watching from above.
Wouldn’t be stunned if Gustafson was back next year to be honest. He said he liked it here and wanted to stay and he performed pretty significantly above expectations.

Reactions: Calicaps

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
"...Swede's 38 points in 61 games as Washington's top power-play quarterback logging upwards of 20 minutes per night..."

Yeah, that's not very accurate... Raises questions to me about the validity of opinions when one can't even get the facts right.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
"...Swede's 38 points in 61 games as Washington's top power-play quarterback logging upwards of 20 minutes per night..."

Yeah, that's not very accurate... Raises questions to me about the validity of opinions when one can't even get the facts right.
Which part? After JC74 went down……well…..

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Which part? After JC74 went down……well…..

The "61 games" part. By my manual count it was 26 games between JC getting injure and the trade. He had a lot of points in those games, no doubt, but it's not accurate to say that he was the PPQB for 61.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad