Injury Report: Erik Gudbranson to undergo shoulder surgery.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Important to remember in all this “oh man, why did management extend Gudbranson when they knew Gudbranson was injured and this and that” business:
Gudbranson f***ing sucks.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Question... Why firmly?

I can understand that the spectrum of opinions on Benning is vast and obviously there are supporters.

But firmly? What do you see or believe in him to be that staunch of a supporter?

Real question... not looking to start anything.

Well I think that Benning has steadily improved on his job - I was quite fine with the contracts that he handed out this off season which showed me he has learned from past mistakes. At this point of our tenure the absolute most important thing we can concentrate on is the draft = and despite what the Haters will say I tend to think overall he's done a pretty good job for us. Demko, Boeser, EP are all going to be very, very good players for us and we have a handful of others that should turn out to be pretty serviceable. (YEs I hear the cries of "But what about Nylander?" "We passed on Tkachuk" - I still think JV and OJ are going to be pretty serviceable players for our team). If he can ace this years draft like he did last year then I can live with some other challenges. So yeah - my sentiments are based mostly on the faith that he can get things done on draft day.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Well I think that Benning has steadily improved on his job - I was quite fine with the contracts that he handed out this off season which showed me he has learned from past mistakes. At this point of our tenure the absolute most important thing we can concentrate on is the draft = and despite what the Haters will say I tend to think overall he's done a pretty good job for us. Demko, Boeser, EP are all going to be very, very good players for us and we have a handful of others that should turn out to be pretty serviceable. (YEs I hear the cries of "But what about Nylander?" "We passed on Tkachuk" - I still think JV and OJ are going to be pretty serviceable players for our team). If he can ace this years draft like he did last year then I can live with some other challenges. So yeah - my sentiments are based mostly on the faith that he can get things done on draft day.
Can I interest in my new bitcoin mining effort.....its based mostly on faith.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
What's our highest leverage point with Benning as a GM? The draft :help:

If he can ace this draft like he did last years we will be ok..........YEs I can hear the cries of "but what about OJ and JV?"
If we can come out of this draft with another superstar and 1-2 more very serviceable players we should be good.

Demko
Boeser
Gaudette
Juloelevi
Petterson
Lind

Some very solid prospects - add 2 more to that list and we should be ok. Would love to see them trade Tanev here though to add another few picks.

Reactions: timbermen

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't have a huge issue with the GB contract - I'm not as down on him as the rest of the peanut gallery here is.
Down on him? His contract is another example of Benning paying the guy based what he think he should be rather what he is.
If you say he learned from his mistake, this is Sbisa 2.0 but worse in every imaginable way.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Refresh my memory....but didn't Jimbo offer Gudbranson back to the Panthers even-up for Jason Demers, who had a NTC and turned them down?....and then subsequently accepted a trade to Arizona?...oh the indignity of it all.....I suppose though that Guddy's contract has no trade protection, so there's still a chance they could deal him...... but would likely have to take salary back or accept another bad contract now.

Reactions: timw33

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What's our highest leverage point with Benning as a GM? The draft :help:

If he can ace this draft like he did last years we will be ok..........YEs I can hear the cries of "but what about OJ and JV?"
If we can come out of this draft with another superstar and 1-2 more very serviceable players we should be good.

Demko
Boeser
Gaudette
Juloelevi
Petterson
Lind

Some very solid prospects - add 2 more to that list and we should be ok. Would love to see them trade Tanev here though to add another few picks.
Would you consider Makar acing the draft? Or is it because Jim failed to move up and was forced to take the scouts' guy take Pettersson.

I just don't understand how people continually overlook what Benning tried to do, his vision, and failed at. The failures result in better results than if he'd succeeded in his plans. "He drafted Boeser", he tried to trade that pick for one year of Lucic, even though he knew/believed Boeser would be available at that point in the draft.

He tried to move the 2016 5th overall too.

He's rebuilding through the draft because failed in his attempts to trade away his 1sts.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I really can't wrap my head around the idea of believing that the draft is the exclusively most crucial element of this team's rebuilding process, but also believing that the guy who is not acquiring additional draft picks is doing a good job and following a good plan.
He could still trade up like last year.Traded a 4th for a lower 4th and 5th,ended up with Petrus Palmu who's ripping it up in the Finnish Liga.A quietly ingenius move.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He could still trade up like last year.Traded a 4th for a lower 4th and 5th,ended up with Petrus Palmu who's ripping it up in the Finnish Liga.A quietly ingenius move.

So he could trade down (that is trading down, not up) to get back to the base number of picks that the league gives them by default.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Would you consider Makar acing the draft? Or is it because Jim failed to move up and was forced to take the scouts' guy take Pettersson.

I just don't understand how people continually overlook what Benning tried to do, his vision, and failed at. The failures result in better results than if he'd succeeded in his plans. "He drafted Boeser", he tried to trade that pick for one year of Lucic, even though he knew/believed Boeser would be available at that point in the draft.

He tried to move the 2016 5th overall too.

He's rebuilding through the draft because failed in his attempts to trade away his 1sts.

See - your post is a prime example of the issues that I have with the Haters. They always find excuses to discredit any of the good that Benning has done and give him ZERO credit for anything. The fact of the matter is that he did take EP - regardless of what you think that he tried to do (and how are you soo sure of this and other rumours?). Additionally how do you know he tried to trade the Boeser pick? That's all conjecture and once again another attempt by the Haters to discredit Benning - so yeah very difficult to take anything you guys say seriously.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
See - your post is a prime example of the issues that I have with the Haters. They always find excuses to discredit any of the good that Benning has done and give him ZERO credit for anything. The fact of the matter is that he did take EP - regardless of what you think that he tried to do (and how are you soo sure of this and other rumours?). Additionally how do you know he tried to trade the Boeser pick? That's all conjecture and once again another attempt by the Haters to discredit Benning - so yeah very difficult to take anything you guys say seriously.
Haters, lol. We don’t discredit the good, there isn’t enough good to counter the bad. Every good move he makes there are like 5 bad moves. The ratio is probably worse.

Let’s flip this around, how does drafting EP make keeping Gubranson better? It doesn’t!!!!!

Reactions: geebaan

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
And his record makes taking anything the Benning Lovers say beyond difficult.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Drafting Pettersson has NOTHING to do with reupping Gudbranson to a new deal being a bad decision. Gudbranson has a wonky shoulder, and there's a large sample size of him just not being a good dman going back to when he first entered the NHL. He doesn't score goals, generate offensive chances or stop the other team from getting chances when he's on the ice.

If this is the kind of argument you come here to make, it's really no wonder you keep getting creamed. Defending signing a bad, injury-prone dman by going: "But Pettersson!!1!" is a poor argument, plain and simple. One thing simply doesn't have anything to do with the other. And if you want to get into Benning's drafting (don't know why you'd want to in a thread about Gudbranson's shoulder surgery, but anyway...), the sad truth is that after four years of his master drafting, this team is *still* going to finish the season with more Gillis picks having played on it than Benning picks. You want to list names, fine. It's exactly what Benning's fans have been doing for a couple of seasons now, only the names have changed. Here's the bad news: some of Juolevi, Gadjovic, Lind, Gaudettte, Demko, Pettersson, Brisebois, etc etc etc will bust. Some of our awesome awesome prospect pool will *never* see NHL ice. Am I being negative because I don't like Benning? No. I'm saying that because that is literally what has always happened to every prospect pool on every team since the NHL was formed. The vast majority of NHL draft picks never play in the NHL. Period. That's not an opinion or a belief or a feeling. That's history. EVERY prospect pool undergoes attrition. This one will be no different. You or anyone else penciling Pettersson or Lind into next year's lineup is no different than people who were going: "Well, Hodgson, Schroeder and Gaunce...that's not bad down the middle, I see Sauve as more of a 2nd, 3rd pairing guy...this Prab Rai kid could be a good dark horse pick..." five years ago.

You can call me a hater because I think something that has always happened in the past will happen again if you like. All you're doing is showing why you get owned in debates when you come here.

And try not to think too hard about the fact that Benning couldn't even fit Boeser's contract bonuses under the cap this season. You might question how he'll fit in the contracts of any of the guys who do actually work out.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh, and VanJag? In case you were wondering why we weren't discussing Benning's overall performance or how wonderful it is he drafted Pettersson, the thread title is actually: Injury Report - Erik Gudbranson to undergo shoulder surgery. That means you should expect the primary topic of discussion in this thread to be about Gudbranson's surgery. FYI.

:teach:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I have discovered a new way to mine Bitcoins...just send me $9,999 so I can set you up.

Oh, I also have some stuff in my garage that will likely be worth something in the future....again, only $9,999
Yeah right pal. YAWN :shakehead

Reactions: vancityluongo

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
See - your post is a prime example of the issues that I have with the Haters. They always find excuses to discredit any of the good that Benning has done and give him ZERO credit for anything. The fact of the matter is that he did take EP - regardless of what you think that he tried to do (and how are you soo sure of this and other rumours?).

Because Benning said so. Are Benningites are so determined to discount anything bad about Benning they even discount his own words.....

“We have some interest depending on what we’d have to give up to do it,” Benning said of a pick flip. “It seems like the closer you get to the draft, the more value organizations put on those picks. We’re going to continue to talk to teams ahead of us, but so far there has been nothing that makes sense from our perspective to move up or trade for the (third) pick outright."

So yep he tried.

Additionally how do you know he tried to trade the Boeser pick?

He was competing against LA's offer 13th overall, Jones and Miller. You can bet pick #23 (aka the Boeser pick) was on the table. If it was the 2015 1st it would have been the 2016 1st pick (5th overall), again it'd be the 2015. What else did he have that could match that besides Horvat?

That's's all conjecture and once again another attempt by the Haters to discredit Benning - so yeah very difficult to take anything you guys say seriously.

Guessing the Lucic trade contained a 1st is easy. Moving up in 2017, Benning's own words confirm he tried.

As for trading the 2016 5th overall pick for a veteran Dman, that was reported by elliote friedman, who confirmed it with the Canucks themselves before reporting it.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I was thinking about this extension this weekend. For some reason I thought that if a player is injured and you sign them to a contract (A la Horton), you cannot insure the contract. Which is no big deal unless he ends up with something career threatening, but it'd be impossible to move that contract if it did happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad