Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole & cond. 3rd ('15) for 2nd ('15) + Mattias Backman + Mattias Janmark

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
None of the kids he's referring to were traded. :laugh:

Mike Babcock:
“There’s a kid named Mattias Backman… He’ll step in and play on our team next year. He can really skate, really move the puck.â€

Okay, lets trade him then... :facepalm:

I get he's down on the depth chart now, but damn, trade him for a 36+ y/o rental that likely won't increase our playoff chances?

What a waste.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I get he's down on the depth chart now, but damn, trade him for a 36+ y/o rental that likely won't increase our playoff chances?

What a waste.
A couple of months can make a huge difference in the world of prospects. Babcock assumed Backman would stay in the AHL all year and develop. Instead he gave up and returned home. Meanwhile, Marchenko, XO and Jensen were nothing but impressive. 1+1 equals Backman's gone.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where did you get that quote? I don't see it in the article linked.

He said that awhile ago. Then Backman had a fit about not playing enough in the AHL and went to Sweden and the Wings gave up on him.

Basically if you're a Wings prospect and you want to get traded, just threaten to go home to Sweden and you're gone by the deadline.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He said that awhile ago. Then Backman had a fit about not playing enough in the AHL and went to Sweden and the Wings gave up on him.

Basically if you're a Wings prospect and you want to get traded, just threaten to go home to Sweden and you're gone by the deadline.

Babcock said those comments back in May, that was after Backman had a good playoff performance for the Griffins. Backman would have played a lot more this season if he was committed to getting better. He wasn't. The Red Wings don't want those types of players.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Does Been not realize the telephone was invented?

Okay, I'm glad to see I'm not crazy/alone in thinking this is a weak as hell apology. If Benn had any inclination, he could suck it up and find Z's phone number and make a call. Let's just say some on another site have no problems as long as it's an "honest" apology. Whatever that means.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada

What a waste.

Do you not recall Kindl's first camp when many quotes were made about him making the team and being the last sent down. Things change.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Poor Mitch Callahan and Landon Ferraro, guess they should still find a way to threaten to go to Sweden.:laugh:

Honestly Backman had a huge cheerleader in Babcock. He either read the clippings or I don't know what but he deserved what he got this year. He wasn't very good, hopefully he got his wakeup call and helps Jim Nill in the future.

Jim Nill probably won't be fired, but his honeymoon phase is going to be in big trouble if their D is that awful again next year. He lacks the two way forwards to make up for the sorry group he has put together too. Lots to fix in Dallas.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Honestly Backman had a huge cheerleader in Babcock. He either read the clippings or I don't know what but he deserved what he got this year. He wasn't very good, hopefully he got his wakeup call and helps Jim Nill in the future.

Should he have stayed here, rotting on the Griffins bench instead? Didn't seem to have much to hope for this year, considering the competition he faced.
So, I'm still feeling him to go back for the benefit of playing. And hopefully that trade gives him another opportunity on a rebuilt Stars team. Even if the chances are slim right now.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Jim Nill probably won't be fired, but his honeymoon phase is going to be in big trouble if their D is that awful again next year. He lacks the two way forwards to make up for the sorry group he has put together too. Lots to fix in Dallas.

People forget Dallas has a long list of defensive prospects as well. Backman is jammed in that group and won't stand much better chance of seeing NHL ice. Without looking it up, I'd say Backman is like... 8? 9? Maybe less on their depth list. Kid has some work to do. This isn't like Jarnkok going to Nashville.

And this is a bit off topic, but if I'm Nill, I have no idea who you sell anymore. All the expendable assets are gone in the Spezza and Seguin trade. So you're left with a bunch of guys that nobody really wants or that you need to stay afloat.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

What a waste.

Cole is still very good player; fringe/serviceable top six and/or excellent third liner.

You're being ridiculous about both trades, man...

Honestly, if Cole plays well, I see KH signing him again.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hm, 70s seem weird. Has it been a long time since Wings have had a number in the 70s, or is it just me?

His number from Juniors, apparently. Know he used to wear 26, but Jurco has it for Detroit.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
People forget Dallas has a long list of defensive prospects as well. Backman is jammed in that group and won't stand much better chance of seeing NHL ice. Without looking it up, I'd say Backman is like... 8? 9? Maybe less on their depth list. Kid has some work to do. This isn't like Jarnkok going to Nashville.

And this is a bit off topic, but if I'm Nill, I have no idea who you sell anymore. All the expendable assets are gone in the Spezza and Seguin trade. So you're left with a bunch of guys that nobody really wants or that you need to stay afloat.

I think Dallas will be aces in a couple seasons.

Great core of forwards.

Seguin - 22 yrs old
Spezza - 31 and still playing great hockey
Ja. Benn - 25

Pesky depth that can contribute

Garbutt
Roussel
Daley
Eakin

Klingberg is probably overachieving, but he might be a very good player for years to come. It's just Goligoski is awful IMO and he's playing too many minutes and too big of a role for them. I think their D and goaltending is very fixable in reasonable time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad