Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole & cond. 3rd ('15) for 2nd ('15) + Mattias Backman + Mattias Janmark

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Cole seems to be a great net-front guy, good at deflecting pucks. Physical player too, 116 hits in 57 games.

Exactly. Cole is something we didn't really have. He's far more physical and better at going to the net than any of our other forwards. Even Abdelkader doesn't crash and bang as much. We have plenty of small skilled guys so he may fit in very well and could play on any line.

I was a little shocked when I first saw the deal but if Backman and Janmark didn't appear to have a future in managements eyes then it makes a lot of sense.

Does anyone know if management actually asked Janmark to say in North America last year? Or was it the plan that he just got a taste before heading back to Sweden? Either way, it looks like a nice move by Nill. He knows what he's getting.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Because we have Jurco not producing squat, we get manhandled by any physical team, and we have injuries to Helm/Franzen. Anything which makes us harder to paly against is good.

I dont mind it. At the end of the day, our prospect pool is so full, we can let a few go.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Holland said they got pushed around by BOston too much last year so they wanted to add a big, gritty guy. Although Mule is soft hes still a big body and not having him would hurt in the playoffs.

Holland wanted some size and grit to get in on the forecheck and not get pushed around so he went and got some cheap. Detroits top 6 would be all under 6 feet pretty much without adding him

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Holland said they got pushed around by BOston too much last year so they wanted to add a big, gritty guy. Although Mule is soft hes still a big body and not having him would hurt in the playoffs.

Holland wanted some size and grit to get in on the forecheck and not get pushed around so he went and got some cheap. Detroits top 6 would be all under 6 feet pretty much without adding him

Abdelkader?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Abdelkader?

Thats why I said pretty much. Hes the only one right now. Z, Pav, Nyquist, Tatar, and Abdelkader. I wouldnt be happy with only Abby going into the playoffs being able to play big and rough. Cole adds another guy that can do that and will likely score 25ish goals this year

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Thats why I said pretty much. Hes the only one right now. Z, Pav, Nyquist, Tatar, and Abdelkader. I wouldnt be happy with only Abby going into the playoffs being able to play big and rough. Cole adds another guy that can do that and will likely score 25ish goals this year

I agree. Also when Helm comes back you could move Nyqvist to the 3rd line to give him some easier matchups. Although you'd have to split up Helm, D, Tatar line.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 2m2 minutes ago
Erik Cole will wear No. 72 in Detroit. He'll be first #RedWings player to don that number since Motor City Smitty (Brad Smith) in 1984-85.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
In retrospect, this is a deal that really just has the short term in mind. Or I hope. Because otherwise, it would remind me of moves like the resigning of Samuelsson and Cleary, which turned the Red Wings into a retirement home.

Cole has size, but it isn't frequent that older players stay very physical. However, if you are talking short term, then he should be able to help in certain ways.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Think of that depth.

That might actually be too much depth.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Cole-Datsyuk-Tatar
Abdelkader-Sheahan-Weiss
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Pulkkinen and Jurco back down for a big Calder Cup push. Helm gets a smaller role, but one he plays so very well in the playoffs. and it would truly allow the Wings to play the matchup game.

I don't like these lines at all. FZN line doesn't work, and Helm plays well with Datsyuk.

Although we might see something like this because Babs.

Darkhawk07

Apr 11, 2011
Livonia, Mi
Don't know a whole lot about Cole so I was looking up a few youtube highlight vids of him and stumbled across one kind of amusing one.
I like his style.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Most of the people on here vastly overvalue Janmark and Backman. Because of other prospects taking a roster spot over the last year or so these guys had ZERO chance of making the roster. This deal is good for them and good for the Wings because the they got some return for assets that were never going to be used. The only debate is if the draft pick swap was worth it for a legitimate 3rd line forward. IMO it was.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
3zuXHXO.jpg

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Also, I would feel okay with the trade IF the team was healthy, now it feels like No Franzen, Helm for a while and adding Cole is like plus-minus zero.. it doesn't improve the team, you can only hope some of the injured players gets back, because it's all about scoring depth...

At the moment the team isn't better than yesterday.
It's very difficult to argue that Cole does not make the team better. Missing Franzen and Helm made trading for him even more valuable. And even if both came back in time for the playoff, Cole would still bring a physical element to this team, which seemed to be lacking during last year's playoffs.

The price seems to be quite cheap: Unless the Red Wings play in the ECF, they are swapping their 2nd round pick with Dallas' 3rd round one - basically trading 15 spots down. Giving up Bäckman and Janmark stings a little, since both are doing well in Sweden, but each player would have to leapfrog several other prospects to earn a spot on the NHL roster. Bäckman will only be waiver-exempt throughout next season, which makes it particular unlikely that he would have made an impact.

It is also doubtful that Holland might have had cheaper options: Karmanos' Hurricanes certainly would not have traded Tlusty preferably to the Red Wings. The Panthers also would have had a hard time shipping Bergenheim to a division rival and possible playoff opponent. And Sheppard, who was mentioned here as well, is less suited for upper line duties than Cole.

Gruß,
BSHH

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I'm excited. Can't wait to see him play with the winged wheel on his chest.

Same here.

I always disliked Cole when he played against the Wings. Not cause he was dirty or anything, but because he competed really hard and was big and fast, which caused problems for defenseman. I'm looking forward to having him do that for us now. Should be a real good addition.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad