Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole & cond. 3rd ('15) for 2nd ('15) + Mattias Backman + Mattias Janmark

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Should he have stayed here, rotting on the Griffins bench instead? Didn't seem to have much to hope for this year, considering the competition he faced.
So, I'm still feeling him to go back for the benefit of playing. And hopefully that trade gives him another opportunity on a rebuilt Stars team. Even if the chances are slim right now.

He can do right by him that is fine, the Wings will do the same in terms of doing what is right for the organization. He lost the competition to four guys all on a similar contract timeline. Him wanting to return is fine, but it was basically authorized with a pink slip from the organization.

I doubt Backman cares, that wasn't really the point we were addressing. The idea that Babcock thought he would be on the team evaporated early in camp. Then it was sledgehammered when Blashill determined he was the worst of the bunch and he couldn't play his way out of that decision. I watch a decent chunk of Griffins games, Backman deserved what he got for what he was bringing to the ice. Now maybe he was better in practice and really putting in a turn, unfortunately it doesn't really sound like it.

Wish him the best in the future. He is going to have to do a lot more than show up though if he wants to be a NHL player with the Stars as well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think Dallas will be aces in a couple seasons.

Maybe they will be, but you have no idea how many seasons I've heard that. Pretty much every year since 2002. They peaked in 2008 and haven't pulled it together since.

Nill will put them on the right path with their drafting and development, that I have no question. But they should be patient with him.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I believe Cole will help us. He goes hard to the net, is physical and has explosive acceleration. Big guy who can shoot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Maybe they will be, but you have no idea how many seasons I've heard that. Pretty much every year since 2002. They peaked in 2008 and haven't pulled it together since.

Nill will put them on the right path with their drafting and development, that I have no question. But they should be patient with him.

They will peak when those on average -92 born core pieces will peak.

G Campbell -92
D Klingberg -92
D Oleksiak -92
C Seguin -92
F Benn -89
W Nichuskin -95

Those guys will hit from 26 to 30 prime age at 2018-22. Still three years time to grow as a team.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
They will peak when those on average -92 born core pieces will peak.

G Campbell -92
D Klingberg -92
D Oleksiak -92
C Seguin -92
F Benn -89
W Nichuskin -95

Those guys will hit from 26 to 30 prime age at 2018-22. Still three years time to grow as a team.

campbell has ways to go to become a core piece. he's closer to a bust than that.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not a fan my biggest worry is his age and injury history. He is years outside of his prime and Holland doesn't really beleive in rental players so you know he is going to offer him a 3 or 4 year contract. Babcock likes Real Gud players on the top lines so this will just be another aging plug preventing Detroits prospects from making the roster until they are forced to be there by waiver rules. Potential Dan Cleary 2.0

Also another case of Holland blowing future assets on aging mediocrity. Wings are good at drafting and should be hanging on to these picks. Cole and Zids do not make this team contend. At best he is a depth player in the bottom 6 but that was a lot to pay for that. At worst he declines to awfulness on the top lines for years while the next Nyquist looks on from Grand Rapids..

campbell has ways to go to become a core piece. he's closer to a bust than that.

Yeah trying not to give up on him becasue he did huge potential but only shows it in breif periods. He has gotten better but not near where you would have thought he should be. Maybe he will be a late bloomer

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a fan my biggest worry is his age and injury history. He is years outside of his prime and Holland doesn't really beleive in rental players so you know he is going to offer him a 3 or 4 year contract. Babcock likes Real Gud players on the top lines so this will just be another aging plug preventing Detroits prospects from making the roster until they are forced to be there by waiver rules. Potential Dan Cleary 2.0

Also another case of Holland blowing future assets on aging mediocrity. Wings are good at drafting and should be hanging on to this picks. Cole and Zids do not make this team contend.

Erik Cole is not like Cleary, his career production is comparable to Franzen's.

Cole career goals/game = .30
Cole career points/game = .60

Franzen career goals/game = .31
Franzen career points/game = .62

Cole is another Franzen (healthy version hopefully), not another Cleary.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Erik Cole is not like Cleary, his career production is comparable to Franzen's.

Cole career goals/game = .30
Cole career points/game = .60

Franzen career goals/game = .31
Franzen career points/game = .62

Cole is another Franzen (healthy version hopefully), not another Cleary.

Exactly someone who is in an out of the line up with injuries and declining repidly as their career winds down. MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'll be upset if Holland offers Cole a contract. And anything more than 1 more year will inspire true rage. Unless he starts unloading people I guess. We have too many good forwards as it is.

Part of the reason I liked the trade was that it was a rental. He won't block anyone because he's not coming back.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'll be upset if Holland offers Cole a contract. And anything more than 1 more year will inspire true rage. Unless he starts unloading people I guess. We have too many good forwards as it is.

Part of the reason I liked the trade was that it was a rental. He won't block anyone because he's not coming back.

If the plan is to LTIR Franzen the rest of the way, could see Cole getting a 1 or 2 year deal.

They would say he fills a similar role with similar production. Plus he plays heavy.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If the plan is to LTIR Franzen the rest of the way, could see Cole getting a 1 or 2 year deal.

They would say he fills a similar role with similar production. Plus he plays heavy.

Long as Cole has his legs, and at this point he still does, he's always going to be a decent player.

Remember when Bertuzzi was our veteran 40 point guy? It's like that, except Cole is actually fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad