Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
D'Alessio 6'1 - 161 D (puck mover, maybe?)
Willis - D - couldn't find stats, but looks to be a big defender/enforcer type player

Radford 6'1 170 LW/C.
Wozney 6'3 175 C

Tamburro 6'2 165 G

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
D'Alessio 6'1 - 161 D (puck mover, maybe?)
Willis - D - couldn't find stats, but looks to be a big defender/enforcer type player

Radford 6'1 170 LW/C.
Wozney 6'3 175 C

Tamburro 6'2 165 G
I get wanting size but seems clear they are just avoiding smaller players, which seems like a bold strategy when kids grow at this age and usually the big kid who dominated because of his size, he is no longer the biggest player on the team over in the league.

Good thing Edwards got another chance due to WJC, or otherwise they probably would have discounted him because of his size

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I get wanting size but seems clear they are just avoiding smaller players, which seems like a bold strategy when kids grow at this age and usually the big kid who dominated because of his size, he is no longer the biggest player on the team over in the league.

Good thing Edwards got another chance due to WJC, or otherwise they probably would have discounted him because of his size

I think there needs to be a balance for sure. Edwards and Bressette proved to be valuable assets without having an NHL prototype build. Are they on the outskirts for moving into the highest of levels based on size, probably but I have to agree we went really small, quick, and agile heavy for a few years and it got us nowhere and it seems like we may be moving the pendulum too far back to compensate for the previous years.

Couple small flashy change of pace forwards are a great thing at this level IMO and the defenders don't all have to be freaks of nature in size.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think there needs to be a balance for sure. Edwards and Bressette proved to be valuable assets without having an NHL prototype build. Are they on the outskirts for moving into the highest of levels based on size, probably but I have to agree we went really small, quick, and agile heavy for a few years and it got us nowhere and it seems like we may be moving the pendulum too far back to compensate for the previous years.

Couple small flashy change of pace forwards are a great thing at this level IMO and the defenders don't all have to be freaks of nature in size.
Exactly this. Now I fear they are going too far the other way. How about we just pick the best players based on skill and potential, and being mindful of size so we don’t get too small again. Not a hard concept. But at this level, players are still growing and getting bigger so avoiding players under 6’0 seems kinda of clueless. It’s ok to take the occasional 5’10 player…

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018

Edwards also proved to other players who get cut after rookie camps or preseason that if they keep grinding, they could still make their junior team. Everyone dreads being sent down, but Edwards clearly proved that it’s not a death sentence. He deserves to be here and is a lock next year.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Edwards also proved to other players who get cut after rookie camps or preseason that if they keep grinding, they could still make their junior team. Everyone dreads being sent down, but Edwards clearly proved that it’s not a death sentence. He deserves to be here and is a lock next year.

My own personal opinion was he never should have been sent down as it appeared he would be in the same wheelhouse as Bressette and could contribute pretty well.

I think him being sent down further motivated him to keep going and ultimately led to his resurgence at the OHL level.

I believe he was cut based on his size and size alone. My opinion at the start was Edwards would be ahead of Toroptsev, Roysten, Hammond, Messier and McDonald. I would not have predicted, however, he could have been in consideration for top 6 minutes.

I think it further highlights NOA's point in that cutting based on size alone is a horrible idea and there are players who are sub 5'10 that can and will be game changers. They NEED to be on rosters to compliment the bigger ones and to completely shy away is foolish.

Reactions: NOA and OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
My own personal opinion was he never should have been sent down as it appeared he would be in the same wheelhouse as Bressette and could contribute pretty well.

I think him being sent down further motivated him to keep going and ultimately led to his resurgence at the OHL level.

I believe he was cut based on his size and size alone. My opinion at the start was Edwards would be ahead of Toroptsev, Roysten, Hammond, Messier and McDonald. I would not have predicted, however, he could have been in consideration for top 6 minutes.

I think it further highlights NOA's point in that cutting based on size alone is a horrible idea and there are players who are sub 5'10 that can and will be game changers. They NEED to be on rosters to compliment the bigger ones and to completely shy away is foolish.
Absolutely. I thought Messier would've been let go before Edwards. I think this season has proved that you need a mix of size. Obviously you need larger defensemen, but I think our forwards always dished out checks especially our smaller players. The smaller guys have more grit in my opinion. Look at DeBrincat. FA and a smaller player. Rare that he developed the way he did, but just one success story that size sometimes doesn’t matter.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Kayden Edwards was selected in the 11th round. He is Dylan’s brother.
Cool story. What a turnaround season for Dylan

Absolutely. I thought Messier would've been let go before Edwards. I think this season has proved that you need a mix of size. Obviously you need larger defensemen, but I think our forwards always dished out checks especially our smaller players. The smaller guys have more grit in my opinion. Look at DeBrincat. FA and a smaller player. Rare that he developed the way he did, but just one success story that size sometimes doesn’t matter.
Connor Brown, Max Golod, Kyle Maksimovich, the list goes on.

The problem is when you have a full roster of smaller players, which Erie was trending towards.. but it’s perfectly ok to have 3/4 forwards who are 5’10 or below, assuming the other players have some size.

Reactions: OttersFan

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
I’m assuming Michael Tamburro is the son of…Michael Tamburro, who was Butler’s goalie when Butler coached minor hockey (maybe junior hockey) back in the 90s.

Senior Tamburro was also a Battalion goalie coach back in the Brampton days.

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Outside of Schaefer, all the D are 6' and about 200 lbs or more.

I realize Sova isn't physical and neither is Daviault, but Henry, Sauder, and maybe Holomego fit that build.

I have never seen him play nor have I seen many writeups, but this seems like an odd pick at 25 unless he was the best available who will report, which has been known to happen.
OK, but other than Johnston (who’s gone), was there a D last year who would make a forward think twice about setting up in the slot, or winning a race to the corner? That’s more what I meant when I said size.

Henry sometimes, but that’s it. And who knows, Holomego and Sauder could do that but might not even be here next year.

I don’t know how Ambrosio plays but I’m hoping he’s going to be one of those guys.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Jameson Fabbro looks like a late round steal. 27pt in 36 games. 5’11” 154lbs

Maybe they’re listening to us and drafted a small guy for us. Lol

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
OK, but other than Johnston (who’s gone), was there a D last year who would make a forward think twice about setting up in the slot, or winning a race to the corner? That’s more what I meant when I said size.

Henry sometimes, but that’s it. And who knows, Holomego and Sauder could do that but might not even be here next year.

I don’t know how Ambrosio plays but I’m hoping he’s going to be one of those guys.

Definitely no one on the roster played with his physicality, either on offense or defense.

I had posted earlier I can't get a read on whether Ty is a puck moving defender or a stay at home one. He took on both roles at times.

I do agree we need some physicality in the back, but it took Morton 2 years before he got his tough guy going and I think it was built into Kulakov's DNA to be a fighter/tough guy.

Perhaps we reach out again in the import draft and find our tough guy now that Russian born players are eligible again?

I do see what you mean in that, not necessarily size, but overall toughness could be lacking.

Reactions: Guy In Burlington

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Jameson Fabbro looks like a late round steal. 27pt in 36 games. 5’11” 154lbs

Maybe they’re listening to us and drafted a small guy for us. Lol

I consider 5'9 - 5'-10 and shorter small. These kids will put on weight and likely another inch or two.

I think 5'11 - 6'1 in my mind is "normal" based on position. Defensively probably 6' and taller is acceptable though about 6'4. Anything above 6'4 is getting big.

Reactions: NOA

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Spence and Schaefer named to the Team Canada roster for the U18s later this month.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Isn’t it ironic that Jonathan Frattaroli has 0 stats online? I know it’s probably more common than it seems and there’s no reason to overthink it. I just wouldn’t put it past Dave Brown pulling a random player out of a hat.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Isn’t it ironic that Jonathan Frattaroli has 0 stats online? I know it’s probably more common than it seems and there’s no reason to overthink it. I just wouldn’t put it past Dave Brown pulling a random player out of a hat.
And Oliver Phillips is 8 foot 3...

I agree we need to get to a certain size, but man, seems all we draft for is size right now. Have to trust Stan I suppose, but will be cautiously optimistic about some of these kids.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
And Oliver Phillips is 8 foot 3...

I agree we need to get to a certain size, but man, seems all we draft for is size right now. Have to trust Stan I suppose, but will be cautiously optimistic about some of these kids.
I think we missed out on Jake Salvatore. I was convinced he would be an Otter. RW, 6’5” 181lbs from Niagara Falls Canada obviously. 34g 18a, 52pts. A local to us guy who could’ve easily been scouted. Instead we took Jack Clarke who had 30 pts.

I’m sure we didn’t have scouts actually attending u18 games since we barely have any.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I think we missed out on Jake Salvatore. I was convinced he would be an Otter. RW, 6’5” 181lbs from Niagara Falls Canada obviously. 34g 18a, 52pts. A local to us guy who could’ve easily been scouted. Instead we took Jack Clarke who had 30 pts.

I’m sure we didn’t have scouts actually attending u18 games since we barely have any.

Now that we have our group of young men, minus a second import, I've been struggling to figure out if they'd move Molnar to the Spence/Terrance line, drop him to the 3rd line, or try and trade him.

Couple of scenarios pop out at me:

1. Molnar moves to top line and we draft an import goalie but leaves lines 3 and 4 considerably weaker than 1 and 2.
2. Molnar could possibly sit on the 3rd line depending on how Stan sees a 3rd person for the Spence/Terrance line but would he do it...new import? Roysten? Would jump to the Spence/Terrance line.
3. Trade off Molnar for picks and a player

There is no doubt in my mind atm Stan keeps Spence/Terrance together and will at the very least keep Fimis, Edwards, and Alfano to start the season.

Does he have Roysten and Hammond stay together as well? I don't see Challenger jumping in with Spence/Terrance next season unless he's very special which means he will probably be, at best, a 3rd line player.

Defensively it is a lot more clear with Sova, Daviault, Schaefer, Henry, and Sauder clear favorites. Holomego and perhaps Knight round out the 7ish roster spots there unless someone jumps above Holomego, who I'm still not sold on.

I feel like for goalie we either need to trade for and 06 or look to the import draft as the only two viable options.

Like to hear others thoughts because in the timeline, next year is supposed to be "all in".

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
So next year, Fimis and Alfano are OA’s correct?

I’m just not sure if next year will be a go for it year… Or the next year after that…??

At any rate -I just hope the “go for it “ years are not an embarrassment… It’s a 50-50 toss up at this point what will happen in my opinion re that though ..

Instead of using even more pics, I think I would’ve taken and rolled the dice on like another Frasier or Burns type players for our goalie situation… They seemed to do pretty darn well and there’s gotta be a lot of them out there. That would have two years left to go.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
So next year, Fimis and Alfano are OA’s correct?

I’m just not sure if next year will be a go for it year… Or the next year after that…??

At any rate -I just hope the “go for it “ years are not an embarrassment… It’s a 50-50 toss up at this point what will happen in my opinion re that though ..

Instead of using even more pics, I think I would’ve taken and rolled the dice on like another Frasier or Burns type players for our goalie situation… They seemed to do pretty darn well and there’s gotta be a lot of them out there. That would have two years left to go.

Fimis, Alfano, Sova are likely the 3 they keep while trading/releasing Smith and McDonald.

Stan indicated he wanted a playoff birth (accomplished), assess, and decide on a run for this upcoming season. If not this season then you'd be looking a run with Spence/Schaefer instead of Spence/Sova/Terrance/Schaefer with the added bonuses of Fimis, Alfano, Edwards and some other players who are above average IMO. The major concern being goalie at this point.

Reactions: OttersFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad