Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Unless there’s an obviously better option at forward, I think they should go with a physical defenceman in the first round tonight. Apart from in net, which is not a problem they’re going to solve in tonight’s draft, their biggest immediate need is a defenceman to replace Johnston‘s toughness. I think, anyway.

I think the only guy on the current roster who can do that is Henry. But it can’t hurt to have another guy two years younger to do that job. You can find a 16-year-old to fill that role, Butler has had guys like Jay Harrison and Phil Oreskovic in the past.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Unless there’s an obviously better option at forward, I think they should go with a physical defenceman in the first round tonight. Apart from in net, which is not a problem they’re going to solve in tonight’s draft, their biggest immediate need is a defenceman to replace Johnston‘s toughness. I think, anyway.

I think the only guy on the current roster who can do that is Henry. But it can’t hurt to have another guy two years younger to do that job. You can find a 16-year-old to fill that role, Butler has had guys like Jay Harrison and Phil Oreskovic in the past.
Butler doesn't mind sandpaper players. He would relish the thought of drafting one or two.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013

Is there a defenseman worthy of the 10th pick in the draft that would report? I'd go forward at 10 and D at 25.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
The import draft doesn’t have to be a goalie, but how much can Erie spend for a solid goalie? We don’t have a ton of assets to give. I just predict an import would be a goalie. I have no info aside from just a guess.

Schaefer having someone to compliment him would be huge especially with Sova as an OA next year.

Maybe the find a goalie in the U18 draft? Someone older, more experience. We’ve had success there and clearly finding Fraser in an emergency worked in their favor.

I have really no scouting info other than a lot of our scouts quit at the beginning of the year. They were tired of DB.

We found Ben relatively cheap and he did a great job. I realize the OA situation doesn't warrant another OA, but giving up future consideration for a decent goalie seems reasonable.

As far as Schaefer, I think next season we will possibly see him and Sauder or him and Henry as linemates, at least to start. However I have yet to figure out if Henry is more of a stay at home or a puck mover. He showed flashes of both this season.

The "window" is basically this coming year and then a likely rebuild based on previous conversations from our management.

At that point they COULD think about moving Schaefer for a boat load of picks.

I think they go offense with the first round pick.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Butler doesn't mind sandpaper players. He would relish the thought of drafting one or two.

Stan has indicated he doesn't intend to be the HC long. That being said, it COULD potentially play a part of how the drafting goes if he doesn't see himself here in 2 years.

My personal belief is he's been grooming Ken Peroff to take over when he finally does step aside.

Reactions: bobber

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023

Keagan Knight isn't afraid to mix it up. I'd like to see what he can do this upcoming season.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Stan has indicated he doesn't intend to be the HC long. That being said, it COULD potentially play a part of how the drafting goes if he doesn't see himself here in 2 years.

My personal belief is he's been grooming Ken Peroff to take over when he finally does step aside.
Stan is a hell is a good junior coach IMO. He knows the game as well as anyone.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

They don’t have enough talent in their 2023 draft class to go defense again in round 1, especially after going defense 1st overall last year. 95% chance they go forward unless someone falls to them that they didn’t expect. Their projected forward group for 2025-26 is basically nothing outside of Spence/Edwards. They need talent there.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Stan is a hell is a good junior coach IMO. He knows the game asvwell as anyone.
Can't argue that. He took his first couple months to just observe, plan, and build...didn't really seem all that rushed to make an immediate impact.

This year, outside of February, it seemed like he had the team well tuned and if it was off slightly, he made the necessary adjustments. Easy to see why he has had success in the long term, he just gets these kids at 16 - 20 years old.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
'24 1st rnd (10th overall) Tyler Challenger 6'1 LW

Write up from Brock Otten's guide:

"Thinking about how incredible Mississauga’s young talent is, they should strive to pick a player that can jump in and transition smoothly to the major junior level. They will be looking to load up and make a deep playoff run next season, and adding a no player that will play a role in that run would be most beneficial. That player could be Tyler Challenger. Challenger plays a very mature game, and he is one of few natural centres in this draft class. He’s physically mature at 6’2” and 190lbs, but his methods of offensive creation around the net and his ability to drive the puck also translate to the OHL level right now. He generates a lot of his offence around the net, whether he is creating chaos out front, making plays down low, or driving to the middle with his strength, Challenger knows how to play his role in the offensive zone. He’s a very explosive skater for his size as well, and right now his pace would be average in the OHL — impressive for a 6’2” sixteen year old. He’s going to score a lot of flashy goals at the junior level with his hands and manipulation, but he is also going to score a lot of “garbage” goals around the net. It is easy to see Challenger playing in an OHL lineup today, and that’s what makes him valuable to a team like Mississauga. Seeing Challenger play alongside Porter Martone would also be a very exciting duo to watch."

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Makes sense they take a bigger forward, someone who seems to be more OHL ready than a lot of other 16 year olds. Considering their returning talent, next season is a year they are looking to take another step forward and at least compete for a conference championship. Their biggest holes are goalie and depth forward, and this pick gives them an option to address the latter of those holes

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Makes sense they take a bigger forward, someone who seems to be more OHL ready than a lot of other 16 year olds. Considering their returning talent, next season is a year they are looking to take another step forward and at least compete for a conference championship. Their biggest holes are goalie and depth forward, and this pick gives them an option to address the latter of those holes

If he's skating with Roysten at some point that could be a massive line with regards to size, perhaps throw in Messier for some leadership and you have a line that is 6'2 or taller.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If he's skating with Roysten at some point that could be a massive line with regards to size, perhaps throw in Messier for some leadership and you have a line that is 6'2 or taller.
Messier will need to produce more than 8 points to keep him around as a 19 year old. They still have the import draft, which I’m sure they will look to target a forward or a goalie

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

Terrance-Spence-Molnar?
Fimis-Alfano-Edwards
Roysten-Challenger-Messier
Hammond-Toroptsev-?

Sova-Daviault
Schaefer-Sauder
Henry Holomego
Knight?

Lord help us...
Living on a prayer...

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Stan's type of D-man...big hearty kid already.

Attachments

• 20240412_204711.jpg
    20240412_204711.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 2

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Stan's type of D-man...big hearty kid already.
Have not seen much anywhere about him other than he's a big stay at home defender...curious about this pick because there was still a lot of talent left on the board when he was selected. Here's to hoping the "Brown Dynasty" in all of their cronyism picked correctly?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Have not seen much anywhere about him other than he's a big stay at home defender...curious about this pick because there was still a lot of talent left on the board when he was selected. Here's to hoping the "Brown Dynasty" in all of their cronyism picked correctly?
I have a feeling Dave Brown is here for awhile… he just earned another award for being a great manager. I just want to know how is that possible for him? What are people seeing in him?

I’m still holding out that SB takes over as GM and KP takes over as head coach.

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
I hadn’t heard of Ambrosio either, and maybe there was still skill on the board at #25, but size on the blue line is something they definitely need. Maybe there wasn’t a big D worth taking at #10, but I’m glad they took one at #25.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I hadn’t heard of Ambrosio either, and maybe there was still skill on the board at #25, but size on the blue line is something they definitely need. Maybe there wasn’t a big D worth taking at #10, but I’m glad they took one at #25.

Outside of Schaefer, all the D are 6' and about 200 lbs or more.

I realize Sova isn't physical and neither is Daviault, but Henry, Sauder, and maybe Holomego fit that build.

I have never seen him play nor have I seen many writeups, but this seems like an odd pick at 25 unless he was the best available who will report, which has been known to happen.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
I have never seen him play nor have I seen many writeups, but this seems like an odd pick at 25 unless he was the best available who will report, which has been known to happen.

Windsor took the player (Carter Hicks) that Erie was projected to pick in a mock draft,

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Windsor took the player (Carter Hicks) that Erie was projected to pick in a mock draft,
You know mocks are not accurate, right? There is no inside knowledge that is being used to make mock draft picks, especially outside the top few picks

Erie’s drafting is just not good. So of course they probably reached for someone, they are known to do that. DB is a low level GM and their scouting dept is pretty mediocre. The owner had no major hockey ties prior to owning the team, other than being a fan. I don’t think he has the ability to properly run an organization because if he did, DB would have been gone 2-3 years but instead they keep doubling down on him (letting him hire his buddy, Stan, letting his family members or friends hold legit spots in the org). It’s disgusting. I’m blaming Waters now. This is on him

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
You know mocks are not accurate, right? There is no inside knowledge that is being used to make mock draft picks, especially outside the top few picks

Erie’s drafting is just not good. So of course they probably reached for someone, they are known to do that. DB is a low level GM and their scouting dept is pretty mediocre. The owner had no major hockey ties prior to owning the team, other than being a fan. I don’t think he has the ability to properly run an organization because if he did, DB would have been gone 2-3 years but instead they keep doubling down on him (letting him hire his buddy, Stan, letting his family members or friends hold legit spots in the org). It’s disgusting. I’m blaming Waters now. This is on him
There shouldn’t be friends in hockey. It’s a business.

Stan being here has helped tremendously, but Brown hasn’t done anything. I wouldn’t trust him to do any scouting. I was told that none of the scouts went to US events to watch players prior to the draft.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
There shouldn’t be friends in hockey. It’s a business.

Stan being here has helped tremendously, but Brown hasn’t done anything. I wouldn’t trust him to do any scouting. I was told that none of the scouts went to US events to watch players prior to the draft.
Yeah SB helped this year, for sure. But I also think there is a ceiling to his style and certainly now, his age. But Erie is clearly committed to it because they are exclusively drafting 6’0 and above players, and towering defenders. Long term, I still not onboard with the approach but if the alternative is Hartsburg and BJ, than I guess this is like hiring Nick Saban.

• Haha
Reactions: Mata

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad