Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
There is no quit in the Erie players, such a strong come from behind & 3rd period team that just doesn't look back,

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I love when you get to eat your words after he saves the team and gets us 2 points.
The point being...

You CAN'T do this against good teams...

Every single game he needs bailed out by the offense because he typically gives up 1 - 3 goals in a short span to start his stints in goal. It is a HUGE RED FLAG.

.880 save percentage is not bailing out the team.

Ethan Fraser with a .951 save percentage for a 4-2 win is bailing out your team.

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
I love when you get to eat your words after he saves the team and gets us 2 points.
Nobody is eating words. Gibbons did not save that win. He is notorious for giving up early goals on the first few shots of the game. The team in front of him saved that win by limiting the shots he faced to only 24, that of which 3 got by him. That puts his save % last night at .875.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Quite honestly this weekend (so far) a lot of the credit goes to the special teams. Yesterday they scored on all three PPs. Thursday they killed off 29PIMs with only allowing Peterborough scoring on 1/11 chances. All the credit goes to those teams. In September, I’m sure we wouldn’t have been able to say that. Although we had struggles on the PK early on in the season, according to the broadcast last night, they led the OHL with the top PK in February. We didn’t add much to the team at the deadline so it’s finally relief to see the team that looks good on paper, execute on the road.

Gibbons has improved since the acquiring Benny. His confidence has grown. It’s easy to see Benny has mentored him as much as he can. Gibby isn’t lights out and is a typical goalie Erie produces, but it’s good to see him get wins under his belt.

Reactions: EON

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Who all would you rather face in round 1 of the playoffs? Who do you think we match up against the best and why?

Season Head to Head:
 SOO 1-1
Kitchener 1-4
Saginaw 1-2

There are games against Saginaw and Kitchener left.

All 3 teams are playing pretty well currently.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Who all would you rather face in round 1 of the playoffs? Who do you think we match up against the best and why?

Season Head to Head:
 SOO 1-1
Kitchener 1-4
Saginaw 1-2

From a Saginaw point of view, I'd rather not play Erie. Not a fun place to play in.

Reactions: Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018

Season Head to Head:
 SOO 1-1
Kitchener 1-4
Saginaw 1-2

I don’t want the SOO from a travel perspective. I would rather play Saginaw.

We haven’t been able to figure out Kitchener yet.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don’t want the SOO from a travel perspective.
Yeah, that would be long travel for a round 1 opponent. I don't recall if we've ever played Erie in the first round of the playoffs. That would be rough travel.

Not that our other options are all that much closer (Guelph, Owen Sound).

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I actually think I'd prefer Kitchener. The Otters took it to them in their most recent game and I think they're the weakest of the top 4 teams. The travel to the Soo would be extremely difficult and though they've fared a bit better against Saginaw, their team post-deadline is scary. I could eat my words here though. They will be pretty big underdogs no matter who they face, but it will be fun to finally get to watch some meaningful playoff games again.

Even though I've been a bit of a Gibbons defender and he's been better recently, they have no chance at winning a round unless Gaudreau is healthy. On the upside, they are staying afloat without him and if he comes back at 100%, this may be the rest he needs to be fully fresh in the playoffs.

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yeah, give me Kitchener just because I would rather they get the highest seed possible

Erie is actually 1-2-2 against KIT, and Gaudreau has only played minutes in one of those games (an OT loss). As EON said, they need BG healthy if they have any chance of competing but if he is healthy and the team is playing confident then I think they have a shot against any first round round opponent

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, give me Kitchener just because I would rather they get the highest seed possible

Erie is actually 1-2-2 against KIT, and Gaudreau has only played minutes in one of those games (an OT loss). As EON said, they need BG healthy if they have any chance of competing but if he is healthy and the team is playing confident then I think they have a shot against any first round round opponent
If this weekend is a sign of what this team should’ve been all year, with BG back healthy, we could steal the first round. We missed Schaefer this weekend and with him back, it would strengthen this team.

I think once they get a lick of playoffs, even if we don’t win the first round, we would make some noise and tire whichever team out. This team will put up an honest fight.

I know I am contradicting myself, but I’m just excited to see Gibbons playing better in the absence of BG, and the team stepping up in front of him this past weekend. Playoff hockey has been sorely missed and any experience benefits them in the long run.

Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If this weekend is a sign of what this team should’ve been all year, with BG back healthy, we could steal the first round. We missed Schaefer this weekend and with him back, it would strengthen this team.

I think once they get a lick of playoffs, even if we don’t win the first round, we would make some noise and tire whichever team out. This team will put up an honest fight.

I know I am contradicting myself, but I’m just excited to see Gibbons playing better in the absence of BG, and the team stepping up in front of him this past weekend. Playoff hockey has been sorely missed and any experience benefits them in the long run.
Considering Erie is 20-11-2 with BG in net, yes I think they can steal a round. Really hope we get a chance to see him play in the playoffs and for the players to get a legit shot to compete. It would suck to wait 7 years for playoff hockey and then when it comes you are missing your clear #1 goalie

Reactions: OttersFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad