Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Sample size is always relevant, and with goalies the sample is never big enough. True.

I guess maybe I don't have a feel for what this team will be next season. I figured Erie would take a step back in 24-25, but maybe not? Misiak is gone but do you think Fimis and Sova are back? Alfano?

If next year becomes a contending year, then yes you would likely need to add a goalie. But if not, I think you have two good 06 options that you need to give some runway to try and figure it out.
What next year will be vs what it could be are two different topics. I think it will end in more of the same, a 7/8 seed finish because they simply don’t have the assests or drafting/development to fix the obvious holes like goalie and depth. And their coaching staff is overrated. But they are set to potentially return their top 5 scorers and that has to count for something when 2 of them are Terrance/Spence. They are yet again a team who will probably be trapped in the middle in terms of what to do, be buyers or be sellers. Which is truly the story of their “rebuilding” lives, mostly by their own doing (thanks DB) because they refused to rip the bandaid off years ago and paid a premium on used parts like Golden, Gilmartin, etc. If they don’t manage success next year, 2025-26 looks bleak with so much of their proven talent on offense set to move on.

I personally don’t feel good with the outlook. If the goalie situation was better this year with Lalonde/Gibbons, like many thought or hoped coming into the year, then we all probably feel different about next year. But the current squad has stumbled due to goalie issues and there aren’t any fixes in house right now

Reactions: Moroz

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Some major Devin Williams erasure going on here, if he wasn't a legit #1 goalie, I don't know who is. His performance in the 2015-16 season was incredible. He played 55 of 68 games, 0.915 SV %, 2.36 GAA (both second in the league, behind only Tyler Parsons). That team had no business winning the Hamilton Spectator Trophy, he carried them there. His postseason stats that year only look bad because the team got absolutely roasted by the Knights top line in the West Finals. He wasn't great in the 2014-15 playoffs but he's hardly the reason they lost to Oshawa. He was very good in relief of Dansk in 2013-14. He deserves far more respect than Otters fans have given him, even if he wasn't an elite #1.
Sorry, I don’t think I conveyed my point well enough or didn’t really respond to the OG post. I should have specified that while Williams put up “#1 numbers” that year, Timpano also had great numbers in the 2016-17 reg season with an elite team in front of him, having around a .923% going into late February that year. But then we saw what happened the following year without the team/coaching around him. I guess part of my point was that the stats have a lot to do with the team as well. So when looking at when they last had a goalie with #1 numbers - it’s certainly not going to be in recent years when the team and coaching around the goalie has been a disaster. IMO Williams numbers were largely a product of being an OA with the combo of team/coaching in front of him. Doesn’t mean he sucked or didn’t put up great numbers that year but throughout the totality of his career — he just had one amazing regular season around a great team, and otherwise was just solid overall. Wouldn’t call him a true #1 goalie over the course of his career despite his one amazing season. But that’s also just semantics of how we want to define what a true #1 is and everyone will have their own definition there

we can agree to disagree ;)
either way I’m glad to get EON active on the boards!

Last edited:

WestPAPuckFan

Feb 14, 2024
Erie, PA
THE BOOT IS GONE, I REPEAT, THE BOOT IS GONE!
1709067468473.png

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sample size is always relevant, and with goalies the sample is never big enough. True.

I guess maybe I don't have a feel for what this team will be next season. I figured Erie would take a step back in 24-25, but maybe not? Misiak is gone but do you think Fimis and Sova are back? Alfano?

If next year becomes a contending year, then yes you would likely need to add a goalie. But if not, I think you have two good 06 options that you need to give some runway to try and figure it out.
I think Alfano, Fimis, & Sova will be the OAs; and Fimis, Sova, Terrance, Spence, and Schaefer to possibly be the best group of 1st picks in the league.

howler2

Apr 9, 2023
Was he actually sick or is the staff not confident in him? Honest question, he was rumored to be sick weeks ago when all this started. He also has practiced with the team the whole time.
He has a leg issue, saw him with a air cast on his foot last wk in Sarnia.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
Long distance charges? Wow. I remember those. You Grey/Bruce guys are gonna love it when you get cell phones and unlimited wireless coverage. :laugh: I was gonna do you a solid and call but Mata already offered and I’d want one of those killer OS Grey’s throwback jerseys as payment.
International long distance...

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Tonight on All My Goaltenders

Ethan Fraser (Lost in shootout vs. Oshawa 2/17/24) is back in net vs Peterborough.

We can look at it two ways...and one is awesome:

1. Hell yes for these young kids to get opportunities to play they might not have normally had!

2. WTF are you doing Dave Brown to mess up the team roster so badly we are forced to be the revolving door of allowing other teams to evaluate their future at relatively no risk to them!

OttersHockey1968

Apr 13, 2022
So why was Ethan Fraser not drafted into the OHL? Has anyone researched into it? The kid is a stud and is playing way better than any goalie we have drafted into our system.
He's been very good in both his appearances. Anyone know if we can sign this kid?

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Good luck to Otters fans with the unfortunate goalie situation, your team deserves to make the playoffs.
I think 2016-2017 was the last time Erie played post-season hockey and had a powerhouse team with DeBrincat, Strome, Raddysh brothers.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Glad the team could put up the first win of the weekend. The PK got a lot of reps in tonight and it was good to see them execute.

Next weekend will be huge with Erie having the advantage of being home over OS. It would be nice to have Benny back for that weekend. If he’s not ready, it has to be Fraser. The team played well both outings with him in net. We could pass the hat around to pay his club team to let us borrow him for the weekend. 😂

Reactions: Section5Petes

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Erie has used multiple emergency tenders since Ben's injury. Not sure of how it works.
Owen Sound fan here, to answer your statement teams can loan tenders to other teams if they have enough to continue to play games themselves. Any ECU player can play for a maximum 10 games before having to be sent back to where ever they were playing. In most cases teams use their own draft selection who would not effect the OA or under-age limit but in very unforeseen circumstances its not out of a teams ability to bring a call up from another team.

But as long as it's only for a maximum 10 games. Usually most teams would only put those kids in if it was absolutely necessary but in most cases they would put their backup tender in and have the call-up on the bench just in case, beyond that they may play an ECU in situations to see what the kid can do for a look see into the coming cycles. But its not very common to see a team ride an ECU a full 10 game stint. It's just not fair to the kid to be thrown in the deep end.

WestPAPuckFan

Feb 14, 2024
Erie, PA
Glad the team could put up the first win of the weekend. The PK got a lot of reps in tonight and it was good to see them execute.

Next weekend will be huge with Erie having the advantage of being home over OS. It would be nice to have Benny back for that weekend. If he’s not ready, it has to be Fraser. The team played well both outings with him in net. We could pass the hat around to pay his club team to let us borrow him for the weekend. 😂
Any rumor that he'll be back next week or just wishful thinking?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Any rumor that he'll be back next week or just wishful thinking?
Just wishful thinking. With him not in the large boot it makes me wonder if he’s close to coming back.

I’m no doctor by any means, it would just be nice for him to come back and steal 4 pts.

GetOutDaKitchin

Jul 24, 2013
I'm just going to come right out and say it: Ethan Fraser has been the best goalie we've had all season. Sure, the sample size is small, but he's legit. I'll die on this hill.

Just wish he wasn't an OA...

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ahh… the Covid year. That explains why I didn’t remember. He must’ve been the odd man out of the numbers game.
I don't think his OJHL results have been particularly impressive through his junior career. Not sure he would have made the jump based on performance in that league. Great for him that he found himself an opportunity here to prove himself at this level. If he continues to get more opportunity here with the Otters though, perhaps he can earn himself a further opportunity somewhere next year.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022

Owen Sound will have their secret weapon in attendance.....

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Quite the tilt last night between William Haley & Westley Royston. Crowd was basically giving them a standing ovation after it.
Wouldn't be shocked if they both get a suspension for a planned fight off the faceoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: