Erie Otters 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
There are a few incentives for Knoblauch to sign here, not the least of which is the stronger American dollar. The last time I checked $1.00 US equals $1.30 Canadian. In addition, he has a great group to work with. Also, in Erie, players and coaches are pretty much left alone. Hopefully, this adds up to a new contract for him.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Yeah Hopefully They sign Knobloch to at least another 2 year contract..Awesome coach with great composier.. Hopefully he comes back and we try again to change the ending !!!

On another note:So now that Dermott is playing in the AHL playoffs does that mean he cannot come back here next year?

I'm still absolutely stunned by that last round..didn't see that coming for the life of me .also was funny how a lot of people in our section once again asking if Strome was hurt...the skating and effort couldn't have been any worse ..I remember the same talk last year in the playoffs..Aparantly not an injury thing

Thx to Marchment ,Williams and Betz for their effort here .. Really appreciate it ..

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Dermott is practicing with the Marlies but hasn't been added to their active roster. Having said that, I will go out on a limb and say his junior hockey days are over.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I didn't want to bring this up until some time had passed so people could recover from the disappointing 2nd round, but.....

Any update on that contest from whomever ran it?

Thanks.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
They kind of have to go into next season with the mindset that Cernak, Strome and Dermott are gone. You can't plan on them being here without control over that.

That being said, I don't think Strome makes the show, and will be too young for the AHL, meaning it's either Arizona or here.

Dermott can fill an AHL spot next year, as he barely makes the cut by 9 days for AHL eligibility. Depends on the depth of the Marlies and what their plan is for him. Obviously bringing him up to practice with the team now, I think mainly just to give him some more practice/ice-time now that the Otters season is done. I see him coming back next year.

As for Cernak, not sure. Could see him back, but could also see him in the AHL. Though I think what he showed with us this season points to him being back here. There are a lot of areas of his game that looked like it needed work even at the OHL level, let alone the fact that the Reign are deep already.

We'll see...

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Looking at what London is doing to Niagara right now, can't blame our goalie or anyone in particular for what happened to our team. At least we were spared that they weren't awarded the championship in OUR building.

We still have the satisfaction of being the LAST team to win in the London Ice House. :laugh:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Looking at what London is doing to Niagara right now, can't blame our goalie or anyone in particular for what happened to our team. At least we were spared that they weren't awarded the championship in OUR building.

We still have the satisfaction of being the LAST team to win in the London Ice House. :laugh:

No you have nothing to hang your heads low, the Otters were one heck of a team this year, unfortunately they just did not have any extra resource left to re-enforce at the trade deadline.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Allan McShane (1st round pick) had a heck of a OHL Gold Cup. Finished tied 1st with 6 goals and added 3 more assists to give him 9 points with 5 games being played. His team, GTHLRed, also won event.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Betz, Marchment are tough losses just from the experience, leadership, size aspect. But with so much youth on this roster.. There is more raw talent than those guys had. Williams is obviously the biggest loss given we don't know what is going to become of Lawr. However I believe his raw talent is there and just needs to work with people this summer. If he doesn't improve enough to see fit as a decent #1 then prospects as well as a trade for a veteran goalie just to keep things stable would be explored.
Dermott will be in AHL. He's just too good for this level and in my view should have won defenseman of year. He does everything and was asked to do everything well also playing big minutes. Cernak is a ? mark given his size. Like EON has said- he could be too big and physically mature for this league. However the depth on defense for LA kings is pretty big and last season he would have been 8/9 on ahl roster. In Erie he would be #1 or on any team in ohl will be given chance to play all situations and about 25 minutes per game. I like his size but I think he could get more physical and be more of a shutdown guy like I expected.

Strome to me is not ready. Now look I'm not an NHL scout but I have seen about 100 games live with him over his career. I said it before- he is slower and has big frame so either be more physical (especially as a centerman) or you better get a lot quicker with your legs. If Arizona rushes him that is their call and likely would be a political "pressured" situation but probably would stunt his growth. The only thing is doesn't have to prove at this level is his hockey IQ and his shot. But he can be more physical, better skater, and more consistent. In my view still things to prove but people assume not given his statistics.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Let's consider Erie loses Strome, Dermott, Cernak, Betz, Williams, Marchment..

Lines could be:
Lodnia- Raddysh- Debrincat
Maksimovich- Bily- Neumann
Fellows- Pettit- McShane/Celotti
Girhiny- MacRae- Hopkins

Raddysh-Fergus
Sambrook- Byrne
Wainman-Egan/Martin

If the goaltending is decent I think with Knoblauch at coach this is a team that still could/should be a 6-7 or so seeded team. Largely depends on the growth of younger guys. Also I would then trade Debrincat and DRaddysh or even Pettit. If Strome/Cernak comes back I'm moving them too. Now if this team got Strome/Cernak back and they figured out the net... All of the sudden they are probably looking a top 3/4 team in west again. But don't be fooled-- we don't have the assets to improve next year's team and it would be a waste, similar to Guelph with fabbri etc, to not just move on from guys. You make some moves and you could have (depending on Cernak/Strome returning or not) 3-7 second round picks and probably 3-7 third round picks added up back to you collection and effectively be back to where you want to be with future picks. Then you could also add a young player for Debrincat and Strome if he return.
This team could be good next year if 2/3 things go their way this offseason but boy I'm telling you.. Make some big sell off trades and maybe add someone of Kiefiuk/Gratton/Headrick.. And all the sudden this team is looking very talented and deeper than we have ever had in 2017-18

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
H10, I hate trading in the middle of the season for the rent-a-player, but trading a veteran or two before the season gets too deep would be ok with me. I really wish that Colton Point would reconsider his commitment. We lost too many picks two and three years ago. Should Strome be available, I would consider trading him. He would fetch some high draft picks.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
H10, I hate trading in the middle of the season for the rent-a-player, but trading a veteran or two before the season gets too deep would be ok with me. I really wish that Colton Point would reconsider his commitment. We lost too many picks two and three years ago. Should Strome be available, I would consider trading him. He would fetch some high draft picks.

I would only sell off next season. All to recoup picks or bring in more talent. The only trade to bring in someone- potentially a OA goalie at beginning of years just to stabilize things. But I would really just let next year be a growing process with zero pressure or expectations of a chamionship team

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Allan McShane (1st round pick) had a heck of a OHL Gold Cup. Finished tied 1st with 6 goals and added 3 more assists to give him 9 points with 5 games being played. His team, GTHLRed, also won event.

Hate to nitpick but GTHL Red finished fourth, losing to HEO in an exciting game. GTHL Blue won the tournament over Alliance in the final. McShane still played unbelievable regardless.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Hate to nitpick but GTHL Red finished fourth, losing to HEO in an exciting game. GTHL Blue won the tournament over Alliance in the final. McShane still played unbelievable regardless.
No my bad. I saw a tweet that said they did so I assumed it was accurate. My fault, should have looked further. Either way for an event like that I care more about the individual success for McShane and it looks like he had plenty of success

Mayday3*

They kind of have to go into next season with the mindset that Cernak, Strome and Dermott are gone. You can't plan on them being here without control over that.

That being said, I don't think Strome makes the show, and will be too young for the AHL, meaning it's either Arizona or here.

Dermott can fill an AHL spot next year, as he barely makes the cut by 9 days for AHL eligibility. Depends on the depth of the Marlies and what their plan is for him. Obviously bringing him up to practice with the team now, I think mainly just to give him some more practice/ice-time now that the Otters season is done. I see him coming back next year.

As for Cernak, not sure. Could see him back, but could also see him in the AHL. Though I think what he showed with us this season points to him being back here. There are a lot of areas of his game that looked like it needed work even at the OHL level, let alone the fact that the Reign are deep already.

We'll see...

He started this year refusing to go to Erie (until they sent him to Ontario and kept healthy scratching him) and made it very clear he thought he was ready for AHL (Ontario). Would be extremely shocked if he's not in the AHL or ECHL next season

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
No my bad. I saw a tweet that said they did so I assumed it was accurate. My fault, should have looked further. Either way for an event like that I care more about the individual success for McShane and it looks like he had plenty of success

That he did. When GTHL Blue and Red faced off on Saturday, Blue won 5-4 with McShane scoring all four of Red's goals. So an offensive engine for sure.

I just cross-checked rosters with who Erie had drafted and it doesn't seem like you guys had a lot of representation this year...probably due to not having a 2nd/4th/5th round pick.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
He started this year refusing to go to Erie (until they sent him to Ontario and kept healthy scratching him) and made it very clear he thought he was ready for AHL (Ontario). Would be extremely shocked if he's not in the AHL or ECHL next season

he thought he was ahl and clearly he wasn't. He also, according to a few people, knew nothing about the OHL and wanted to start getting his pro earnings. But I read an article after the WJC that said he was totally skeptical of ohl to start but he was at that point enjoying the league and being used in many different aspects by the coaching staff. Given that he is a signed pick to LA they will sorta do what they want and they showed that last season. Nobody is holding their breath on it though or with Strome but it's not 100% in stone he is gone next year like it is with someone like Dermott.
Either way this team has so much youth up front and starting to build it up on the backend as well.
Raddysh, Fergus, Sambrook are all capable/solid top 4 player on D. Byrne and Egan could see a big jump entering their 2nd season and Wainman impressed last year when he did play as a 16 year old (former 2nd round pick) plus Ryan Martin and Jack Duff. Maybe pursue Owen Headrick again if he gets drafted in NHL.
Really I think they should trade Cernak if he came back anyways, same with Darren Raddysh. Yes a lot of youth if they did but with defenders it's really all about experience

Last edited:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
That he did. When GTHL Blue and Red faced off on Saturday, Blue won 5-4 with McShane scoring all four of Red's goals. So an offensive engine for sure.

I just cross-checked rosters with who Erie had drafted and it doesn't seem like you guys had a lot of representation this year...probably due to not having a 2nd/4th/5th round pick.

Yeah the picks were bare. Jack Duff (Defense) the only other guy I believe although I hear he did impress also. I think 2 good value picks with McShane and Duff and US players like Cade Robinson (undersized) and Calen Kiefiuk (Michigan commit) were the other top talents that they got deeper in draft. The rest are more projects but lucky for Erie their drafting has been amazing the past fewseasons. Should return all but maximum of 6 players from last year and they could return all but 3-4 players from next year's roster going into 2017-18. The youth is as good or better than most rebuild teams it's just Erie doesn't have as many draft picks in their possession the next 2/3 drafts

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
The rest are more projects but lucky for Erie their drafting has been amazing the past fewseasons. Should return all but maximum of 6 players from last year and they could return all but 3-4 players from next year's roster going into 2017-18. The youth is as good or better than most rebuild teams it's just Erie doesn't have as many draft picks in their possession the next 2/3 drafts

This is why your coach should stay put. Unfinished business for him in Erie and he will be ultra competitive for at least a few more years and if they keep drafting so well perhaps for a long time!

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Let's consider Erie loses Strome, Dermott, Cernak, Betz, Williams, Marchment..

Lines could be:
Lodnia- Raddysh- Debrincat
Maksimovich- Bily- Neumann
Fellows- Pettit- McShane/Celotti
Girhiny- MacRae- Hopkins

Raddysh-Fergus
Sambrook- Byrne
Wainman-Egan/Martin

If the goaltending is decent I think with Knoblauch at coach this is a team that still could/should be a 6-7 or so seeded team. Largely depends on the growth of younger guys. Also I would then trade Debrincat and DRaddysh or even Pettit. If Strome/Cernak comes back I'm moving them too. Now if this team got Strome/Cernak back and they figured out the net... All of the sudden they are probably looking a top 3/4 team in west again. But don't be fooled-- we don't have the assets to improve next year's team and it would be a waste, similar to Guelph with fabbri etc, to not just move on from guys. You make some moves and you could have (depending on Cernak/Strome returning or not) 3-7 second round picks and probably 3-7 third round picks added up back to you collection and effectively be back to where you want to be with future picks. Then you could also add a young player for Debrincat and Strome if he return.
This team could be good next year if 2/3 things go their way this offseason but boy I'm telling you.. Make some big sell off trades and maybe add someone of Kiefiuk/Gratton/Headrick.. And all the sudden this team is looking very talented and deeper than we have ever had in 2017-18

You can likely add a skilled Import player to your projected roster for next season--maybe even two if Cernak moves on.
I think Erie could very well be top 4 in the Western Conference. If you look at the 'quality' of your young players, Erie has skilled players ready to put up good numbers, namely Lodnia, Neumann, Maksimovich, and McShane. Then, of course, you have vets like Debrincat and Raddysh.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
This is why your coach should stay put. Unfinished business for him in Erie and he will be ultra competitive for at least a few more years and if they keep drafting so well perhaps for a long time!

Exactly what he said in interview with Fernandes after season ended. Basically he likes his position and is "comfortable" here. A young team with room to grow in what he referred to as very good in 2-3 years if they continue this path and he loves that the work they have all done to build players. The guy is not even 40 years old yet and so he is in no rush to move on.

Interesting fact- next season Erie could be looking at nearly 100% fully Erie otters draft picks only players. Only exceptions are Haydon Hopkins (whl signee) who might not even return/make team and Alex Debrincat (free agent). And it's not like the team will be poor either. They will be very raw and talented, just young

Last edited:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
You can likely add a skilled Import player to your projected roster for next season--maybe even two if Cernak moves on.
I think Erie could very well be top 4 in the Western Conference. If you look at the 'quality' of your young players, Erie has skilled players ready to put up good numbers, namely Lodnia, Neumann, Maksimovich, and McShane. Then, of course, you have vets like Debrincat and Raddysh.
I always forget about the import given its later draft. Erie should likely move on from Mayenschein and use just their higher pick to draft a young forward with size. They have had recent success getting NHL signed picks like Burakovsky, Dansk, and now Cernak and nearly Anton Karlsson had he have signed with coyotes he likely would have been in Erie last year racking up points with Mcdavid. In my view though the management needs to be smart and plan for 2-3 years from now. So much youth combined with little draft picks means they could be top 3-4 in conference but don't think enough to win chamionship.
I would leave an import spot for Cernak just in case. Chances are slim but if he did come back it would be nice to have his size/experience to add to young defense or even to be able to trade him for a few higher picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad