Erie Otters 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Couple of things- first off congrats to London.

Also no worries about Debrincat. I don't believe he is even ahl eligible but even if he was... He is 5'7 165lbs and will be a later 1st round pick/early second. He isn't ready for ahl in my book just based off strength and having no pressure to be there. However it doesn't matter as he isn't eligible for it

Other notes- this team exceeding expectations so really not too much disappointment. A very young and small squad that worked hard all year to even get to this point. The future is bright. And we made no trades to destroy the future like previous two seasons. Combined with another solid draft this season.
Also I still think there is a chance Strome comes back. His skating is not good enough for NHL, he is a big body but doesn't preferably like contact or seek it and still has consistency issues. The only reason he is in Arizona next season is 1) he very much improves his skating and strength or 2) they unwisely rush him. I don't think they want Dylan playing 4th line minutes or sitting the bench. Even 3rd line is a stretch because he can't grind in the corners yet. Is he a top 6 forward in NHL yet? Nope. Top 9? Maybe. If he was a later pick in draft he might be back but Arizona might feel the pressure and rush him. I still think he has a slight chance to be back because in my view, even though he doesn't have a hell of a lot left to learn here, he isn't NHL ready.
Either way- if we get him back I want to trade him and look towards a small rebuild. Darren Raddysh could be moved as well. Consider Debrincat as well. Pettit another small move.
The killer this year was having 0 assets. We really had a strong core but had we have had the ability to, adding a top 6 winger and 3/4 veteran defender would have made the team much deeper. We need to rebuild the cupboard a bit

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Very much a young and talented team now and for the future. I've said it before and I'll make note of it again- they can be just as good if not better than the past 3 seasons in 2017-18. Strong youth and depth in system. First issue will be getting a few guys to sign on. 2nd issue will be developing and likely finding coach to replace Knoblauch and 3rd issue will getting some more size on the roster and assets/picks for future trades

(All guys that could be on team in 17-18 season, which Erie should look towards next)

Forwards-
Patrick Fellows ('97)
Taylor Raddysh ('98)
Kyle Maksimovich ('98)
Shaun Bily ('98)
Christian Girhiny ('98)
Vanya Lodnia ('99)
Brett Neumann ('99)
Nick Celotti ('99)
Allan McShane ('00)

College Commits/USHL/unsigned-
Tyler Gratton ('99)
Calen Kiefiuk ('00)

Other options-
Derek McVey ('99)
Carson Edwardson ('99)
Max Carbone ('99)
Cade Robinson ('00)

Defense-
TJ Fergus ('97)
Jordan Sambrook ('98)
Mitch Byrne ('98)
Taylor Egan ('98)
Josh Wainman ('99)
Ryan Martin ('99)
Jack Duff ('00)

College Commit-
Owen Headrick ('97)

Goaltending-
Jake Lawr ('98)

College/USHL/Unsigned
Mitchell Gibson ('99)
Colton Point ('99)

I like where this team is headed. Don't think this organization is headed in any direction but up and winning games and having success should continue. Just have to sign some key names. Gibson, Kiefiuk, and Gratton would be the biggest steals- especially Kiefiuk who has signed on for USHL and is committed to Michigan. But overall in good shape especially if we sell off a bit next season

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Couple of things- first off congrats to London.

Also no worries about Debrincat. I don't believe he is even ahl eligible but even if he was... He is 5'7 165lbs and will be a later 1st round pick/early second. He isn't ready for ahl in my book just based off strength and having no pressure to be there. However it doesn't matter as he isn't eligible for it

Other notes- this team exceeding expectations so really not too much disappointment. A very young and small squad that worked hard all year to even get to this point. The future is bright. And we made no trades to destroy the future like previous two seasons. Combined with another solid draft this season.
Also I still think there is a chance Strome comes back. His skating is not good enough for NHL, he is a big body but doesn't preferably like contact or seek it and still has consistency issues. The only reason he is in Arizona next season is 1) he very much improves his skating and strength or 2) they unwisely rush him. I don't think they want Dylan playing 4th line minutes or sitting the bench. Even 3rd line is a stretch because he can't grind in the corners yet. Is he a top 6 forward in NHL yet? Nope. Top 9? Maybe. If he was a later pick in draft he might be back but Arizona might feel the pressure and rush him. I still think he has a slight chance to be back because in my view, even though he doesn't have a hell of a lot left to learn here, he isn't NHL ready.
Either way- if we get him back I want to trade him and look towards a small rebuild. Darren Raddysh could be moved as well. Consider Debrincat as well. Pettit another small move.
The killer this year was having 0 assets. We really had a strong core but had we have had the ability to, adding a top 6 winger and 3/4 veteran defender would have made the team much deeper. We need to rebuild the cupboard a bit

Congrats on a good season. Sound analysis.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
H10, great posts.

If Erie can find the right trade partner/partners, I say unload at the deadline & rebuild. The casual fans didn't show up like they should have for this run, the ones that understand will. If you go back to the beginning of the season, who would have predicted Erie going this far? The good part of winning the regular season championship is "Another banner" to hang from the rafters, the bad is lower draft picks, maybe Erie was rope-a-doped into that? Sure seems that way.

Who to root for to win the championship? Kinda tough. You can go with the American loaded roster of London (even though America shouldn't have teams in the OHL by those BRAVE anonymous posters from up North,lol so why have players from down South?) or Niagara with the fan that posts how much he hates Erie. In my mind, there's only one team to hate in the OHL so.....Not one team to root for?

PuckDog

Apr 10, 2016
H10, I agree about Strome and I think if he is in the OHL we should trade him for younger workers. I just feel in the last two playoff years he has hid alot especially for a #3 pick. The other thing is goaltending ... we need a little more consistancy.. But overall a good year and looking forward to the next with hopefully Chis still coaching the team.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
H10, great posts.

If Erie can find the right trade partner/partners, I say unload at the deadline & rebuild. The casual fans didn't show up like they should have for this run, the ones that understand will. If you go back to the beginning of the season, who would have predicted Erie going this far? The good part of winning the regular season championship is "Another banner" to hang from the rafters, the bad is lower draft picks, maybe Erie was rope-a-doped into that? Sure seems that way.

Who to root for to win the championship? Kinda tough. You can go with the American loaded roster of London (even though America shouldn't have teams in the OHL by those BRAVE anonymous posters from up North,lol so why have players from down South?) or Niagara with the fan that posts how much he hates Erie. In my mind, there's only one team to hate in the OHL so.....Not one team to root for?

They have really turned this around in Erie. Yes Mcdavid was extremely helpful but the overall drafting by Dave Brown and his staff has been super. Imagine if Erie hit on some US or college guys like London does? Dylan Larkin, Drake Caggiula, Owen Headrick, etc. They really have to start hitting on a few. hopefully, as you say and others probably say, they trade off a bit next season and recoup some picks. Another successful season with no chamionship is tough but without 50 win seasons for 3 straight years, Erie is in a different city. For that reason this run will be remembered and should be honored more. It essentially saved the team in Erie for the time being. But the one constant in losing deep in playoffs was depth scoring and goaltending... Need to build that up better going forward. Lawr has all the size and intangibles to at least be better than Williams. He was dubbed the top goalie available in 2014 draft. He needs a big offseason though. I did see flashes from him but his commitment this offseason will go a long way.

I'm rooting for Niagara. I like new faces to win chamionships. And although that team has a few over the line players like DiFrusia.. London has their guys like Tkachuk. Also Dave Brown worked with Niagara so a bit of a connection there. Niagara close to border as well and Erie franchise from Niagara. Stephen Harper also playing for them.. Who I think we never should have traded with Guance for.. Don't really care but told myself that Erie wouldn't beat Niagara anyways. Ned is too good. In games against him Erie would generate 30-40 shots, a lot of high quality, but Ned would stone them. So Niagara winning will help ease the loss for Erie- didn't think Erie could really beat them anyways.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
H10, I agree about Strome and I think if he is in the OHL we should trade him for younger workers. I just feel in the last two playoff years he has hid alot especially for a #3 pick. The other thing is goaltending ... we need a little more consistancy.. But overall a good year and looking forward to the next with hopefully Chis still coaching the team.

Strome just not strong enough with that frame. Either he is weak or shying away too much. I think he is just shying away too much. And honestly that would be fine.. Mcdavid never gave or wanted contact, neither does Marner or other stars. But those guys have ultra speed and skating to avoid hits and puck skills to make guys miss. Strome is a power forward with a very good IQ and elite shot. If he doesn't improve his skating well then he must be more physical. Same sorta goes for Taylor Raddysh. I just wish he would be willing to lay the hits more and set a tone for his team, sadly he didn't this past series and the other guys followed suit. His future is bright but Arizona fans need to realize he is a project.

Agree with goaltending. It's pretty much been the biggest flaw for 3 straight years- every year it was Williams

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
https://youtu.be/T7gMi65Oa6s Marner WJ vs Swe.

just say'n. :sarcasm:

Good video! But overall game doesn't involve hitting for guys like Mcdavid. Everyone lays some hits and gets hit at some point because it's hockey. With Strome's frame though he either needs to put that into his actual style, being physical, or he needs to be better with his skating and movement. His frame shows that he should become more of a power forward especially given that he slots in that center spot

Jay37

Apr 25, 2016
Erie needs to find a solid goalie next year, yes Williams didn't play well in the playoffs, but he played well enough in the regular season for you, and without a good goalie, next year won't be that kind since as London has shown in the past scoring can win you the regular season, it doesn't usually win you the playoffs.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Very much a young and talented team now and for the future. I've said it before and I'll make note of it again- they can be just as good if not better than the past 3 seasons in 2017-18. Strong youth and depth in system. First issue will be getting a few guys to sign on. 2nd issue will be developing and likely finding coach to replace Knoblauch and 3rd issue will getting some more size on the roster and assets/picks for future trades

(All guys that could be on team in 17-18 season, which Erie should look towards next)

Forwards-
Patrick Fellows ('97)
Taylor Raddysh ('98)
Kyle Maksimovich ('98)
Shaun Bily ('98)
Christian Girhiny ('98)
Vanya Lodnia ('99)
Brett Neumann ('99)
Nick Celotti ('99)
Allan McShane ('00)

College Commits/USHL/unsigned-
Tyler Gratton ('99)
Calen Kiefiuk ('00)

Other options-
Derek McVey ('99)
Carson Edwardson ('99)
Max Carbone ('99)
Cade Robinson ('00)

Defense-
TJ Fergus ('97)
Jordan Sambrook ('98)
Mitch Byrne ('98)
Taylor Egan ('98)
Josh Wainman ('99)
Ryan Martin ('99)
Jack Duff ('00)

College Commit-
Owen Headrick ('97)

Goaltending-
Jake Lawr ('98)

College/USHL/Unsigned
Mitchell Gibson ('99)
Colton Point ('99)

I like where this team is headed. Don't think this organization is headed in any direction but up and winning games and having success should continue. Just have to sign some key names. Gibson, Kiefiuk, and Gratton would be the biggest steals- especially Kiefiuk who has signed on for USHL and is committed to Michigan. But overall in good shape especially if we sell off a bit next season

H10...solid post.
I think that Erie is in good shape moving forward owing to some excellent scouting, and will be competitive in the years to come.
Lodnia, Maksimovich, Neumann, McShane is a good core group within which to re-build.
Is Erie the new Plymouth? A team that will be competitive year in and year out?

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
H10...solid post.
I think that Erie is in good shape moving forward owing to some excellent scouting, and will be competitive in the years to come.
Lodnia, Maksimovich, Neumann, McShane is a good core group within which to re-build.
Is Erie the new Plymouth? A team that will be competitive year in and year out?

Thanks. I really hope we are headed in that direction. The system is in place and the new owners seem strong to keep it building. Got to just continue to make strong decisions and that could start with finding a new coach this summer- Knoblauch has to be on the verge of leaving

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Thanks. I really hope we are headed in that direction. The system is in place and the new owners seem strong to keep it building. Got to just continue to make strong decisions and that could start with finding a new coach this summer- Knoblauch has to be on the verge of leaving

Then again, maybe Knoblauch MIGHT want to stick around? We shall see....

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie will still be competitive next season, as long as Lawr progresses and plays up to his potential. He looked excellent in the preseason but not very good in the regular season, maybe being the starter and having regular playing time will help there. Potential lineup as I see it now:

Bily-DeBrincat-Raddysh
Maksimovich-Neumann-Lodnia
Girhiny-Pettit(OA)-Fellows
McShane-Hopkins-Celotti
MacRae/Mayenschein

Wild cards:

Strome - Will he get returned by Arizona? I'm pretty confident he'll make the NHL roster but they have been a patient organization in the past and his skating/strength still need significant work

Holdyn Lansink (2014 12th) - I thought he was very close to making the team this past season, just got beat out by Girhiny. He had a good season in junior B, nearly PPG and a lot of PIMs. He's a physical player with some skill, could be a good bottom six player

Carson Edwardson (2015 11th) - the past two seasons the Otters have signed a mid round pick out of Ridley College (Fox, Girhiny), I think Edwardson could be the 3rd straight. He looked pretty good in camp and he had a solid season this year.

Fergus-Raddysh (OA)
Byrne-Sambrook
Wainman-Egan
Martin

Wild Cards:

Cernak - Will LA return him? I think its worth hanging onto his rights. When the saga ended and he got assigned here I figured he'd be a one and done, but he was pretty shaky at times this season. His defensive positioning and stick handling still need quite a bit of work. He might be too strong for the OHL though.

Owen Headrick (2013 14th) - Evidently Erie pushed very hard to sign him this past season, will they try again? He'd instantly step into Erie's top four.

Adam Pys (2015 13th) - I liked him at camp and he also had a pretty solid season at Ridley College. But with Erie already pretty much set at 7 dmen he's in tough.

Jack Duff (2016 3rd) - I don't think he'll make this team because of the aforementioned depth but I also haven't seen him play, so who knows. He has pretty good size and put up pretty good numbers this past season.

Lawr
Gibson/Oberoi

Right now Lawr goes into the upcoming season as the starter and Erie's success really hinges on how much of a step forward he talks. He's got size and skill, he just needs to put it all together. The backup battle will be interesting. If Gibson doesn't show it's easily Oberoi's job, but if Gibson shows it will be fun to watch.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Erie tried to use their 3rd OA spot on a goalie, there could be a few good ones out there (Mancina, Carty).

Lot of variables going into next season, including the import situation, potential Strome/Cernak returns, goaltending, and what happens with Knoblauch.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
A lot of factors like you said.
I think Lawr has very good potential. Showed it early in year but playing 2-3 times per month didn't help him. He has some areas to work on but his size and intangibles are there. Hopefully Gibson gets more convinced since the backup job, and really starting job, is open.

I like Carson Edwardson as well. Similar statistic production as Fox with his time at Ridley College. The thing with him is much like Girhiny though- size and strength. If he can add that then the kid can become down the line a 6-9 forward. Adam Pys also intriguing. Has been a water rower from what I found out and has been very good/competitive at it. Those guys have a lot of leg and upper body strength so he may be a wild card. Last checked in at 6'3 190lbs. Could very well develop into a grit defender.
All I know is there is plenty of skill on this team but they need to add some beef and height down the line.
I would bet Celotti makes the roster. From everything I heard he was a very low key steal at 5th round in 2015 and could have been a 2nd round guy. Hoping he developed more because he seems to have a 200ft high Motor work ethic- think Connor brown. Should be interesting. Certainly I would look to dump a few guys and start getting more picks to recoup the assets but we shall see. The future is good though

Another thing is I would move on from mayenschein and try to draft a young 17 year old foreign guy that we can potentially have for 2 seasons. Mlakar has connections to LA and should get a gauge with Cernak because although he is big he could use another year here and LA kings are stacked in AHL with defenders

anotherhockeyfan

Oct 31, 2014
Here you people are saying how Erie exceded expectations this year and how they have had 3 - 50 win seasons (which has never been done in the OHL), made it to the WCF all three years and in the next breath put Williams down because he was the one in net those three years. Something is out of whack about that. Yes he had an inconsistent year last year, unfortunately it happens, (look at Lundquists playoffs this year) but where would we have been without him the first year we made it? You forget he took over for Dansk and got us to the WCF, would we have made it that far without him. He did falter in the finals last year, but so did the rest of the team, shut down by a better defensive team, it happens. And this year, with the youth on this team and no trades at the deadline when London and Niagara loaded up, what did you people expect. From my vantage point I saw more back door goals than you can shake a stick at, more turnovers, more missed passes, skating that looked like a stroll in the park, nobody hitting and nobody home to get rid of the second shot after Williams got the first and/or second. I, for one, am proud of every player who was an Otter the past three seasons, they have made Erie a place other players will want to come to. With the new leadership you will eventually get your championship, just appreciate the effort by all the players on this team who have taken the fans this far.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Here you people are saying how Erie exceded expectations this year and how they have had 3 - 50 win seasons (which has never been done in the OHL), made it to the WCF all three years and in the next breath put Williams down because he was the one in net those three years. Something is out of whack about that. Yes he had an inconsistent year last year, unfortunately it happens, (look at Lundquists playoffs this year) but where would we have been without him the first year we made it? You forget he took over for Dansk and got us to the WCF, would we have made it that far without him. He did falter in the finals last year, but so did the rest of the team, shut down by a better defensive team, it happens. And this year, with the youth on this team and no trades at the deadline when London and Niagara loaded up, what did you people expect. From my vantage point I saw more back door goals than you can shake a stick at, more turnovers, more missed passes, skating that looked like a stroll in the park, nobody hitting and nobody home to get rid of the second shot after Williams got the first and/or second. I, for one, am proud of every player who was an Otter the past three seasons, they have made Erie a place other players will want to come to. With the new leadership you will eventually get your championship, just appreciate the effort by all the players on this team who have taken the fans this far.

No question Williams deserves credit. However he isn't an elite goaltender. Solid- yes. A lot better this year- yes. But still you need your goalie to be his best come playoffs. You can say a lot of London's goals were turnovers/powerplays or bad defense but Erie had a lot of chances in that series as well yet they didn't score because parsons made more big saves. I count off the top of my head- 5/6 soft goals he gave up in the series... Including a turnover in game 4 to Piccinich. I've said all year he is the worst goalie at playing the puck and somehow people disagree with that. He plays the puck far too much to begin with and about 50-60 times during the year he nearly turned it over and had it lead to a goal- finally in the big stage it did after Erie had played a solid period and were on the verge of only being down 1-0 after 1. Yes I give props to Williams. He turned it around this season and has been a great guy for the organization, nothing but class. I won't look back at 2013-14. Dansk collapsed and Williams was too young. But last year he was terrible for the team we had in front of him. He just needed to be solid and consistent with that offense but he couldn't. I will always believe trading for Gaunce in 13-14 was the wasted move that cost Erie valuable picks + Stephen Harper for last seasons run. Then maybe we go get a goalie and a 3-4 defender. Which I bet at least gets us to game 6/7 in the finals last season. This season Williams turned it around. I wonder if he got fatigued though as he started to slip later in year or if injury vs Saginaw in round 1 hurt him the rest of the way. I'll never know the answer. I don't blame Williams single handily but I do believe goaltending is one of the major things that kept Erie from winning a chamionship in this stretch and I hope Dave Brown and staff take note in the future. You can't have a bad goalie and win a title. You could probably have a solid one like Williams is this year and make a decent run with the type of offense like Erie last year/London this year, but in most cases you need a top goalie. The guy that steals games, steals momentum, Keeps things close when they really aren't. Williams isn't that and unfortunately for him it's mostly just physical- positioning and size. Too small of a goalie that was exposed simply because he often went down too soon- thus leading to goals like Tkachuk had in game 1.. Too many soft goals that he let in over the course of his career. I wish him nothing but the best but I'm excited to have a new face in net next year and hope Lawr can really gain confidence this summer and into the fall

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Well according to Victor Fernandes;
Knoblauch very happy here "like it here so much I can't see myself leaving"

Also Dave Brown said "I can bank on it that he will be the coach next season"

Knoblauch has had some pro considerations but according to Dave Brown the opportunity would have to be too good to pass up and he doesn't seem to want to make that leap yet. Makes sense considering he is young.. Really has a lot of time to craft his coaching more. I believe he has 1 year left on his contract? Not sure if EON or anyone knows that info or not. Either way awesome news. I thought he would be close to gone after last season getting talks and his awesome job this year but boy I love where this team is headed even more now. Goal now- get Knoblauch and staff on board and look towards building the young group up towards a run for 2017-18

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I would be willing to bet that Jim Waters made him an offer that he couldn't refuse $$$, and well deserved at that. In spite of what happened with London, he is one hell of a good coach. He respects his players, and they respect him. I sure hope that he is back next year.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I would be willing to bet that Jim Waters made him an offer that he couldn't refuse $$$, and well deserved at that. In spite of what happened with London, he is one hell of a good coach. He respects his players, and they respect him. I sure hope that he is back next year.

Potentially true. I believe last year his contract was up and they signed him for 2 year deal. I believe this coming year will be his last year on contract which could just mean he wants to finish out the contract he signed and will look elsewhere next year. Or as a young 37 year old with maybe a young family, he is just happy here for the time being and likes what he has built up and the depth and prospects are there to be competitive to great for the next 3 years or so

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Well I will have to say the picture of Corey Perry after the game 7 loss certainly eases the pain of losing to London....:laugh:

As a Pens fan, the fact that Andre Burakovsky had the first goal of the series eases that loss as well.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Agreed, Uncle Jackson. Hate to say it, but at least we have a hockey team to root for post-Otters. Hockey may be Canada's game, but the NHL seemed to forget that. What is wrong with the hockey universe when 2 FL teams, 2 NY teams, 2 PA teams, a TX team, and 3 CA teams make the playoffs? Never liked Perry or Kane for that matter. Go Pens!

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Really good to hear some of the quotes from Jake Lawr about approaching the summer. Sounds like he plans to grind all year and knows the job is open for the taking and he's going to go out and earn it. I do think part of his issue was consistent playing time. Having confidence this offseason knowing that he can get that playing time should benefit him and motivate him. When he was on his game this past year he was actually pretty good. He was either good or bad. Little in between in terms of his performances, just sorta hot or cold. Maybe it was lack of consistent playing time, maybe it was youth/inexperience.. Probably both. But I do think we saw glimpses of the talent and he really needs a big offseason. He's talking like he's ready to take that step

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Recent article answered the unknown question- Knoblauch finished the last year of his contract this season. Which means they will have to resign him first but right now it sounds like it's the plan to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad