Erie Otters 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Win the cup.... it sick being so close and letting it slip away. Erie and Windsor are deserving teams but I'm a london fan and as I respect both teams I was born to hate windsor..... So go Otters!

If you do lose its on Strome and Timpano

Lol well said. Both in hating the Spits and on Timpano.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Tough way to end the season. Windsor played a strong week of hockey and comes away as Memorial Cup Champs.

The OHL Title still means more to me but the Memorial Cup would have been nice.

Thank you to all the veterans who just played their last game for Erie. Darren Raddysh and Kyle Petit, the 5 year players. Warren Foegele, Dylan Strome, Alex DeBrincat, Anthony Cirelli, and Erik Cernak. Truly a remarkable and very memorable season.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If the Otters lose I see it being in part because of the coaches misplaced faith in their starting goalie. He was weak against the Knights and hasn't been a show stopper in the tourney. I was way more impressed with Murdaca, and maybe could have been just the surprise boost the team needed for this championship game.

I agree, I don't think Timpano played bad but he won't steal you any games.

Varadero8

May 25, 2017
Windsor has the recipe for success, only team to bid for hosting rights, win 4 games,. Next time just forfeit the playoffs.

Roost

Apr 6, 2017
Erie
First I wanna say congrats to the Spitfires for winning the memorial cup. It would have been awesome to see a 7 game series between these two teams.

This season will be one I'll always remember. This team well exceeded everyone's expectations including mine. I assumed it would be a rebuilding year but then they got the gift of Strome and Cernak back and then they were able to swing deals for some high impact players. I waited 15 years to watch them raise another OHL title and I'm so glad the guy who broke Brad Boyes's record was the captain to do it. They can always say they beat the best teams in the OHL and possibly the CHL to win that cup.

Thank you Otters for an amazing season and for giving me and my family some amazing memories!

Just don't wait another 15 years to win another!!!

P.S. LETS GO OTTERS!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Not a good look for Timpano. Let his emotions get the better of him definitely.

I'm glad Erie was able to cap off 4 straight 50 win seasons with a title. It would have been incredibly disheartening to come up short in that regard. I hope those players remember that tonight to help ease the sting of this loss.

Looking forward to somewhat of a fresh start next season. We'll see if Dave Brown can rebuild and put another title contender together in a few years.

ME16510

Jan 8, 2017
They looked completely flat in the third period. The only solid scoring chances came at the end. That being said, it was an incredible season. I'd much rather lose to a team that won their league championship though. I have nothing against Windsor, they didn't design the format. Just a bad feeling losing to a team that had a month to prepare and didn't battle through 4 rounds of OHL playoffs I guess. Congrats to the Windsor players nonetheless.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Glad to see timpano was a class act at the end poor sportsmanship

If you mean tossing his stick on the ice, cmon man. A 19 year old that just lost a national championship that didn't have the greatest tournament deserves a little leeway.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
They looked completely flat in the third period. The only solid scoring chances came at the end. That being said, it was an incredible season. I'd much rather lose to a team that won their league championship though. I have nothing against Windsor, they didn't design the format. Just a bad feeling losing to a team that had a month to prepare and didn't battle through 4 rounds of OHL playoffs I guess. Congrats to the Windsor players nonetheless.

Agreed. It's a broken system but Windsor took advantage of it and played very well. Erie looked pretty gassed tonight and had trouble generating high quality scoring chances.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I'll give Timpano a little slack for his frustration. After all, he probably knows he's going to end up being the goat in all of this....I'd be frustrated too!

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
If you mean tossing his stick on the ice, cmon man. A 19 year old that just lost a national championship that didn't have the greatest tournament deserves a little leeway.

I think it was more firing the stick at the camera guy that everyone is commenting on. Very emotional moment to be sure.
Congratulations to the Otters on a phenomenal season and a terrific three year run. Winning the league ranks much higher IMO, but the Memorial Cup is just painful for some reason. In time, you'll look back on this year with great memories of a fantastic dominant hockey club that you were all passionate fans of.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Tough way to end the season. Windsor played a strong week of hockey and comes away as Memorial Cup Champs.

The OHL Title still means more to me but the Memorial Cup would have been nice.

Thank you to all the veterans who just played their last game for Erie. Darren Raddysh and Kyle Petit, the 5 year players. Warren Foegele, Dylan Strome, Alex DeBrincat, Anthony Cirelli, and Erik Cernak. Truly a remarkable and very memorable season.

Its gotta be tough.
But Erie has had a great run for a few years n I hope it continues after a quick rebuild.
Spits got a free ride to the show, but did step up for a week.

IMO Erie is the OHLs best squad this year as proven thru the reg season and POs, but Windsor is the winner of a 1 week tourney with a free entry.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think it was more firing the stick at the camera guy that everyone is commenting on. Very emotional moment to be sure.
Congratulations to the Otters on a phenomenal season and a terrific three year run. Winning the league ranks much higher IMO, but the Memorial Cup is just painful for some reason. In time, you'll look back on this year with great memories of a fantastic dominant hockey club that you were all passionate fans of.

Didn't realize it was at the camera guy. I still give him leeway. I just don't see the reason for a camera to get shoved right in your face under such emotional circumstances. Not with the technology that could get the same picture from a distance. The kids are under the microscope enough already.

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
Its gotta be tough.
But Erie has had a great run for a few years n I hope it continues after a quick rebuild.
Spits got a free ride to the show, but did step up for a week.

IMO Erie is the OHLs best squad this year as proven thru the reg season and POs, but Windsor is the winner of a 1 week tourney with a free entry.

Get over yourself, who cares how the Spits got in, they beat each league champ once, and the OHL Champs twice. It's not like Windsor stood pat with a lackluster roster. They made trades during the season to improve their team and then had to stay sharp during a long layover. Ottawa did it in '99 after getting beat in the 2nd round.
Congrats to Erie on the league championship and a great run!!!!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Didn't realize it was at the camera guy. I still give him leeway. I just don't see the reason for a camera to get shoved right in your face under such emotional circumstances. Not with the technology that could get the same picture from a distance. The kids are under the microscope enough already.

Congrats to Erie on another win filled season and a well deserved OHL Championship that came with series wins over OS and London which looked like they may have been tougher opponents than the series champs from the W and the Q. Tonight will be mostly forgotten when they're hanging multiple banners up next year and there's a few going up. As far as Timpano....I see your point but if my 13yo tossed something at someone in frustration after a tough loss I'd be having some serious words with her followed by my own disciplinary action. After all the stuff I've seen get guys suspended I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't sit a few games to start next year. He threw his stick at someone on the ice during post game festivities.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Troy Timpano did offer an apology from his twitter account.

He should be suspended.

I think the excuse that it was a young mistake and that these guys are 16-20 so he shouldn't be punished is kind of stupid considering they play a game with penalties for breaking the rules. I'd expect him to sit a few in the fall.

Congrats to Erie on a solid season. Still won the OHL and that is a tough task itself. Good luck to the overagers and the graduating players.

Enjoy the summer, otters fans. Hope I can make it down for a ball game if anyone wants to pop into the stadium

https://twitter.com/timpanoo/status/869051668377341952

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Hey, congratulations to Windsor, well done, well deserved tournament win.

The boys looked worn out, just didn't have that extra step. Mistakes here & there cost them in the end. 95 or 99th game of the season? Time for a well deserved rest.

Nice to see Timpano step up & apologize right away, needs to give some of the "Leaders" in the world a lesson or 2. Real men apologize when they make a poor decision, just another life lesson that builds character.

Time for the rebuild. I imagine there will be a parade & some "good times" with banners hoisted, some retired numbers a little further down the road. This season ticket holder is renewing, maybe even getting an extra seat. 5 or 6 years until the next "generational talent" comes along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad