Eric Stephens

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I can attest to him responding sort of sarcastically or acting annoyed at various questions over the years on Twitter. It was fairly common and obvious. If you didn't see it, you either didn't follow him there or didn't pay attention.

But that could have just him being too easily irritated, as you need a little bit thicker skin to interact with the public on Twitter (or pretty much any other social media), as there are a lot of dunces and obnoxious people replying.

He's a good writer, and from what I've seen, seems like a pretty pleasant guy in person.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey Folks,

Please refrain from political discussions, which includes discussions around Race, Color, Sexuality, Gender, and etc.

Political discussions are not permitted on HF.

Thank you.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Met him once, nice enough guy. His writing has always been fine but the amount of info has always been sub-par. Hes fine for the casual fan, but the casual fan isnt on a message board arguing about how to pronounce a guys name or what prospects are going to get a vet traded.

OC Register Stephens was the best version of him, but its almost like he just got burnt out on Ducks hockey.

Derek Lee seems to be the guy we have always desired as a beat writer. Anymore ES just gives the Ducks a passing glance to fulfill his duties and get paid.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Met him once, nice enough guy. His writing has always been fine but the amount of info has always been sub-par. Hes fine for the casual fan, but the casual fan isnt on a message board arguing about how to pronounce a guys name or what prospects are going to get a vet traded.

OC Register Stephens was the best version of him, but its almost like he just got burnt out on Ducks hockey.

Derek Lee seems to be the guy we have always desired as a beat writer. Anymore ES just gives the Ducks a passing glance to fulfill his duties and get paid.
Let’s all just try and focus on Derrick lee and how great he is. I apologize for the part I’ve played of speaking about stephens when in fact he’s largely irrelevant now via ducks news etc( but he does seem like a good person and I wish him well) truly

Reactions: Ducks DVM

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
20 minutes before game time and...

20231021_123850.jpg

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The problem here as with much of society is that too many people think anybody with an opinion different from theirs is a hater. Hate is one of the most overused words today and it’s not a good thing.

People are allowed to dislike what you like. If you haven’t yet, you need to learn to live with it.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I actually thought Stephens stepped up his game when he went to the Athletic and before he was assigned the Kings beat. By no means am I a hater.

That being said, here are my thoughts which are in some cases criticisms:

1. He clearly has a lot of outside/non-hockey interests and he tends to post very few updates (on the athletic portal and other social media) related to the ducks while also posting randomly on twitter on topics unrelated to the ducks (like the one regarding the UCF 2 point conversion). So little to no "breaking news" or "inside information" on the ducks but all sorts of other non-hockey posts. I get that he doesn't view his role to be the breaking news guy (apparently), but it does create the impression he's not really devoting much time to the team coverage.

2. I think he actually does have pretty deep inside contacts with the ducks and throughout hockey. However, he doesn't want to share the information he gets - certainly he doesn't share it in real time. I have no doubt he has had off the record info regarding potential trades and was in the know on other rumors. Maybe it shows up in his "predictions" and "insights" in a long form article 5 days later - but even then you have to read between the lines. For fans like myself and others on HF, that's pretty frustrating.

3. His article are too safe. Each opinion is couched as a "maybe" and very little critical analysis of the team or its management. As an example, he had to have known Murray's reputation for being a jerk - yet he never wrote about that or for that matter any real criticisms of the ducks management decisions. The most we get are overly generous after the season player grades - not much during the season. That's a pretty stark contrast to most other reporters including those on the Athletic who offer game-to-game evaluations of the team.

4. His ducks production has really fallen off for the bandwidth reasons already discussed. Glad to support Derek Lee - he's been great.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Derek Lee has taken the mantle as Ducks go to reporter. Stephens' reporting for the Ducks has been lacking ever since he got put on dual duty.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Mooseduck? I haven't heard that name in years.

64e.jpeg
Is he the one that used to put “ another easy win for big George parros “ on every single hockeyfights fight a duck would have? 100% hit rate no matter if our guy got wrecked or not

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Also was a frequent poster on the official team boards. Still posts there, the last time I checked.
I think they might've been different people lol. the guy youre talking about is kinda like a superfan type, this Mod was absolutely tyrannical haha..

Also...just asked my buddy about this and he sent me this. Years ago, he asked Stephens about this Mooseduck lol.
1698178172442.png

Also, would not be surprised at all if Stephens reads the forums haha

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad