Recalled/Assigned: Eric O'Dell on waivers CRITICAL MOD WARNING POST #176

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Figured this is thread worthy (it's currently in the GDT). Many had hoped/suspected O'Dell would be on the Jets roster to start the season, it appears he will not be and is now on waivers, with the intent of sending him to St. John's (AHL).

I think O'Dell is a quality young player who has shown very well at the AHL level and showed well in his 30 NHL games last season. I think he is also a player who could play efficiently on the 4th line with Slater and Galiardi (moving up and down the line-up into the top 9 if need be).

I personally don't like this. We will see how it plays out tomorrow and he may very well clear with teams having their rosters near set, but knowing we're taking the risk of losing him while having two of Thorburn and Peluso here, even Halischuk, I'm just not a big fan.

Don't like it at all either. This is a case where Thornton's contract blocks a player. I'm not at all a fan of keeping two face punchers.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Correct me if I'm wrong but O'dell has not played at all this training camp due to injury. Is it possible they want O'dell sent down so when he comes back from injury he will get into a lineup and play meaningful minutes. This time of year it is easier to sneak players through. If O'dell was kept up after not seeing any game action at all during the pre-season where will he get the chance to get warmed up for the season, in the press box in Winnipeg or would it be better to see game action on the rock and be the first call up. Lowry may need to go down again who knows. Once again I find all the angst a little bit humourous.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
And this is what worries me about Maurice. I'll say this, this all may work out just fine, absolutely possible. This is not an overreaction on my part, but a point of caution, if you will, as someone who has had Paul Maurice as the coach of his team (Carolina, two separate occasions) before the Jets relocated back in 2011. O'Dell may get claimed and go on to do well elsewhere, or not. Or, he won't get claimed. However, Maurice worries me when he takes a "liking" to a player(s), and it appears he has with Thorburn and even Peluso.

I've already explained the whole Maurice/LaRose/Carolina debacle here the other day. Go ask Canes fans how they feel about how Maurice used/loved LaRose and see the reaction. Not good. Ask them how it effected the development, implementing and incorporating of young highly touted prospects such as Zach Boychuk and Zac Dalpe, both young players many will argue had their development squandered under Paul Maurice because he preferred "veteran" players who he "liked". Both players were pegged as top 6 NHL'ers. Boychuk was supposed to supplant Ray Whitney, Dalpe was touted as Carolina's next "Justin Williams", and for good reason. At the end of the day, Boychuk and Dalpe never panned out, but much of that in my own personal opinion, and many other Canes fans', is a lot of the doing of Paul Maurice. Sometimes there comes a point where you need to give offensive prospects a chance, not Chad LaRose, a career 3rd-4th liner you constantly use on the top line with Eric Staal or top 6, second line. And for poor ol' Chad LaRose, as good as that may have been for him, it was the beginning of the end for him in the same token. He could never live up to how Maurice used him. The relationship didn't end pretty, quite unfortunate in my opinion.

I am seeing a resemblance here and it's slightly concerning to me as someone who has had a Paul Maurice coached team before, on two separate occasions. To see Maurice warm up so much to Thorburn (and I am not even a big voice against the 3-year deal, albeit I don't like it) and Peluso, worries me. I have also since day one been open and willing to work with and see what Peluso can do.

Again, not intending to overreact, so please don't come at me with pitchforks and torches insinuating as such, or do, I don't care :)laugh:). I consider myself very even keeled, I am in support of Chevy and what he is doing (see signature), I like our direction even though some/many question it, but this is a red flag for me, personally. The situations are slightly different, but very much the same as Maurice used Chad LaRose in top 6 roles never giving Boychuk or Dalpe the opportunity needed (and deserved). To boot Carolina even went through a "re-tool" come trade deadline of the 2009-2010 season and into the 2010-11 season where they traded off/got rid of older players (Whitney, Cullen, Walker, Ward, Wallin, Yelle, Corvo, Alberts, Kostopoulos, Brind'Amour, etc) yet Maurice STILL opted to use his favorite, Chad LaRose, on the top 2 lines where at that time younger players needed and should have gotten the look and hands on coaching.

And now we've got Thorburn (and) Peluso possibly in the way of O'Dell, who, in my opinion could be an efficient 4th line player (with Slater and Galiardi) and ONE of Thorburn/Peluso with Haluschuk as the 13th/14th forwards. O'Dell could also shuffle up to the top 9, play centre or wing, etc. There is versatility there that otherwise Peluso and Thorburn don't provide. And from my viewings of O'Dell last year in his 30 NHL games, combined with his promising AHL play, I do believe he can be an efficient NHL'er be it 3rd or 4th line.

Lastly, I will close out by saying it's very well O'Dell doesn't get claimed, that would be great (for the Jets/St. John's). But I do have some concerns here, I've seen shades of this before from a Paul Maurice operated team (and I do like Maurice for the most part)...

Last edited:

boanst

May 25, 2013
There should be no surprise that a borderline player who was out the majority of camp is sent down.

No complaints from me.

Now if he isnt the first player up, then I will whine and complain.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
[mod]

Back on topic though - I don't think the reaction has been any where near what the Budaj situation was. It is a little puzzling to me in a sense that O'Dell won't be on the roster based on the others we have but it's just another minor thing that adds up I guess to make you wonder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If Chevy was going to be so dense as to consider every prospect that came over from Atlanta as poison why didn't he try to actually bring in some young guys he liked? It makes no sense as to why they have consistently marginalized and run out of town every prospect that came over from Atlanta. Just dumb.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I agree with Koonta. This is the time to send him down, as teams have their rosters set and are unlikely to claim a waiver pickup as they'd need to adjust their roster.

Also, as he's on a 2-way, I don't think he's eligible for assignment on conditioning so it has to be waivers. He'll play and get into game shape and then earn a call up when needed.

I think people who feel this is a slap in the face, or bad management, are looking at this situation with tunnel vision. This is a necessary move right now, and the best time to do it.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I agree with Koonta. This is the time to send him down, as teams have their rosters set and are unlikely to claim a waiver pickup as they'd need to adjust their roster.

Also, as he's on a 2-way, I don't think he's eligible for assignment on conditioning so it has to be waivers. He'll play and get into game shape and then earn a call up when needed.

I think people who feel this is a slap in the face, or bad management, are looking at this situation with tunnel vision. This is a necessary move right now, and the best time to do it.

Wrong. He is completely eligible for a conditioning stint.

How is sending down good players and keeping bad players a neccessary move?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wrong. He is completely eligible for a conditioning stint.

How is sending down good players and keeping bad players a neccessary move?

Well, my point was conditional on my thought that he is not eligible to be on a conditioning stint. If he were not eligible, then this is the best way to play him in. If he is eligible, and I'd like to see something official about it, then it's a bit more of a head scratcher.

I still maintain the position that I had last year - he's not good enough for the top 9 right now, and he contributes next to nothing on the 4th line, just like Thorburn and Peluso. The difference is that he's the cheapest one to send down. I find it highly unlikely he gets claimed.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If O'Dell hadn't gotten injured and was able to play well in TC, then we likely wouldn't be having this discussion.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well, my point was conditional on my thought that he is not eligible to be on a conditioning stint. If he were not eligible, then this is the best way to play him in. If he is eligible, and I'd like to see something official about it, then it's a bit more of a head scratcher.

I still maintain the position that I had last year - he's not good enough for the top 9 right now, and he contributes next to nothing on the 4th line, just like Thorburn and Peluso. The difference is that he's the cheapest one to send down. I find it highly unlikely he gets claimed.

Kings sent Brayden Schenn on a conditioning stint when he was on a 2-way and not even waiver eligible to Manchester.

Here's the CBA quote, he is eligible for a conditioning stint
13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning
Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen
(14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to
investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the
Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan
to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such
disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during
the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be
entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Not a single thing about one-way/two-way. As that has absolutely nothing to do with conditioning loans.

He's the 9th best forward on the team (8th really since Byfuglien is a D). Who's better in the top 9? Lowry? Halischuk? THORBURN? Come right on.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Fringe nhler gets sent to the ahl After being hurt all training camp and preseason.....
So why is it "bad asset management"?
Oh wait it's not.

johnnynucleo

SleepyBeepy
Aug 29, 2011
I don't care what others say, this is the epitome of "victim of the Chris Thorburn contract"

Reality is, Thorbs isn't really useful on the ice, either as an enforcer, or as an actual hockey player. He got his 3 year deal because mgmt felt he deserved the "reward" of the contract, but at the same time they are forced to keep another face puncher on the active roster (Peluso), because they know Thorbs is not up to the challenge to be in that role.

It's a wasted roster spot that he holds. Everyone knows it. The only reason Peluso is here is, is to fulfil the role that Thorbs SHOULD be doing, but can't.

Is O'Dell a legit top 9 NHL forward? Proably not. But his versatility at the NHL level alone should earn him a spot here. Is MGMT that desperate for a team guy/leader that they retain a guy who is essentially useless? He can't fight. He can't move up the lines as we saw last year (2nd line ?!?!). I understand guys play different roles on the team, but someone please explain to me exactly what Thorburn's role is, that can't be done by someone better, who is already in the Jets system? Being a team guy isn't enough.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Kings sent Brayden Schenn on a conditioning stint when he was on a 2-way and not even waiver eligible to Manchester.

Not a single thing about one-way/two-way. As that has absolutely nothing to do with conditioning loans.

He's the 9th best forward on the team (8th really since Byfuglien is a D). Who's better in the top 9? Lowry? Halischuk? THORBURN? Come right on.

Thorburn and Halischuk I don't consider top 9. I'd rather put Lowry in that spot on the 3rd, he played well in camp. He's better than Thorburn or Peluso as a player but I don't think the coaches want him in that spot. Get him playing minutes and call him up if Lowry falters.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm having a hard time getting all charged up because a 24 year old forward with a total of 30 NHL games and 3 career goals was sent to the minors after missing all of training camp. In Maurice's roster concept he was in competition with Halischuk, Galiardi and Lowry. Hard to send one of those guys away to make room for O'Dell, wouldn't you think?

Why is it so hard for people to understand that smaller forwards like O'Dell who didn't make the top-9 forwards in Maurice's eyes are not a replacement for Peluso or Thorburn. I might not like the idea of keeping face punchers, but suggesting that it is some evil plot by Maurice to keep good players out of the lineup seems a bit far-fetched.

The "anti-Atlanta bias"? Paul Postma - he is the best of a bad lot of prospects that came along with the Thrashers, and just made the roster over a highly touted 1st round pick of Chevy. Oh, and Ben Chiarot, who was much-maligned in these parts for hanging on for so long in pre-season is another TNSE favorite who happens to have been a Thrasher pick.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Figured this is thread worthy (it's currently in the GDT). Many had hoped/suspected O'Dell would be on the Jets roster to start the season, it appears he will not be and is now on waivers, with the intent of sending him to St. John's (AHL).

I think O'Dell is a quality young player who has shown very well at the AHL level and showed well in his 30 NHL games last season. I think he is also a player who could play efficiently on the 4th line with Slater and Galiardi (moving up and down the line-up into the top 9 if need be).

I personally don't like this. We will see how it plays out tomorrow and he may very well clear with teams having their rosters near set, but knowing we're taking the risk of losing him while having two of Thorburn and Peluso here, even Halischuk, I'm just not a big fan. I do not see where those three players offer the versatility and efficiency of O'Dell as a forward in general, who can play centre or wing, but also one who can move up and down into the top 9 or settle in on the 4th line and provide quality minutes even in a small role.

Not to mention Lowry. Even granted the Lowry love is justified (which I don't) Lowry could be sent down freely while O'Dell is given the opportunity that he has shown he merits. At this time of year he may well squeak through waivers but that won't make this a good move. O'Dell is probably a better player than several who will remain here. We could argue all day (no, week) exactly who should be on that list and why but I think almost all of us would agree that there are some who should.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'll fall into the Guerzy camp on this one.

I see how the Jets tried to play this though, in the sense that they waited until camp was over and rosters were largely set throughout the league to minimize the chances of O'Dell being picked up.

It's a bit aggravating with O'Dell's injury being listed as undisclosed though, since we haven't a clue what's wrong with him (or at least I don't). But if he's legitimately hurt, couldn't we put him on IR? Or I suppose that leaves him at a point where maybe we need to send him down later when he's healthy and a more attractive waiver option. So in that sense it's somewhat logical to send him now - damaged goods, 4th liner not worth the pickup? I hope so, I like O'Dell.

He also has to come back though and play 50+ games (don't remember the exact number of games) or he ends up like Redmond and is UFA instead of retaining RFA status. The amount of games he gets is sure going to be an indication of what the Jets ultimately think of him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seriously . Is this going to be like the over reaction to the trade this week? I HIGHLY doubt he gets claimed , and he isn't a third liner ( for sure at this point ) and what he may bring as a fourth liner wasn't deemed enough by the Jets . When he gets sent to St.John's that will be reaffirmed by the rest of the league.

He's a depth tweener that has a chance, a small one , to improve on that , if not he'll help the Ice Caps be a winning team .

Him playing in St.John's is best scenario imo , if he plays well and improves he can be called up , or in an injury situation he provides an option.

I disagree with the bolded. If you had said he is not yet a proven 3rd liner I would have agreed but he hasn't been given the opportunity.

johnnynucleo

SleepyBeepy
Aug 29, 2011
I'm having a hard time getting all charged up because a 24 year old forward with a total of 30 NHL games and 3 career goals was sent to the minors after missing all of training camp. In Maurice's roster concept he was in competition with Halischuk, Galiardi and Lowry. Hard to send one of those guys away to make room for O'Dell, wouldn't you think?

Exactly why he's a victim of the Chris Thorburn contract. There should be room for all of Hali, Galiardi, Lowry, and O'Dell. One has to go while Thorbs wastes a roster spot.

If O'Dell gets picked up off waivers, and down the road when injuries set in, people will be sorry a versatile guy like O'Dell is gone, while the coach promotes Thorbs to the 2nd line.

On a side note, I would have personally sent Hali down before O'Dell but ODell being injured I realize would make that a dumb decision to start the year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Halischuk has had a better career and a good camp. How do you look him in the eye and tell him he lost his position to a guy with 30 games NHL experience and 3 career goals who missed training camp? Answer: you don't. I thought that we didn't want older players without as much upside "blocking" young prospects. Lowry had a terrific camp and has been improving very fast through his development. I much prefer to see him on the 3rd line than O'Dell for a bunch of reasons.

If O'Dell is that desirable, I say trade him. He doesn't have a long-term future with the franchise. Instead, I am pretty sure we'll see him clear waivers.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If O'Dell hadn't gotten injured and was able to play well in TC, then we likely wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think you are right. Btw what was the "upper body injury"? Maybe there is more here than meets the eye.............in any case I can't see him being claimed.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Gee It's not like he's being banished to Siberia. My opinion is that he hasn't had any chance to play during pre-season and by going to the Rock and getting into game action where he can help the farm team is better than having him up here sitting in the press box as he comes off his injury. However if a forward goes down and if O'Dell is tearing it up in the A and they instead promote one of our fourth liners up a notch and O'Dell is not recalled than I'll be upset at that point..I don't want Thorburn on anything other than the 4th line. O'Dell I think should get into some game action this season before he is slotted into the big club.

Anyway I like the different opinions and the only thing which has me thinking of leaving this site for awhile is the very, very, very annoying pop up adds. I absolutely hate having a Trojan Condom pop up into my face every few seconds (that sounds bad) ....have very litle patience remaining as I seem to be closing these ads every second or two. arrgghhhhhh!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad