Waived: Eric Fehr placed on waivers by Pittsburgh (cleared)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No takers for Fehr at $2mil? Just seems so dang odd...especially considering the recent Burrows trade.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
a 3.75 million dollar 4th liner...
raw

Yes, doesn't make sense in the bigger picture but for the rest of this season, unless we need the cap space for something else, it really doesn't matter what his cap hit is since it's the last year anyway.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Somebody make me a gif of that scene in Independence Day where the military nukes the alien ship, only to have them report "target remains", with no damage done. Superimpose Kunitz's face on top of the ship.

Somebody do that right now.

I smell playoff avatar material...

ObsessedCreative*

Yes, doesn't make sense in the bigger picture but for the rest of this season, unless we need the cap space for something else, it really doesn't matter what his cap hit is since it's the last year anyway.

When you have about 2 or 3 WBS kids who can replace his minutes at a fraction of the cost and DO everything he does better to help you win games, it certainly DOES matter.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
When you have about 2 or 3 WBS kids who can replace his minutes at a fraction of the cost and DO everything he does better to help you win games, it certainly DOES matter.

You made the post that the high cap cost was the issue for a 4th liner in response to a post that he was fine as a 4th liner as if you agreed that he is good enough... Now you are making it that he isn't good enough. Make up your mind

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Cap hit only matters if you're actually going to use it. So the fact that we do (or may have) some WBS kids who are cheaper is irrelevant. And as much as I'm not a fan of Kunitz, I'd question whether we have 1 player currently in WBS who is better then Kunitz, let alone 2 or 3.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
No takers for Fehr at $2mil? Just seems so dang odd...especially considering the recent Burrows trade.

I was thinking not burrows but the Boyle trade. If played at center I feel that fehr could be considered in the same ball park as Boyle value wise.

But at center fehr is anot effective player, but he was forced to play wing these past two years and he's looked invisible alot at that position. I've been saying for weeks, if the Pens are among Rowney at center over fehr they should trade fehr instead of scratching him.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
This move makes no sense if the Pens don't make another trade. Fehr at center is a good bottom 6 player, at wing this year he doesn't do much. Whoever claims him to be a center won't be disappointed imo.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Would the oilers claim him? Need help on the dot - How's his speed?

He can skate. Nothing special but he can skate. When he was moved to center due to injury for a short period he looked much better than he does at wing. If a team has room and doesn't have a great bottom six I think it's a no-brainer really.

ObsessedCreative*

Cap hit only matters if you're actually going to use it. So the fact that we do (or may have) some WBS kids who are cheaper is irrelevant. And as much as I'm not a fan of Kunitz, I'd question whether we have 1 player currently in WBS who is better then Kunitz, let alone 2 or 3.

We SHOULD be using every ounce of cap for depth and improvements...

Josh Archibald
Oskar Sundqvist
Dominik Simon

Are easily leaps and bounds better in all areas over Kunitz at this part of his career.

Not to mention OS and DS can also fil in at C if need be as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Josh Archibald
Oskar Sundqvist
Dominik Simon

Are easily leaps and bounds better in all areas over Kunitz at this part of his career.

Archibald and Simon are NOT currently better than Kunitz. I know most of us do not think that highly of him, but he is currently a better hockey player than either of those two. Kunitz has as many goals in the NHL as Simon does in the AHL (and only two less than Arichbald does in the AHL). These are nice young prospects who might be decent NHL players in the near future - but they're not there yet.

Sundqvist is really the only guy in WBS who might challenge Kunitz, and he hasn't played an NHL game all year, so even then it's questionable.

And again, cap space only matters if you're going to use it. IF you're not, then the fact that we could replace Kunitz with someone cheaper doesn't matter one bit.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh

Josh Archibald
Oskar Sundqvist
Dominik Simon

As far as a 4th line winger Kunitz provides some sandpaper that those 3 dont. I'd rather have a veteran with some grit like Kunitz on the 4th line than any of those 3. Also, what Kunitz is making is a lot of a 4th liner but when he signed he was still a scorer. He's just older now and in the last year of that deal. So it doesn't really effect anything if he's on the 4th line making more than a 4th liner should. If the Pens need the cap space for a big move this season then they will make the room with the Fehr thing plus Daley on IR. And Kunitz's contract is up after the year so they can use that space elsewhere.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Fehr's been in Sullivan's doghouse off and on for a while but he's a solid veteran player that doesn't make a ton of money. I'd certainly claim him if I were a team that had spare cap space and needed depth.

Not the worst thing in the world if he isn't claimed either. He scored two huge goals in the playoffs last year. One was the GWG late in game two against Washington and another was an insurance goal late in game 4 against San Jose to give the Pens a commanding 3-1 series lead.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Archibald and Simon are NOT currently better than Kunitz. I know most of us do not think that highly of him, but he is currently a better hockey player than either of those two. Kunitz has as many goals in the NHL as Simon does in the AHL (and only two less than Arichbald does in the AHL). These are nice young prospects who might be decent NHL players in the near future - but they're not there yet.

Sundqvist is really the only guy in WBS who might challenge Kunitz, and he hasn't played an NHL game all year, so even then it's questionable.

And again, cap space only matters if you're going to use it. IF you're not, then the fact that we could replace Kunitz with someone cheaper doesn't matter one bit.

Sundqvist and Kunitz are two totally different players. Oscar can't provide everything Kunitz does. STL wanted him in a potential deal for Shattenkirk along with a first and the Pens said no. Sundqvist will be our 4C next year at least as Cullen probably retires. Oscar's game has come along way this year in the AHL. He is scoring which is something he didn't have on his resume before. I'm glad we didn't trade him for a rental.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Honestly surprised JR couldn't find a taker for a mid-round pick for the guy...obviously this doesn't preclude Fehr being dealt tomorrow, we've seen players get dealt after being waived before, but it is telling of how low his value has fallen.

He's a solid fourth line center for sure, but he's struggled mightily on the wings and is making a bit too much for a 4th line center role that is already filled by Cullen when the centers are healthy. He's still a hard-working veteran who chips in solidly well, but that extra contract year undoubtedly makes it tough to find a buyer as he's regressed a good bit these past couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad