Waived: Eric Fehr placed on waivers by Pittsburgh (cleared)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think he'll get claimed. He's a big, defensively responsible center who won a cup last year and has a history of putting up big numbers as recently as 2 years ago. I think a team who struck out on Hanzal may claim him as a consolation prize. I could see Nashville picking him up.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Someone should pick him up and throw him into the expansion mix. Aren't teams supposed to expose two forwards with a certain amount of games played?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He's been solid for the pens on the 4th line. I think he could help some team somewhere.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils could likely claim.

Basically gutted their NHL center depth after trading Kalinin and Fiddler. If Josefson is out for a while, they need another center.

He'd also fill our expansion draft 40/70 spot with DSP.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Don't think someone could claim him and then trade him if another team put a claim in for him as well. If you can it would make sense for Colorado to pick him up and retain salary and get a second for him

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Most likely means they are gearing up for a deal. Hansen and his 2.5 salary would fit that spot nicely.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Pens save a million on the cap by doing this... must be hoping the slim chance he goes unclaimed will pan out so he is available to them later or theyd have dumped him for a pittance somewhere... they have 4th line center depth for miles...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Most likely means they are gearing up for a deal. Hansen and his 2.5 salary would fit that spot nicely.

Hansen does nothing for the Penguins, that's just a waste of assets when you consider the Caps just added Shattenkirk.

Daley is also on LTIR now, that's an extra $4.5-$5.5 million in open space now.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Fehr has been waived. Has one more year left after this season at 2m per.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...waivers-nhl-trade-rumors/stories/201702280258

Been a very good 4C for us, but he has been forced to the wing where he isn't as good.

Shocked by this. Surely given some of the prices being paid, that we couldn't get something for him? Because I agree that he'll likely be claimed.

I wonder if this is due to what management has seen from Rowney/Sundqvist as a potential #4C replacement if needed combined with Fehr's cap hit... or just opening up options for other moves...

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Shocked by this. Surely given some of the prices being paid, that we couldn't get something for him? Because I agree that he'll likely be claimed.

I wonder if this is due to what management has seen from Rowney/Sundqvist as a potential #4C replacement if needed combined with Fehr's cap hit... or just opening up options for other moves...

Well Sundqvist is definitely the guy who will take over as of next season

Maybe Cullen comes back for 1 more and JR would rather him at 1 million than Fehr at 2?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Either bumped by other players or management is making room. He could still be serviceable to teams needing a guy to centre their bottom line.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
why waive him tho and not trade him for a a mid or late pick depending on his worth? why not keep him for a run either was he not much help last year?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We put Daley on LTIR too. We have like 4m in cap space to add if Fehr clears

We do not gain any cap space if Fehr clears waivers. Him clearing waivers just means we're free to send him to the minors, not that we have or that we have to.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
This is the sort of pick up a rebuilding team (see my Vancouver Canucks) should be all over. Fehr adds a veteran to the line up. Isn't too expensive, might entice LV at the expansion draft and gives a team an asset to potentially move at next year's trade deadline. Come on VanCity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad