EP40 Charging Penalty

Charging or no?

• Total voters

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
The only argument that it isn’t that can be made is the “jumps into” argument of the rule. Posted below is the rule for reference.

I argue that jumping up to hit a player is indeed jumping into.

-he initiated reverse hit
-he left the ice well prior to contact

Therefore it is a charging penalty by definition

IMG_0555.jpeg

Last edited:

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
The only argument that it isn’t than can be made is the “jumps into” argument of the rule. Posted below is the rule for reference.

-he left ice contact prior to contact

Therefore it is a penalty

View attachment 872479
This is the correct answer, just because “he didn’t initiate contact” doesn’t mean he didn’t jump into him and it is legal.

Are we really good to set the precedent that you can jump a foot in the air to take a hit lol

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
The only argument that it isn’t that can be made is the “jumps into” argument of the rule. Posted below is the rule for reference.

-he left ice contact prior to contact

Therefore it is a penalty

View attachment 872485
To me this reads you have to skate and jump into someone, or charge the opponent.

Otherwise any hit where a player skates is a charge…

You keep saying this. You have yet to show a similar situation.
Give me the criteria you want to see.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
To me this reads you have to skate and jump into someone, or charge the opponent.

Otherwise any hit where a player skates is a charge…

Give me the criteria you want to see.
To the first part, “jumps into in any manner” in this context is why I believe it’s a charge by definition.

To the bolded, a hit that was initiated where a player leaves their feet intentionally before contact. And yes I know there’ll be some out there where the call is missed, it’s still a charge. And likely not the same circumstance (reverse hit).

Reactions: Just Linda

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
To the first part, “jumps into in any manner” in this context is why I believe it’s a charge by definition.

To the bolded, a hit that was initiated where a player leaves their feet intentionally before contact. And yes I know there’ll be some out there where the call is missed, it’s still a charge.
So the problem is you think EP40 initiated the hit, and I don’t… Foegele initiated the contact. EP40 owns the ice he is in.

Then at the end you say you won’t even accept it if I find a similar situation, so what the hell is the point?

You going to find another one where it was called for every instance I locate? This is ridiculous.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Play it at live speeds guys.

Pettersson literally plays the puck a second before....

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
So the problem is you think EP40 initiated the hit, and I don’t… Foegele initiated the contact. EP40 owns the ice he is in.

Then at the end you say you won’t even accept it if I find a similar situation, so what the hell is the point?

You going to find another one where it was called for every instance I locate? This is ridiculous.
Ep40 does own the ice he’s in, yes. He’s also allowed to get hit in that owned ice. Protecting himself illegally does not change this. As I’ve argued with you a thousand times: You CAN NOT LEAVE YOUR FEET PRIOR TO CONTACT ON ATTEMTING A HIT.

Why did he leave his feet? Is he safer in the air than on the ice?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Ep40 does own the ice he’s in, yes. He’s also allowed to get hit in that owned ice. Protecting himself illegally does not change this. As I’ve argued with you a thousand times: You CAN NOT LEAVE YOUR FEET PRIOR TO CONTACT ON A HIT.

Technically no one's feet is touching the ice anyways.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

-he left the ice well prior to contact

Therefore it is a charging penalty by definition

View attachment 872485
He jumped straight up, not into the guy.

And how many charging penalties should be called per playoff game if "skating into" another player is charging?

Reactions: Ace of Hades

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Ep40 does own the ice he’s in, yes. He’s also allowed to get hit in that owned ice. Protecting himself illegally does not change this. As I’ve argued with you a thousand times: You CAN NOT LEAVE YOUR FEET PRIOR TO CONTACT ON ATTEMTING A HIT.

So then a hit where a defender jumps along the boards before being hit meets your criteria no?

Yes.. he is safer when jumping … you’re not arguing that are you?

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Ep40 does own the ice he’s in, yes. He’s also allowed to get hit in that owned ice. Protecting himself illegally does not change this. As I’ve argued with you a thousand times: You CAN NOT LEAVE YOUR FEET PRIOR TO CONTACT ON A HIT.

Maybe I’ve missed it as I haven’t followed the other thread. Does anyone have any examples of jumping on a reverse hit being called a charging penalty?

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
He jumped straight up, not into the guy.

And how many charging penalties should be called per playoff game if "skating into" another player is charging?
It certainly isn’t a normal circumstance, reverse hits usually have more movement towards the player no doubt so there’s not a lot of precedent. But he knew he was going to get hit and decided to jump up and hit him instead. There’s no other reason to jump here. He’s not trying to get out of the way.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Maybe I’ve missed it as I haven’t followed the other thread. Does anyone have any examples of jumping on a reverse hit being called a charging penalty?
No, because I imagine it's never been called.

People need to step back and realize that the NHL rules are vague for a reason, to give officials the leeway to call whatever they want.

But if you do step back and think about the English language just a bit, the charging rule probably has something to do with a player charging at another. When a player jumps into a hit while "charging" at another player (see: Tom Wilson) it is a penalty.

Likewise, in basketball, a "charge" (technically a player control foul) is when a player moves into the spot than a defender has established. You cannot be called for a "charge" for jumping straight up.

Reactions: EVDV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad