EOJHL Regular Season Underway

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
At least in the Valley Division, it looks like the Perth Blue Wings have some scoring power.....very very early but it is looking like they are the team to beat.

You were right, the teams are beating up Perth Blue Wings pretty good.

7-2 loss tonight. 41. Shots each.

Goal tending may be the issue.

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
It was the issue today for Perth....Perth held the edge in the first but the Arnprior goalie came up big....but the first two shots on Perth's goalie went in.

Ottawa South starting to roll. I heard Collins had a great game and had the young Renfrew D scrambling all night.

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario
It was the issue today for Perth....Perth held the edge in the first but the Arnprior goalie came up big....but the first two shots on Perth's goalie went in.

Ottawa South starting to roll. I heard Collins had a great game and had the young Renfrew D scrambling all night.

Was not there to see the goals, but Jeremy Wright is a very good goaltender, maybe an off day but he is definately one fo the better ones in Jr.B and has the track record to prove it.
Perth is a team that loves to score goals and when they don't they get frustrated, they typically do not play alot of team defence in the last couple of years and frequently give up 40+ shots.
When they get scoring goals they have a line up that will score alot of them and can score them in bunches.

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Perth's defensive play was weak yesterday, given up a number of odd man rushes and they could not handle Arnprior's top line who scored 5 of Arnprior's 7 goals. I should have said, defensive play was the difference as opposed to the goal tending, as he was hung out several times by his team's defensive play, but the first two shots on him were goals and this did take the wind out of Perth who were dominating to that point.

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario
Perth's defensive play was weak yesterday, given up a number of odd man rushes and they could not handle Arnprior's top line who scored 5 of Arnprior's 7 goals. I should have said, defensive play was the difference as opposed to the goal tending, as he was hung out several times by his team's defensive play, but the first two shots on him were goals and this did take the wind out of Perth who were dominating to that point.

Bad goals as we all know can kill momentum and change it in a hurry.

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Was not there to see the goals, but Jeremy Wright is a very good goaltender, maybe an off day but he is definately one fo the better ones in Jr.B and has the track record to prove it.
Perth is a team that loves to score goals and when they don't they get frustrated, they typically do not play alot of team defence in the last couple of years and frequently give up 40+ shots.
When they get scoring goals they have a line up that will score alot of them and can score them in bunches.

Perhaps Jeremy Wright is off to a slow start. With a GAA of 4.26 and a .876 save % he is not an elite Jr. B goalie. At this early stage in the season, he is just average.

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario
Perhaps Jeremy Wright is off to a slow start. With a GAA of 4.26 and a .876 save % he is not an elite Jr. B goalie. At this early stage in the season, he is just average.

You are basing his status on very early season numbers on a team that plays very little defence. His stats at this point are average with an .895 save %.
However his track record in Jr.B says he is an elite tender for that level. Multiple all star and prospect games, Valley Division's top goalie once for sure maybe twice.
His stats may not be eye popping but they are in large part to the style that team plays now. Last year and the start of this year they are giving up 40+ shots a game.
Put him on a team that plays some defence and his GAA drops to the low 3's where it was the previous 2 seasons. IMO.

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Put him on a team that plays some defence and his GAA drops to the low 3's ....IMO.

That is true for many goalies in this league.

It is the "jungle" and D is non existent at times and you see many 15 goals in total games.

Jr B is a terrific league to develop goalies even on a bad team. There is nothing better thab 40+ shots per game with weak D.

Last edited:

hawxfan

Sep 20, 2012
That is true for many goalies in this league.

It is the "jungle" and D is non existent at times and you see many 15 goals in total games.

Jr B is a terrific league to develop goalies even on a bad team. There is nothing better thab 40+ shots per game with weak D.

Agreed, but how many goalies from the jungle from last year are now at CJ...only two or three at best. McLaughlin from Jets with Jr. Sens, but I'm hearing he's on his way back to Jets as Millen has arrived, Edwardson at Cornwall, Couvrette at Carleton Place as well as LaForest at Carelton Place....not a lot considering two of the last three guys may be back in the jungle within a month, just sayin....

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
Agreed, but how many goalies from the jungle from last year are now at CJ...only two or three at best. McLaughlin from Jets with Jr. Sens, but I'm hearing he's on his way back to Jets as Millen has arrived, Edwardson at Cornwall, Couvrette at Carleton Place as well as LaForest at Carelton Place....not a lot considering two of the last three guys may be back in the jungle within a month, just sayin....

That is a lot of goalies to move on from jr.b to jr.a in a single year. Four is very impressive considering there were around 10 returning goalies in the league. Making 4/14 open spots taken by jr.b goalies.

I would also like to state Jeremy Wright is definetely a top 5 goalie in the league. You cannot base on the start of this season. As with Jr.B alot of veteran players start slow and finish strong as they get into shape.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes but I believe he played part of a season in the CCHL first, there are a lot of guys that went jr.b to junior a in one season and then started in major junior the next.

Eric O'dell
Paul Byron
Jack Nevins
Claude Giroux ( i think )

O'Dell and Byron played full seasons for Ottawa West. Giroux never played Jr B. Clarence Creek has produced some very good players Benoit Pouliot and Jon Matsumoto come to mind.

Last edited:

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario

We should also not forget Jacob Blair as back up for the 67's in the CHL. Congrats to Jacob. He works very hard and has a bright future.

That would leave one former Jr. B goalie from last year in the CCHL.

Perhaps you are right. Both CPC and the Colts are still carrying 3 puck stoppers. It will be interesting.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
We should also not forget Jacob Blair as back up for the 67's in the CHL. Congrats to Jacob. He works very hard and has a bright future.

That would leave one former Jr. B goalie from last year in the CCHL.

Perhaps you are right. Both CPC and the Colts are still carrying 3 puck stoppers. It will be interesting.

What about Ottawa. Millen is still "Active" but has not played. Is he coming back this year, and if so that's another team with three.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
What about Ottawa. Millen is still "Active" but has not played. Is he coming back this year, and if so that's another team with three.

I was on the bench in a Montreal tournament two years ago and had the privilege of Jacob in nets for us. We were playing against Bill Comrie's select team, including Adam Erne and Eric Comrie. (both on the newly release central scouting report)

Anyway...we got shellacked and Jacob was still amazing and never once complained. Small window I know, but I was very impressed with the character of this young man.

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
I was on the bench in a Montreal tournament two years ago and had the privilege of Jacob in nets for us. We were playing against Bill Comrie's select team, including Adam Erne and Eric Comrie. (both on the newly release central scouting report)

Anyway...we got shellacked and Jacob was still amazing and never once complained. Small window I know, but I was very impressed with the character of this young man.

It does not take long to figure out if someone has 'character'. He is a quality guy. I believe he gets that quality from his father (although I never met his mother)

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Another Test for the Packers

Taylor Collins returns to Arnprior tonight to face his old team...should be a great crowd out for this one.

PG

Feb 2, 2012
Gatineau 4 Metcalfe 3

Very entertaining game in Gatineau Friday night....Jets outshot the Mustangs 45-25, great chances and goaltending at both ends

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Teams to beat

I think we need a new list of teams to beat....I had included Perth in my initial list...I have seen them loose 8-2 to Armprior and 7-3 to Renfrew so they are now off my list. Gatineau, Charlan, West Port, Casselmen all seem to be doing well. In the Valley, I think it will be tight all season. Jr A teams will be sorting out their teams soon, so many Jr B rosters will change again.

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
I think we need a new list of teams to beat....I had included Perth in my initial list...I have seen them loose 8-2 to Armprior and 7-3 to Renfrew so they are now off my list. Gatineau, Charlan, West Port, Casselmen all seem to be doing well. In the Valley, I think it will be tight all season. Jr A teams will be sorting out their teams soon, so many Jr B rosters will change again.

Here are my updated predictions:
Metro:
Gatineau
Ottawa South
Ottawa West
Clarence
Metcalfe

Valley:
Arnprior
Perth
Stit
Renfrew
Almonte
Shawville

Rideau
Athens
West
Gan
Tikis
SG

St.Lawrence:
Casselman
Char-lan
Winchester
Alexandria/ Morrisburg
Akwesasne

Roofus

Jul 22, 2012
Here are my updated predictions IMO:
Metro:
Gatineau
Ottawa West
Ottawa South
Clarence
Metcalfe

Valley:
Arnprior
Stit
Perth
Renfrew
Almonte
Shawville

Rideau
Athens - vet team
Gan- continued building on last yr
West - lost a key 21 yr old to injury and the beginning of a rebuild
Tikis- some key returning players and key trades
SG - seem to be in a rebuild mode always

St.Lawrence:
Casselman -. Still class of Divi,and in constant Player improving mode
Winchester -coach is turning this team around quick
Morrisburg - new Coach with NHL experience ,new team attidude
Char-LAN -- very young team,with inexperienced goaltending, time will tell how the handle losing
Alexandria - complete rebuild yr and its a mess
Akwesasne - same as last yr , inexperienced coaching

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad