EOJHL Regular Season Underway

PG

Feb 2, 2012
New to province and league:p:....anyone interested in chatting about the "EO"? Who are the teams to beat in 2012/13, and given the recent success of players being promoted to the OHL and QJMHL directly from the EOJHL, who are the young stars to watch this season?

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
New to province and league:p:....anyone interested in chatting about the "EO"? Who are the teams to beat in 2012/13, and given the recent success of players being promoted to the OHL and QJMHL directly from the EOJHL, who are the young stars to watch this season?

Which players have gone directly to Major Junior A? I can't think of any.

Oops. I guess Jacob Blair from Ottawa West to 67's, but he should have made Gloucester last year anyway.

PG

Feb 2, 2012
Moving Up

Just the ones I am aware of.....Jake Primeau to Moncton Wildcats (Arnprior) Nevin Guy to Ottawa 67's (Winchester), and Belding to Gatineau Olympiques (also Win)....maybe more?

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
Yes but I believe he played part of a season in the CCHL first, there are a lot of guys that went jr.b to junior a in one season and then started in major junior the next.

Eric O'dell
Paul Byron
Jack Nevins
Claude Giroux ( i think )

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Teams to Beat

At least in the Valley Division, it looks like the Perth Blue Wings have some scoring power.....very very early but it is looking like they are the team to beat.

PG

Feb 2, 2012
At least in the Valley Division, it looks like the Perth Blue Wings have some scoring power.....very very early but it is looking like they are the team to beat.

The league looks like a blend of 19-20 yr olds playing while going to college/university and 16/17 yr olds still chasing the dream

clear the track

Jun 1, 2008
The Jump

Yes but I believe he played part of a season in the CCHL first, there are a lot of guys that went jr.b to junior a in one season and then started in major junior the next.

Eric O'dell
Paul Byron
Jack Nevins
Claude Giroux ( i think )

Paul Byron did not play Jr A as a 16 year old. Jason Clarke (Jr. Sens) thought he could not stand the physical punishment. He played entire year with West and along with Sammy Magic and crew won the EOJBHL championship. He went to Gatineau the next season.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Giroux played with the GRADS as a 16 year old the went to Gatineau the following year.

I am sure if someone did the work they would find alot of players that have played Jr. B in this leaque and have gone on to higher levels of hockey. Matt Carkner (Winchester) comes to mind.

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
Paul Byron did not play Jr A as a 16 year old. Jason Clarke (Jr. Sens) thought he could not stand the physical punishment. He played entire year with West and along with Sammy Magic and crew won the EOJBHL championship. He went to Gatineau the next season.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Giroux played with the GRADS as a 16 year old the went to Gatineau the following year.

I am sure if someone did the work they would find alot of players that have played Jr. B in this leaque and have gone on to higher levels of hockey. Matt Carkner (Winchester) comes to mind.

Ianother is Dave Ellett who played for CP Kings a number of years ago.....played D in the NHL for several seasons

moko00

Dec 24, 2007

Marc Savard played in Metcalfe as a 15 yr old and then went on to Oshawa in the OHL.

Roofus

Jul 22, 2012
Jessie Played for Winchester Hawks for a year before moving on to Jr A and playing for the Cornwall Colts

Roofus

Jul 22, 2012
Two other players are Eric Cole one season with the Gananoque Islanders in 1996
And Andy Sutton also played in Gan

Roofus

Jul 22, 2012
Jimmy Howard Played when was 15 for the Westport Rideaus
Kent McDonell Char-Lan Rebels as a 15 yr old , 16 yr old Cornwall Colts , 17 yr old Guelph Storm ,Columbus Blue Jakets

Last edited:

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Too Early to Tell

I don't think any leagues' rosters turn over more than a Jr B team's roster on a year to year basis. I look in the Valley Division and I am sure if any one team has more than 8 returning players that would be alot. All this to say is that it is too early to talk about top teams as what a team did in a previous year has little bearing as the players change so much....however in the Metro Divison, South Ottawa appears to be putting together a stroing team with the addition of Taylor Collins. In the Valley Division I still like Perth although they took it on the chin from Ottawa West. I think by the time the EOJHL Showcase rolls around in mid October, the contenders and pretenders will be sorted out.

PG

Feb 2, 2012
I don't think any leagues' rosters turn over more than a Jr B team's roster on a year to year basis. I look in the Valley Division and I am sure if any one team has more than 8 returning players that would be alot. All this to say is that it is too early to talk about top teams as what a team did in a previous year has little bearing as the players change so much....however in the Metro Divison, South Ottawa appears to be putting together a stroing team with the addition of Taylor Collins. In the Valley Division I still like Perth although they took it on the chin from Ottawa West. I think by the time the EOJHL Showcase rolls around in mid October, the contenders and pretenders will be sorted out.

I gather that from the couple of teams I have been close to this year......One of the coaches remarked that the rosters will evolve even more as additional JR a players are "returned" to JR B......Why would that be happening now as most of the Major JR and JR A teams would have set rosters, no?

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR

Fascinating. Maybe I should have a look at one of these games some day.

Yeah, I remember the story about Paul Byron having something to do with an Olympiques scout who just happened to be at some Junior B game in Ottawa. He saw Paul Byron play, tracked him down, and went to his house. When Byron opened the door, the scout said something to the effect of 'oh, we're here to see your brother Paul.' 'I'm Paul!,' Byron said. They mistook him for a younger brother because of how young he looked. :laugh:

hockeyphun

Sep 16, 2012
Lots of good players coming out of this league.
As mentioned before Paul Bryon (Calgary) Eric Cole (Montreal) Jimmy Howard (Detroit) Andy Sutton (Anahiem) Jesse Winchester (Ottawa) and don't forget Beniot Pouliot (Boston), some decet AHL'ers like Jon Matsumoto, Eric O'Dell, Erick Selleck, Mark Fraser, Scott Pitt, Adam Courchaine and Scott Greenham

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
I believe the original post from (PG) was about players who went directly to Major Junior from EOJHL. Jim Howard for instance did not do that. Played in Kanata. Nevin Guy and Paul Byron would be an example of doing this. I don't think there are too many over the years that have not stopped in CJHL for a stint. On another topic, how did Perth let Scott Rathwell get to Westport? Does he not live in Perth?

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario
I believe the original post from (PG) was about players who went directly to Major Junior from EOJHL. Jim Howard for instance did not do that. Played in Kanata. Nevin Guy and Paul Byron would be an example of doing this. I don't think there are too many over the years that have not stopped in CJHL for a stint. On another topic, how did Perth let Scott Rathwell get to Westport? Does he not live in Perth?

Rathwell is a Perth kid. Perth had other 16 year olds that they preferred and dealt his rights to Westport, basically for nothing so he had a place to play.

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Great Development League

:handclap:I think the EOJHL has done a great job in using all of it 16 year old cards. If a team didn't use them, they traded them to teams looking to use them. Unlike the CJHL who only used a little over half of their available cards....good on the EOJHL...as said in the last post, a kid was given a place to play even if it is not his home town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad