Olympics: Enjoy it, Canadian fans, while we can...

• Thread starter OttawaRoughRiderFan*
  • Start date

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
That 1996 team was better than Team Canada and they knew it.

It was a Team Canada arguably missing their entire starting six (Mario Lemieux, Paul Kariya, Ron Francis, Patrick Roy, Ray Bourque and Al MacInnis), but either way the US was clearly the better team in 96. Their one loss was on an offside goal in OT.

avesfan

Aug 20, 2014
Ontario
How long can Canada keep winning at the olympics?

Realistically, anything can happen in an Olympic tournament right? That being said, assuming the NHL continues to send players to the Olympics, how long do you think Canada can continue their Men's Gold medal reign? One more Games, two Games, more than two Games, or is back-to-back the best its gonna get?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Well, Canada always has the cnahce to win a gold, but I think them winnning 2018 is their max for repeats

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Realistically, anything can happen in an Olympic tournament right? That being said, assuming the NHL continues to send players to the Olympics, how long do you think Canada can continue their Men's Gold medal reign? One more Games, two Games, more than two Games, or is back-to-back the best its gonna get?

In a one off, lose and you're out tournament, there is no way to know. On paper, Canada is Golden in 2018 but we never know.

Well, Canada always has the cnahce to win a gold, but I think them winnning 2018 is their max for repeats

Why?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Canada is always the favorite on paper but you have to win 3 straight when it counts and all it takes is one bad game. We saw the close calls in 2010 and eventually one of those games will turn. Slovakia will score that late goal, the US will score that breakaway whatever.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Canada is always the favorite on paper but you have to win 3 straight when it counts and all it takes is one bad game. We saw the close calls in 2010 and eventually one of those games will turn. Slovakia will score that late goal, the US will score that breakaway whatever.

Yup. Just like the WJR run for Canada from 2005 - 2009, as proud as Canadians were, as terrific as our players played, everything over those 5 years went just right.

In a one and out playoff series, all you need is a bad bounce. If it was a 7 game series, then you could bank on Canada winning but not the way it is set up.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Yup. Just like the WJR run for Canada from 2005 - 2009, as proud as Canadians were, as terrific as our players played, everything over those 5 years went just right.

In a one and out playoff series, all you need is a bad bounce. If it was a 7 game series, then you could bank on Canada winning but not the way it is set up.

Xokkeu nailed it right on the head. They could have just one bad game and be out.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It's like the US in basketball where the talent gap is Even bigger, eventually you have a bad game or a badly constructed team or face a hot goalie.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's hockey, and a single game elimination tournament at that. Canada can feasibly win or lose any hockey tournament under those conditions in perpetuity. Canada will be the favourites at the 2018 tournament if the NHL participates and probably in 2022 as well, but beyond that we're talking about a generation that has proven nothing.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
It depends a lot on the development of players like McDavid, MacKinnon, Drouin, etc. but the 2018 team could be - and I'm not afraid to say it - one of the best teams in history. Again, it also depends on the actual McDavid's / MacKinnon's play. But the potential is certainly there. The fact that any of MacKinnon/McDavid/Tavares could end centering a third line says it all.

The talent, and the depth up-front would be getting really nasty if players like Bennet, Monahan, Mantha, Drouin, Barzal, etc., started to reaching their potential.
Don't forget that Nugent-Hopkins is just 21. Then we have players like Skinner, Seguin, Johansen, Duchene, Hall, Huberdeau, or Schwartz, that are still getting better.

I know that a lot may change, but the potential line-up looks crazy. I also personally think that the forward-depth in next 8-10 years is gonna be absolutely ridiculous. :yo:

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It depends a lot on the development of players like McDavid, MacKinnon, Drouin, etc. but the 2018 team could be - and I'm not afraid to say it - one of the best teams in history. Again, it also depends on the actual McDavid's / MacKinnon's play. But the potential is certainly there. The fact that any of MacKinnon/McDavid/Tavares could end centering a third line says it all.

The talent, and the depth up-front would be getting really nasty if players like Bennet, Monahan, Mantha, Drouin, Barzal, etc., started to reaching their potential.
Don't forget that Nugent-Hopkins is just 21. Then we have players like Skinner, Seguin, Johansen, Duchene, Hall, Huberdeau, or Schwartz, that are still getting better.

I know that a lot may change, but the potential line-up looks crazy. I also personally think that the forward-depth in next 8-10 years is gonna be absolutely ridiculous. :yo:

You already had Patrice Bergeron, Sidney Crosby, Jonthan Toews, Ryan Getzlaf centering lines. So even if all of those young, unproven players reach their absolute peak projection possible, Canada still isn't going to be much better than they were in 2014.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
You already had Patrice Bergeron, Sidney Crosby, Jonthan Toews, Ryan Getzlaf centering lines. So even if all of those young, unproven players reach their absolute peak projection possible, Canada still isn't going to be much better than they were in 2014.

If both MacKinnon and McDavid hit 100-point bar, Tavares is a better player than now, and Stamkos actually is on the team, we certainly are going to be stronger, and not just a bit. And I'm not even talking about possible adding in Seguin, or Hall.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
If both MacKinnon and McDavid hit 100-point bar, Tavares is a better player than now, and Stamkos actually is on the team, we certainly are going to be stronger, and not just a bit. And I'm not even talking about possible adding in Seguin, or Hall.

Toews and Crosby are the best two centers in the entire world. Getzlaf is right behind them. Guys like the ones above are going to be moved to the wing (although Stamkos might have stayed at center this year if healthy) like Tavares. All you're really doing is reloading.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Toews and Crosby are the best two centers in the entire world. Getzlaf is right behind them. Guys like the ones above are going to be moved to the wing (although Stamkos might have stayed at center this year if healthy) like Tavares. All you're really doing is reloading.

I was responding to the 'canada isn't going much better than they were in 2014' quote. You said 'even if all of those young, unproven players reach their absolute peak projection possible'.

Of course, besides Crosby, Toews' and Getzlaf's participation in Korea looks given, but it's 4 years from now, you just can't say who's gonna play that position in four years, especially not with the depth Canada has where everything you need is an off season and you are out.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I was responding to the 'canada isn't going much better than they were in 2014' quote. You said 'even if all of those young, unproven players reach their absolute peak projection possible'.

Of course, besides Crosby, Toews' and Getzlaf's participation in Korea looks given, but it's 4 years from now, you just can't say who's gonna play that position in four years, especially not with the depth Canada has where everything you need is an off season and you are out.

What I'm saying is you can't get much better than what you had.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Tavares played centre at the Olympics, and everything that came out from the summer camp and preparations in the following months indicated that Stamkos was expected to play on the wing. I agree that on talent, Canada isn't going to get significantly better at centre though.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Tavares played centre at the Olympics, and everything that came out from the summer camp and preparations in the following months indicated that Stamkos was expected to play on the wing. I agree that on talent, Canada isn't going to get significantly better at centre though.

Did he?
Canada always played the late game, so I was pretty drunk by puck drop for those games.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
What I'm saying is you can't get much better than what you had.

As I said - it depends also on the progress of the young players. The potential is there. I'm not saying it WILL happen, I'm saying it COULD happen. Could MacKinnon hit 95 points in 2016-17 season and, while being one of the best NHL players, end as the third center behind Crosby and Tavares? Yes. This is not as impossible as it may seem.

Last edited:

InsideOut*

Please.

In 2018, Tavares will be way superior to Getzlaf. Canada's centers will be something like Crosby, Tavares, Giroux/Seguin, Toews. Guys like Stamkos and Mackinnon would be move to the wing as they fit better as wingers than the other centers named. Hall, Duchene, Benn will def be on that team. Im guessing McDavid as an extra forward, unless he develops into a superstar fast. Guys like Skinner, Drouin, Johansen could be on it. I might be forgetting some but the offense will be more dangerous than in '14 imo.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
As I said - it depends also on the progress of the young players. The potential is there. I'm not saying it WILL happen, I'm saying it COULD happen. Could MacKinnon hit 95 points in 2016-17 season and, while being one of the best NHL players, end as the third center behind Crosby and Tavares? Yes. This is not as impossible as it may seem.

So basically you replace an 85 point player with a theoretical 95 point ceiling player. Basically a push.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Please.

In 2018, Tavares will be way superior to Getzlaf. Canada's centers will be something like Crosby, Tavares, Giroux/Seguin, Toews. Guys like Stamkos and Mackinnon would be move to the wing as they fit better as wingers than the other centers named. Hall, Duchene, Benn will def be on that team. Im guessing McDavid as an extra forward, unless he develops into a superstar fast. Guys like Skinner, Drouin, Johansen could be on it. I might be forgetting some but the offense will be more dangerous than in '14 imo.

So you have the same core while replacing the older ones with similar players.

I'm glad you agree with me

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Did he?
Canada always played the late game, so I was pretty drunk by puck drop for those games.

Yeah Tavares was the fourth line centre with a revolving door of wingers. Duchene took his spot after his injury. Bergeron was used on Tavares' wing at first, and then was locked in as Crosby's RW.

avesfan

Aug 20, 2014
Ontario
The great thing about centers is that there usually the smartest and most versatile players on a team. I think its a lot easier for a center to move to the wing than vice-versa. I'd have no problem taking 9-10 centers (Crosby, Toews, Duchene, Getzlaf, Tavares, Giroux, Seguin, Bergeron to name a few) and then let them find their chemistry. When you have that much intelligence on the ice, they should be able to find their way around the net

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
If '09 draftees haven't made the 2014 team I doubt they'll make the 2018 team.

Doesn't look like much help from what we can see.

Will Backes, Kesler, Callahan, Brown be able to keep their physical game going until their mid 30s ?

Draftees from 2009 like Kadri, Holland, Schenn, Ellis, Cowen etc. ?

The same reason they didn't make the 2014 Olympic roster is the same for the US - they weren't good enough...at the time of the games.

Again you are going with assumptions. You are assuming the players 30+ will be on a down slope and young American players won't get better from 2014 to 2018. Pretty bold but not as bold as saying "long in the tooth".

Here is something I will assume. Canadian goaltenders will again dominate the U20 WJC and the top ten of NHL goalie stats like they used too in the near future. It's cyclical it will happen.

You have no idea how Kane and the "long in the tooth gang" will perform in 2018 because it is 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad