TSN: End of the Deadline || Fire Benning, his mother, his dog and probably Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
A little late for that given he's been fleeced in most deals he's done to this point.

Exactly, the time to nor get fleeced is when your trading away prospects, picks and roster players

Who cares about the details when its an upcoming ufa you aren't planning to keep

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
How about you learn how to evaluate hockey players.

CcZ3G5MVAAAN_XM.jpg

Russell; might re-sign with Dallas
Hamhuis; won't re-sign

That's why. If you're Dallas and know you have no chance of signing one of the players you can trade for, even if he's better. Do you give up assets or take the guy you think you can keep? Bear in mind, people lost their minds because we gave up stuff for a rental in Roy.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Moj going on about Benning should have accepted whatever was offered for Hammer. I disagree...strongly. What Benning did was serve notice that he won't get fleeced. If he had accepted a 3rd rounder for Hamhuis, every other GM in the league would have noticed and would, rightfully so, expect Benning to cave in future negotiations. Benning made his life in the longer term much easier today.

Yeah, that's how I see it. This would be to repair the previous damage he's already done to himself, though.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Here's my best guess at what happened. Nill knew he needed to shore up his blue line and had Russell and Hamhuis as his targets, with Hamhuis. Benning dithered on the offer that was on the table and Nill, decided he couldn't risk coming away empty handed so he closed the deal on Russell.
This is all conjecture of course but just my guess.
Good GM's like Bowman and Nill want to get their players earlier and not risk walking away empty handed.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
The fan base may be mad at Benning, but you know, I can't imagine the players being pleased with Benning either. In the span of 2 weeks, he already put these guys under the bus:

Vey, Bartkowski, Cracknell, Prust, Higgins, etc.

Sure these guys aren't part of the core, but they're still part of the team.

And then you tell the world that no one wanted Vrbata?

Whatever culture they wanted in Vancouver is not there anymore

I can't imagine the pressure the twins will face in a year if changes are not made. They have to compensate for their **************** coach and management making dumb decisions at all levels.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Hamhuis; won't re-sign

That's why. If you're Dallas and know you have no chance of signing one of the players you can trade for, even if he's better. Do you give up assets or take the guy you think you can keep? Bear in mind, people lost their minds because we gave up stuff for a rental in Roy.

Different. Dallas is loaded with prospects and picks, the Canucks weren't when they traded for Roy.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Hamhuis; won't re-sign

I'd assume most GMs are going after rentals because they want to win the Stanley Cup, not acquire a UFA. That's usually done on July 1, unless they've changed the rules.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Pretty great answers by Benning so far. Very honest in a trying time, negotiating a fan base and media market that's slowly coming to terms with how deep the problems of this franchise are from past regimes.

Yeah. We've gone from a pot hole when he took over to a full blown house swallowing sink hole.

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
Hamhuis; won't re-sign

I would assume the Russell deal was on the table for Hammer so in the Stars' point of view they should maximize value in the short term (playoff run).

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Hamhuis; won't re-sign

That's why.

There was a spot in Hamhuis' presser where, in response to a question about him getting resigned, said something along the lines of "if things went a little differently today, I already would be". He basically insinuated that if he got traded, there was a new contract in place already.

Considering the two big players were Chicago and Dallas, it comes down to one of them. Per Benning, there never was a fully constructed deal in place for Hamhuis with Chicago at any point, although there were lots of talks. Plus, Chicago has a bunch of cap issues to work through and insiders in the past have said how Chicago isn't looking to add on long-term contracts. So Chicago is unlikely to have been the team to offer the contract.

On the other hand, Dallas has a long-term need for defense and Nill himself said they'd rather trade for a longer term player than a rental, not to mention they would have the cap space to do so. This makes me think that if Hamhuis was traded to Dallas, they'd have a new contract in place to sign him on.

If my conclusions based on reports from insiders, Hamhuis, and Benning are right, then your point of view is wrong.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hamhuis; won't re-sign

Hamhuis indicated one of the teams in the running basically had an extension in place. I'd wager it was Dallas, as it seems much more likely than Chicago for cap reasons.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Headline on Yahoo Sports:
'Hamhuis stays put as Canucks bungle deadline'
Missed opportunity: Why didn't Vancouver trade pending UFA Dan Hamhuis to Chicago or Dallas?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I don't follow the rest of the league as much as I used to but damn, I must really be out of touch. I haven't heard of at least half of the players that were moved today.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I know what you're saying but he got nothing for Vrbata and Hamhuis. Hamhuis at least is a valuable asset for a contender. To walk away with not even a second round pick is just an epic failure.

I don't think the 2nd rounder was available....

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Only way we are getting extra picks is at the deadline:

Edler for pair of Bruins 1sts?
Burrows retained for 3rd
Higgins retained for 4th
Miller for pick?

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Yeah, that's how I see it. This would be to repair the previous damage he's already done to himself, though.

If that was Benning's reasoning though, this is absolutely the wrong time to do it. Do it when you're negotiating a trade where you (1) don't need to do make the trade, and (2) are taking on risk if you do make the trade. Don't do it when you're basically getting free assets.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Moj going on about Benning should have accepted whatever was offered for Hammer. I disagree...strongly. What Benning did was serve notice that he won't get fleeced. If he had accepted a 3rd rounder for Hamhuis, every other GM in the league would have noticed and would, rightfully so, expect Benning to cave in future negotiations. Benning made his life in the longer term much easier today.

i tend to agree. Have to say that Calgary played this hand like a champ. forced Nill into overpaying for Russell (probably gave them a take it or leave it deal that had a jet-wick) and screwed over Benning in the process (removing his only real option).....I bet everyone knew about the two team list. Oh well.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Hamhuis; won't re-sign

Who's to say Dan Hamhuis won't resign there? What if Vancouver isn't interested in bringing Hamhuis back, then what? Is he going to retire?

Dan Hamhuis is significantly better than Kris Russel, Dallas has a plethora of young dman in their system Johns, Honka and Lindell there's no guarantee Dallas is looking for a long term solution there, especially when you consider Russell's pedigree.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Taylor too. Saying this day was horrible for business. Losing season ticket holders left right and center.

nice i said this earlier in a different topic, fans arent gonna come back next season unless serious changes are gonna happen. now that they're throwing their season tickets away it goes to show how ****** mgmnt has really ****ed up this season

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Exactly. He's a bad GM and a liar. He's been here long enough to know what type of GM he is. I've heard him state countless times how they weren't interested in a rebuild and we're only looking for 20+ year olds who could play for them now. The today we're apparently in a rebuild looking for picks and draft out own. He and the rest of the clown show are the worst management group we've ever had.

Ownership's fingerprints are all over today's events (non-events). Because they don't want to be seen as "rebuilding", even though it is obvious to everyone that they ARE rebuilding ... and moreover, knowledgeable fans want a rebuild.

But Aquaman obviously doesn't, so he's pressured Benning to acquire players in their 20s, and hopefully thereby avoid a real rebuild.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I'm not surprised Benning bungled the deadline...i predicted as much, however I am surprised at how badly he bungled it. He is a very, very dim human being...seems like a nice guy, but not the sharpest tool in the shed, and not one who should be at the helm of an NHL franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad