End of Season Interviews

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I agree it's totally on him to engage. I was just pointing no one else will do it because of the results, making all the more important for him to engage himself.

May not hurt to play him with a bit of a screwball like Kassian (when Kassian actually Kassians) as teams respond when he gets a little crazy and that in turn bring Lucic into the battle.

Yeah, even just a little bit would have helped him this year. I think we've seen enough Lucic now to know the guy is a completely different player when he's out there thinking he is the king of the rink and intimidating and manhandling guys. He went almost half a season doing none of that. Sole focus was trying to get a goal, exhausted while trying to chase McDavid around and keep up with the play. And the coach seemed completely OK with it all. He got his lucky goal, mission accomplished apparently. It just all looks so dumb in retrospect.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If this is about Chiarelli not doing press yesterday, I think it's pretty common to just let the players handle locker room day then the GM comes out a day or two later but before the playoffs actually start.

How many GMs did you see talk yesterday?
We haven't seen Chia since the TDL. And we've seen him maybe... twice the entire season?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We haven't seen Chia since the TDL. And we've seen him maybe... twice the entire season?

That's fair, but I have no issues that he didn't speak yesterday. The Humboldt thing as well made for yesterday to be moreso a day of mourning and press conferences for otherwise would have been in poor taste. He'll have to face the music sometime over the next two days unless he's been fired.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Yeah I just read on Lowetides blog that Bob McKenzie indicated that his gut feeling is that Chiarelli is safe. He mentioned he thought TM was safe as well but less confident. So if Bob McKenzie is saying that, I doubt its going to happen.
Didn't see that, is it from today? Lowetide posted yesterday that both of them are vulnerable and if it something were to happen it would be soon. I think we will find out by the end of the week.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I can't remember who it was, maybe Spector, on Stauffer's show that said probably neither Chiarelli nor McLellan will be fired, but the assistant coaches are likely to get the boot. McLellan could be overly loyal and could go down with his assistants. What I found interesting from this particular segment was the comment that Babcock has run through many assistant coaches--something like twelve assistant coaches have worked under Babcock.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I can't remember who it was, maybe Spector, on Stauffer's show that said probably neither Chiarelli nor McLellan will be fired, but the assistant coaches are likely to get the boot. McLellan could be overly loyal and could go down with his assistants. What I found interesting from this particular segment was the comment that Babcock has run through many assistant coaches--something like twelve assistant coaches have worked under Babcock.

The assistants don't line match, decide when to call timeouts, etc. I see no reason other than saving Katz money that McLellan should be back. Ultimately he named the assistants and he was part of the staff that had a historically bad special teams.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Every time they could have pushed a little bit more, they didn’t.
We've known this for awhile. Our media is way too soft. I understand you don't want to make it a hostile event but at some point you have to ask the hard hitting questions.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Lol at McClellan fumbling over words when asked about his assistants fate.
He knows that axe is coming

tenor.gif

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lol at McClellan fumbling over words when asked about his assistants fate.
He knows that axe is coming

tenor.gif

I think you’ll see Woodcroft and Hebers go, but JJ is likely staying given the improvement in the PK to end the season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think you're right.

I'm more concerned with Chiarelli staying than McLellan.
As short as the leash should be for Todd next season, Chiarelli's should have run out long ago.
I’m not on the “Fire Chia” bandwagon but if he keeps Mclellan and this team has another October like this year then they can both be fired in November. There was enough to see this year from Mclellan to know he isn’t taking this team anywhere. If Chiarelli wants to ignore that, it’s at his own peril.

Reactions: PulYou

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I’m not on the “Fire Chia” bandwagon but if he keeps Mclellan and this team has another October like this year then they can both be fired in November. There was enough to see this year from Mclellan to know he isn’t taking this team anywhere. If Chiarelli wants to ignore that, it’s at his own peril.

That's fair enough.

I will say I think Chia ignores a great many things pertinent to his job description.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I 100 % think management will not change and neither will coaching and they will place all the blame on the players "not living up to expectations"

Reactions: OilDrop37

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
pretty sure both are safe for another year. just hope chia doesnt do anything stupid ,like he has done in the past.Todd also needs to come into the year with some fresh ideas .If the season starts off rough it will get ugly fast and im sure todd will get the boot at that point,maybe will be to late by then though

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Thought Mclellan gave a good interview. Didn't try to deflect any responsibility, and showed a willingness to re-evaluate and adjust. Whether or not he's capable of doing that remains to be seen. I get the impression he's not going anywhere, and the saving grace will be lack of a clear upgrade, since I doubt Chiarelli will want to gamble his future with the organization on an unproven coach.

Is Chiarelli doing one of these too? I thought after the trade deadline I read somewhere that his next scheduled media availability was sometime in May.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Stauffer said a couple of times on his show today that Chiarelli would be having his media availability either tomorrow or Wednesday, wasn't sure which.

Reactions: Cypress

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad