End of Season Interviews

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Are apparently happening right now... while the "head coach" is in Saskatoon. Read into that as you will.

Updates as they become available. Video and audio will probably be available on the Oilers website.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Holy **** that Lucic interview is depressing
cat.gif

Reactions: Summary

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Holy **** that Lucic interview is depressing

In that interview Lucic strikes me as a person that has been high achiever for a long time and now for the first time in forever he's truly doubting his abilities. It must be tough for him to look in a mirror at this point, let alone face the media.

The Oilers need to make sure he's seeing both a good sports psychologist and skating coach this summer.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
There's only one interview I'm looking forward to. Can't wait to see how Tobias will spin this shitshow of a season.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
In that interview Lucic strikes me as a person that has been high achiever for a long time and now for the first time in forever he's truly doubting his abilities. It must be tough for him to look in a mirror at this point, let alone face the media.

The Oilers need to make sure he's seeing both a good sports psychologist and skating coach this summer.

I blame TMacT for that as much as anyone. He's the genius who thought the best way to break one of his more speed-challenged players out of a slump was to play him on a line with the game's fastest skater, thus ensuring he also had to play against top D/Cs as well.

Looch will be fine if he can drop some weight and start the year on a unit built around his strengths. That means no PP, no top six usage right away- give it to him easy so he can build his confidence and actually contribute something.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Lucic is the type of guy who will reinvent himself this summer to be better or physical damage himself trying.

Guy is a competitor and has never had a low like this. He is a smart hockey guy and I think he knows what he has to do to improve. The question is if his body can do what it needs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I blame TMacT for that as much as anyone. He's the genius who thought the best way to break one of his more speed-challenged players out of a slump was to play him on a line with the game's fastest skater, thus ensuring he also had to play against top D/Cs as well.

Looch will be fine if he can drop some weight and start the year on a unit built around his strengths. That means no PP, no top six usage right away- give it to him easy so he can build his confidence and actually contribute something.
I think starting him in the pre season on a line with Khaira and Kassian could get him going imo

Reactions: Panda Bear

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

The problem with this line of thought is that Lucic has only really ever had success in his career playing with elite offensive players in the top 6.

In Boston he played with Krejci

In LA he played with Kopitar

Milan Lucic was brought in to be a compliment to our top 6. It's what he's done his entire career. Those are his "strengths" as a player. Putting him on a 3rd line with 3rd line grinders he'll be lucky to break 20 points.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The problem with this line of thought is that Lucic has only really ever had success in his career playing with elite offensive players in the top 6.

In Boston he played with Krejci

In LA he played with Kopitar

Milan Lucic was brought in to be a compliment to our top 6. It's what he's done his entire career. Those are his "strengths" as a player. Putting him on a 3rd line with 3rd line grinders he'll be lucky to break 20 points.

That's why I say "start the year". I agree, $6M on the third line is not a good investment. But if he's going to play in the top six at some point, he's going to need to a) earn it b) be in the right mindset for it. There's a better chance you see both if he gets to bat against AA competition to kick the year off.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People need to tone down their expectations for Lucic. It's clear he crumbles under pressure and gets into his own head.

15 goals, 40 points is a reasonable expectation nex year for him. I suspect his back condition is starting to kick in and he doesn't want to admit it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's why I say "start the year". I agree, $6M on the third line is not a good investment. But if he's going to play in the top six at some point, he's going to need to a) earn it b) be in the right mindset for it. There's a better chance you see both if he gets to bat against AA competition to kick the year off.

I think it's fine to say Lucic shouldn't be gifted a top 6 spot out of camp.

I just wouldn't expect him to do anything from the bottom 6 either.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I think it's worth giving Lucic the opportunity to start with Draisaitl. Hope Lucic can work some of his issues out over the summer.

There really is no other option. They aren't buying him out and they aren't trading him no matter how many fantasy proposals get posted here. Lucic is a competitor and knows he had a horrendous second half of the season, we need to pray he gets his shit together because at the end of the day, he's not going anywhere.

Reactions: ujju2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
People need to tone down their expectations for Lucic. It's clear he crumbles under pressure and gets into his own head.

15 goals, 40 points is a reasonable expectation nex year for him. I suspect his back condition is starting to kick in and he doesn't want to admit it.

This hasn't been "clear" at any point in his career.

Nor is there anything to suggest that he's having any sort of back problems.

As for expectations for Lucic next year? Who knows... before Christmas he was on pace for 20 goals and 60 points.

What flipped the switch for him to go from having a pretty good year to being pure garbage? No idea. We can speculate as much as we want. But we should be expecting more out of the player than 40 points.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This hasn't been "clear" at any point in his career.

Nor is there anything to suggest that he's having any sort of back problems.

As for expectations for Lucic next year? Who knows... before Christmas he was on pace for 20 goals and 60 points.

What flipped the switch for him to go from having a pretty good year to being pure garbage? No idea. We can speculate as much as we want. But we should be expecting more out of the player than 40 points.

Well I think you're setting him up for failure if you're gonna expect that from him. He's at some point not going to be at that pace and probably start to panic again, then the same cycle starts where he begins to grip his stick too tight.

It's better to keep expectations low and in check. Also dude has a degenerative back condition, why is it not a good possibility that that is kind of kicking in?

The other problem with Lucic, he doesn't really ever have seemed to have great chemistry with any of the three centers. McDavid, no. Draisaitl, only once in a while. Ditto for RNH. There's no one on this team that he plays with even last year where he was better where you go "wow, they have great chemistry" for any extended stretch. He's just a bad fit on this team. Maroon was far better of a fit.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

“Scheuermann’s disease does not typically get worse once the individual has stopped growing”

Surgery for Scheuermann's Disease

“There is no reason why people can not return to full activity including all sports“

“The pain from active Scheuermann’s Disease will eventually pass and for the majority of people, they will have no further trouble from their thoracic vertebrae”

Scheuermann's Disease

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad